• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

an interesting deuce conversion

Desert Rat

MM;
I can see me building something like that for my son when he gets to driving age. I want something that will be tough, unique, slower than a car, yet be able to drive on the highway, and be able to get out of most off-road situations. He would also have an appreciation for the limits of full semi's limitations in cornering and braking. Cheap on parts and insurance too.

sprucemt

The JATonka conversion makes the truck gvw at 15000 pounds with the single rear axle on the 1400R20 tires. Placement of the rear axle could be elsewhere at additional cost. Also, a second rear axle could be added, again at additional cost. The single axle set up can be made as a steerable axle, at additional cost. The JATonka conversion priceing starts with a basic setup. The options are many.

Monster Man

hello Spruce Mountain, welcome aboard!

It's very cool looking, don't get me wrong, the steerable axle would be trick too. It's just, well, so small it can't possibly be a deuce! you know what I mean. Guess it's easier to start with a deuce that's already laid out, has way tougher frame and running gear then to try to adapt it to a smaller truck like an M37. I think if it were a little longer with a tad more lift it would be just right :)

sprucemt

All duece! Only thing smaller that I can think of is the wheelbase. The rear axle is in the same place as it was, on rehung springs. You cut off the extra frame, add a box and there you have it. Leaving the rear axle in the original front axle location eliminates the need for a different driveshaft. If you put the rear axle in any other position, you would need to build a longer drive shaft. This can be done. But at this point no one has requested that. Remember this is a custom conversion of the an owners duece and there are a lot of options. JATonka # 3 just came out of the shop as a fire department brush truck and is on its way to Long Island NY today. Same style but very, very RED. Also has a rear differential disc braking system which is also available as a JATonka option.

Monster Man

sprucemtsurplus.com said:
All duece! Only thing smaller that I can think of is the wheelbase. The rear axle is in the same place as it was, on rehung springs. You cut off the extra frame, add a box and there you have it. Leaving the rear axle in the original front axle location eliminates the need for a different driveshaft. If you put the rear axle in any other position, you would need to build a longer drive shaft. This can be done. But at this point no one has requested that. Remember this is a custom conversion of the an owners duece and there are a lot of options. JATonka # 3 just came out of the shop as a fire department brush truck and is on its way to Long Island NY today. Same style but very, very RED. Also has a rear differential disc braking system which is also available as a JATonka option.
very cool! I'm curious how the brake system was plumbed up. Is it in addition to the stock air over hydraulic, or was it used exclusively? If in addition how did they route th fluid?

sprucemt

The JATonka fire department brush truck's differential braking system is a third brake with a single caliper. Dual calipers are available. I will check out the plumbing when it gets back. With the air assist power steering (airmatic) and such, a 3rd airtank was also installed.

Monster Man

cool. Yeah, I installed a cable operated pinion parking brake, mostly for parking but also emergencies, every little bit helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks