• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radio Mount question?

Steamynachos

Hi all I am looking for pictures or info on how to mount a radio in a 5ton. I am picking up my (new to me) 1976 M813a1 with cherry picker today and would like to mount my PRC-77 in it. I have the Am2060 tray and cabels to mount I just dont know where the radio goes in these trucks as I cant find any pics or info on them mounted. My truck is Canadian so it has the hard top and all the winter kit with it. I have heard of a rack that replaces the rear window of the truck that holds the radio but have not seen one.
Any help would be great.

Crazyguyla

I had the pleasure of installing a SINCGARS Radio and mount into a M900 series 5Ton. It's the same mount can be used for all series 5tons, but i'm not sure if it'll interfere with shifting. The mount sits over the seat where the middle passenger would be. there's a brace that comes up from the floor and brace that bolts to the rear of the cab under the window; for hard tops, the lip has to be beant down for the brace to fit. This setup is so the driver can operate and drive the radio at the same time. Or for a simpler instillation, it can be mounted under the seat like Bjorn has hid radio.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crazy,

Those 5 ton mounts you decribe are CRAP. They rattle themselves appart, and dont allow easy access to the battery compartment.

Crazyguyla

emmado22 said:
Crazy,

Those 5 ton mounts you decribe are CRAP. They rattle themselves appart, and dont allow easy access to the battery compartment.
EXACTLY!! did I forget to mention that small detail?? rofl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had VIC-1 stuff in my tractor and cargo truck at one time. I'll get you a basic list here. Some of the cabling will be different if you use the MX-7777 supressor with the system but for basic ops, here's what you need.
1) AM-1780 amplifier (heart of the system)
2) C-2298 or C-10456 control boxes. Need minimm of 2 for a 2 person intercom.
3) H-161 headsets or CVC helmets. Again, one for each position
4) CX-4723 cables. Need as many of these as you have station. They come in varying lengths.
5) CX-4720 power cabe.
This gets you a basic operational system. I've found that of the H-161C/U thru G/U headsets, the later ones have better ear cushions and sound reduction properties. I sold both of my systems because the headsets are just too hot here in FL.

Longhunter7

Radios?

Steamynachos,

Check the Military Radios and other Electronics section of this Forum! You might find some useful information there! :arrow:

There is also a Yahoo group for the VIC-1 system.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, Kenny got the VIC-1 connections covered.

When the radio mount (MT-1029) and the suppressor (MX-7777) are part of the system, the following cables are needed:
From batteries to MX-7777: CX-10613/VRC
From MX-7777 to MT-1029: CX-13089/VRC, there are two output connectors on the MX-7777 and I also have one output going to my 24 to 12 volt regulator.
From the MT-1029 to the VIC-1 AM-1780: CX-4723

Keep in mind that the VIC-1 AM-1780 is not protected from reverse polarity and the MX-7777 is supposed to be used when the intercom is part of the system.

The MX-7777 (MX-7778 when hardware is included) protects the radio/intercom from reverse polarity and voltage spikes. It also has a circuit breaker in case of shorts.

PS. I don't have the radio (RT-524 or PRC-77), but assume they will fit below the seat here. The available space is just over 8 inches.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can confirm that the RT524 and PRC77 on the AM2060 adapter do fit nicely under the seat.

Prerunner1982

in my 5ton wrecker the Singuar was mounted under the seat as well, with an external speaker run the passenger side and mounted in the lower corner of the hardtop..

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another option my 88M's did was bolt the radio to the side of the passenger seat, facing up. CECOM liked the idea, but TACOM said it wasnt good... We did it anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks