• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilian tires for Gama Goat

M1075

Hi,
I didn´t find any civilian tieres for the goat up to know.
The only source I know ist this company...

Greetings from Northern Germany,
Ulf
The Goat Whisperer! My gosh, we are going to need more pics of your goat!

I think I heard Jack Tomlin sold goat tires on the rim. A friend bought a container full a few years back.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you want modern civilian tires, or correct Goat tires?

goat whisperer

Hi Mike,
I don´t know how, but the goat works fine...
After fixing the brake system (replacing all the brake hoses) I took the first ride on a highway...
And the Goat runs like an antelope :???:
Up to now there is no need to readjust the governor, thanks God! :roll:
I´ve no idea what kind of problems the prior owner had.
Everything seems to be fine, nearly 60 mph :grin:
But now I´m searching for a really bad crack on the right front side of the Goat when I start to roll. U-joints are ok, seems to be inside the differenzial / balancing gear :?: (I´ve no idea what it´s called in englisch)
It only happens somtimes... but than the hole Goat shakes! Something stuck and suddenly dissolves!?
But I´ll find it... eventually...

Gamagoat1

Ulf,
The center Diff. has pivot joints on it's front and rear. It pivots with the tractor rear suspension. If they haven't been greased they stick and make a terrible crack when trying to move. There is a shim on the rear pivot joint that was left out on many vehicles. Check this, if it's not there let me know and I'll help you further. Get on Gamagoat.com and you'll see pictures of mine and the installation.
Best way to check is jack the rear tractor wheels off the ground, together, and try to lift the wheel on one side. This should pivot the entire rear suspension about 6 or so degrees.

This is one of the fun parts of rebuilding the Goat.
Take care Ulf!

Does anyone have CAD or blueprints of the Gama Goat rims? I'm researching swap able alternates and need them to see what tire/rim combinations can be made to fit. Once done I'll post on line various options for others to use.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct tires are 1100 x 18 inch rim, same size as the DUKW. Because the Goat is designed to go in the water, there is a lot of 'other' stuff for the rims to do - the brakes are in their own waterproof housing for one. Unless Coker Tire has had another batch made, Joel got the last seven they had - and they were made in 2013, in Taiwan.

Gamagoat1

The DUKW tires were 12 ply. Goat tires are 6 ply. There are off road tires that are 1.00 x 18. They are nice and expensive. Just Google the size.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Original goat tires were marvelous; 11.00-18, tubeless, steel belted BIAS tires. To my knowledge, only made by Goodyear in the original configuration. NLA, sorry.

You can find Duck tires, but they are really stiff and don't work worth a hoot off-road.

42" tall 18's are available at better off-road stores, but run around $500 per.

I know the Russkis used 18's on some tactical trucks but I have no idea if they are any good.

Dennis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks