• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible Jeep Project....

rmgill

My plans/hopes are to make it into a good runabout for WWII Events. It'll take a lot more money to make it any kind of show vehicle with a hope of winning. I'm not sure if I want to invest in a whole new steel tub for the body, even though it does appear to have a good bit of rust in the engine bay. The Roll cage is bolted on so that's easy to remove. And I know that the postwar Jeeps had tailgates that the WWII jeeps didn't have. Ultimately, I'll probably make it look like a slightly used British Airborne jeep with the cut down bumpers and such. Whattaya think?

rmgill

How easy is that to make look like an MB? I'm not going for a show vehicle but something I'm not going to be afraid to flog around in the woods at WWII events and more or less abuse lightly. ie it'll be working for it's pay.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be a cj2a. Looks like a lot of work! See if if has the data tags on the dash, and under the hood on the fire wall. Very easy to look like a military jeep.
Is there a windshield nearby? Split windshield is 2A.
Dennis

Last edited:

Todd Haley

Hi Ryan,
It's a 2a, the drainage slot in the pass. side of the body gives it away. All ya would have to do to make it "look" like a MB is to change the grill, put a solid rear panel and add the tool indentions to the drivers side. Also, you'll have to change the hood and windshield as a WWII MB did not say WILLYS on those parts, the 2A does. Oh, and add a glovebox in the dash! :wink:

NEIOWA

marksgarage2 said:
Thats a cj2a. I have 2 of them. The red one sat for 45 years in a garage and was in good shape. My green one was outside and the engine was froze. How much do they want for it?
See the link. Bid.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryan

Its a CJ2A. All you have to do to make it look the part is change the grill to a WWII one. Add grab handles, replace the fuel tank with one for a MB and cover the fuel filler hole. As far as the taile gate part. replace with a solid panel or you can install the spare tire carrier and jerry can on the back of the tail gate. You will hardly notice the tail gate.

I have "converted" several of these jeeps to look a like WWII jeeps will pass the 5 foot rule easy.

Chuck

rmgill

So I picked the jeep up. It was pretty locked up, the front right springs were pulled away from the hangers in the process of loading it (dragging it bodily up the trailer with the winch on the deuce. Getting it off is going to be fun. Probably going to have to move the trailer to where it needs to be and somehow chain it in place and drag the trailer out from under.

$100 for a starter project is good though. If anything I'll get a buncha parts out of it to get to someone else, but I'm going to strip it down to component parts and then go through the frame then axles and x-fer case/tranny and engine. Once that's all good and it runs on a temporary setup, I'll get a replacemnet tub, fenders and other sheet metal.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the flatfender jeeps. They just have so much style, in my mind, than the later CJ types, and TONS more than the Wrangler series (the Iacocca Jeeps), and the newer ZJ series.

Ryan, here's a website for a almost "one-stop-shop" for early Jeep parts, NOS and repro:

http://www.rigidsteel.com

rmgill

I'll be looking at sites like that eventually. First I need to tear all the rust off and start looking at the parts that are salvageable. I'm hoping the frame isn't too badly gone and that the running gear/engine is good. From there I can get a new sheet metal assembly and some gauges and such and be good. Wiring is easy. On something as small as a jeep, I can re-wire and make up a harness no problem. Especially since I'll be running some of the typically british accessories.

pa.rich

Ryan ,I told ya so! Its a CJ2A Thats the same condition mine was in when I got it at 16 years old. I still have pictures of it and the work on it, Had alot of fun with it. It can be done but alot of money. I would just strip it down and go from there. Its an ambitious project obviously. Less and less of them around.I just made mine into a beater snow plow machine but it looked nice . As I said last nite, they are a blast to drive off road and in low range you can drive almost anywhere.Wish I still had them, had two.The axles, you cant kill em. The trans and transfer were wore out , engine ran but smoked. Ended up with a rebuilt trans, transfer from a 61 and engine from 61 CJ5. It was a mixed breed but all jeep. Ran trails with it for years. Great fun. My buddies had on e like it and other guy a bronco.. Nice thing about them is they dont take alot of space in the garage.

maxim

Looks to be a 2A. This one was in the ground up to the hubs. There was a hood on it and suprisingly took the engine out and put it on the garage floor, hookd up a battery and some fuel, it started up and purred like a kitten..I found 2 more destined for the shredder and took them all apart and kept the best parts. This was 20 years ago. Before all the new replacemnt parts. It is still a work in progress.

Attachments

pa.rich

I will try to scan my old pics. and post um .That was 1968 til early 70's if I recall correctly.
Here they are it only took 2 hours this time.
hope you like them ..they are out of order
We don't have any pictures of when I took it home but it had sat for 25 years out in the weather .got it running in one hour.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks