• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel

85cj88yj

Can my deuce run on marine diesel fuel? i was looking at the difference between road and marine diesel fuel and there is a significant amount of difference in the sulfur content. highway diesel shows a maximum of 15ppm sulfur, the marine fuel i can get is a maximum of 500 ppm sulfur. will that damage my 1966 multifuel engine?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's better for your engine than what you can get at the pump. The more sulfur the better for the IP.

DieselBob

The deuce will run fine. The 15ppm is for newer diesels that have egr's and catalytic converters. the 500ppm has a higher lubrication value which is really better for the ip and injectors on the deuce.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marine diesel, like farm use diesel, has slightly higher sulfur, and no highway use tax added to the price. I don't know if it is also dyed a different color, so the police can detect the difference.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Burning red dyed off road diesel in a vehicle used on the road is a pretty big risk. One thing our government takes Very Seriously is collection of taxes. The fine is enormous.

I have heard of farmers running two tanks, but I think the tax collectors have probably thought of that too.

Consider that if the fuel system recirculates unused fuel back to the tank, when you switch between tanks, dyed fuel would be pumped into the other tank. It takes about five tanks of fuel to flush out the dyed fuel.

I have wondered about this in considering using WMO in a separate tank to fuel my deuce.

If I start the deuce on straight diesel, run it on WMO from a separate tank, and cool it down on straight diesel to flush the lines for easier starting, will WMO get pumped back to the diesel tank?

Does the unused fuel get recirculated to the tank or not?

Westex

There have been checks in Texas, but those said checks have been long lost. We have bigger fish to fry....like border incursions....etc....and hey, I would love to have some highly sulphurous diesel fuel. Sulphur exists in diesel as a lubricant and is very slippery.. The Deuce injection pump will love it. Trust me. Sulphurous diesel is a good thing. I'm surprised you can still find it.

stampy

Anyone ever gotten a fine from running WVO? It is diesel colored (golden) so I figure you would get a pass. I never had anyone check my tank. This also helps to lube your injection pump!:-D

Chief_919

I have been checked in my diesel pickup and so have many other farmers in my county and across SC.
In NC it is very common for them to show up at places where they know a lot of diesels will be and start dipping tanks. They love stockyards, farm shows and equipment auctions since farmers are most likely to have tanks full of off road diesel at home.

Chief_919

Anyone ever gotten a fine from running WVO? It is diesel colored (golden) so I figure you would get a pass. I never had anyone check my tank. This also helps to lube your injection pump!:-D
In NC non-commercial users running WVO are exempt from the tax requirement as long as your tax liability for the tax would have been under $2000.

If you run it in a commercial vehicle, or run it in amounts where your tax on it would exceed $2000 in a year, then you have to pay the road use tax.

Westex

I can only speak for Texas, but usually, they are looking for a red dye in a truck or whatever is being driven on a public road. If they find red, they can actually seize your vehicle. I carry lots of Marvel Mystery Oil with me just in case; never had a problem. Texaco diesel is clear; everybody else is dyed green; I don't know why, but if one were to fill up at Texaco, and then add Marvel, ???? You be the Judge.

southdave

In oil when i was a kid, we had tank and we bought gas it eas tax exempt, the oldman estimating what was used on the road and pay taxes on that, I belive that is how it still done here maybe some knows. I aways thought that farm plates exempt you from dot crap because it part of DOA. I run dump trucks without A CDL went though the wiegh station they told me just keep moving after the ask me where I going.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks