• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange happening w GL refund

tblackbu_77

So I compared the GL Pic of my Deuce that I won to what I saw when I went to look after I won it. Cargo cover was torn off and laying on the ground. GL rep stated bad windstorm came through and tore it off. So while I was waiting for my firs EUC to clear I filed a claim based on what the GL Region Mgr told me for replacement cost of a cargo cover and 3 bows. A few mins ago I get an email from GL stating they are refunding my entire amount and I will no longer be able to pick up the truck. WTF, Over

I never reuqested a total refund and I want my truck.

Anyone ever had this happen to them ?

Todd:x

bigelk50

Man that is bad luck!! I have never had anything bad happen with GL knock on wood. I would be on the phone with them to straighten this mess us. Good luck!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the just gave you a refund because it was the easiest thing to do. Instead of getting you a new cover or refunding the amount of a cover they just canceled the sale and will resell the truck. GL will always take the easiest way out. Make sure they didn't hit you with a default fee or suspend your account.

Carl_in_NH

Sounds like the just gave you a refund because it was the easiest thing to do. Instead of getting you a new cover or refunding the amount of a cover they just canceled the sale and will resell the truck. GL will always take the easiest way out.
That's exactly what they did - and from their perspective, it makes sense; they are not in the damage negotiation business - they just move surplus. The truck wasn't as stated, you called them on it, and it's much less problem for them to void the sale and sell the truck as-is to someone that will take it as it stands. Time is money, and the time it would take to come to an agreement with you on the amount to deduct from the purchase price might just null out the profit.

If you'd said something like, "just give me the cover and bows of another truck that you've not listed yet" it might have ended there with the replacement parts handed over to you.

Same thing could have happened on eBay, or a private sale. You buy the truck, it gets damaged before pick up, and the seller doesn't want to negotiate, so the sale is voided.

I doubt they did anything to ding you on your account when the sale was made void in this case - but if they did I'd have a talk with them.

tblackbu_77

Sounds like the just gave you a refund because it was the easiest thing to do. Instead of getting you a new cover or refunding the amount of a cover they just canceled the sale and will resell the truck. GL will always take the easiest way out. Make sure they didn't hit you with a default fee or suspend your account.
DING DING DING, we have a winner. I talked to nice lady at GL a short time ago. In so many words it was explained to me thats what happened. That it will be cheaper for them to refund than nego. a replacement cover. In my claim form I asked that the first course of action be a simple replacement cover with Bows, then second course be a refund for a replacement purchase. Did find out this truck has been defaulted once before( so it must be sitting on a indian burial ground).

I was advised that I could dismiss the claim and get the truck but couldn't file a future claim.

Oh well.

Thanks for the input

Todd

Oh well I may just walk and find another one.

Carl_in_NH

Not to worry, you'll find another one.

My hint is to always try to handle this kind of thing at the 'local' GL level. If they can make it right without having to file paperwork with HQ, there's a chance it will work out. As soon as forms start-a-flying, then it's much less problem for them to just pull the plug and do the sale over.

coyotegray

So I compared the GL Pic of my Deuce that I won to what I saw when I went to look after I won it. Cargo cover was torn off and laying on the ground. GL rep stated bad windstorm came through and tore it off. So while I was waiting for my firs EUC to clear I filed a claim based on what the GL Region Mgr told me for replacement cost of a cargo cover and 3 bows. A few mins ago I get an email from GL stating they are refunding my entire amount and I will no longer be able to pick up the truck. WTF, Over

I never reuqested a total refund and I want my truck.

Anyone ever had this happen to them ?

Todd:x
How dare you have the audacity to ask for what you paid for and waist the time of the great GL. You have been punished.

Reminds me of the "Soup Nazi" on Sinfield. "No truck for you!!":x

Andy..

gunboy1656

That stinks,

I would watch for the truck and see what pics they use. Since it was defaulted on before, they may have used very old pics when it went up for your bid.

KsM715

Not to worry, you'll find another one.

My hint is to always try to handle this kind of thing at the 'local' GL level. If they can make it right without having to file paperwork with HQ, there's a chance it will work out. As soon as forms start-a-flying, then it's much less problem for them to just pull the plug and do the sale over.

Unfortunately this is how stuff goes missing from other trucks. Ive seen it in many post where someone asked for a replacement part and they (the GL guy) walk over to another truck and take it off. It just passes the problem down the line til someone accepts the truck as is or they relist it, now this time with the missing part.

Carl_in_NH

Unfortunately this is how stuff goes missing from other trucks.
Understand - that's why I specifically stated you want parts of a truck that hasn't been listed yet if you're in a situation like this.

Edit - I stated 'not listed yet' in my first post, and neglicted to reiterate it in the post you quoted; I should have - because that's the key point here -

If they either take parts off a truck that's been sold or already listed - or instruct you to do so - that would constitute outright theft, and should be reported to the GL management and local law enforcement.

This cuts both ways - you don't want to end up with a truck that someone has taken parts off, and therefore have to refuse to engage in that activity even to make your purchase 'whole'. If you see stuff like this going on, it's time to move it up the ladder in GL with a complaint. It might end up nulling out your sale, too - but right is right.

Last edited:

KsM715

Carl, I understand what you meant. But I believe if you ask the guy to take care of it locally, with out getting HQ involved, your asking him to just go get the part your missing. I beleive the OP did it the right way but unfortunately GL SUCKS in the customer service dept. They have all the phone numbers to call and the online chat thing to make it appear to the unsuspecting that they are there to help but in the end we all know its "if you dont want it now the way it is, someone else will"

Westech, you have an unfair advantage, one your on post everyday, and two your active duty and Im sure they dont give you a second look when your out there poking around. You suck :p

tblackbu_77

Tony is the Mgr in Richmond, stand up guy. Met him several times. Based on some comments from others I asked him," Hey do you think we can swap this cover out for one's that on a truck that hasn't been listed yet ? His response, I haven't been here but a few months, but I don't think thats in the policy and I can't risk something like that.

I can respect that

Nonotagain

How dare you have the audacity to ask for what you paid for and waist the time of the great GL. You have been punished.

Reminds me of the "Soup Nazi" on Sinfield. "No truck for you!!":x

Andy..
It's too bad that there is not a system in place to rate your experience with Government Liquidation as a seller like EBay has in place. If there were one, GL would have to have all of their sales monies going into an escrow account until the customer was satisfied.

Is GL going to pay interest on your money that they sat on since the sale thru the EUC process?

My credit card companies start charging interest on any purchases I make provided I was carry a balance on that account.

Carl_in_NH

I understand what you're trying to say, Jeff - but I think we differ on the key point of asking them to handle an issue in a way that does not harm someone else that's already entered into a transaction (whether the item has just been photographed and listed, or actually sold).

If I asked them to handle it locally and explicitly asked them to get a part from an truck that hadn't been listed or sold, in no way would I be asking them to just take the part from any truck and solve my problem at the expense of someone else. I suspect in many cases they couldn't accommodate the request if they didn't have a lot of inventory coming in, anyway. Simply put, I'd be asking them to solve my problem in a morally and ethically proper way. If they can't accommodate that request, then so be it - kick the forms up to GL management and / or void the sale (or take the loss on whatever is missing yourself and keep moving).

To be fair to the local GL folks that I've dealt with, I've never had a problem with stuff getting stolen from anything I've purchased so far. I know how ticked off I'd be when or if it happened

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They recently did the same thing to me. Refunded me on a truck that they crashed after I purchased it. I filed a claim for the damage and they refunded the truck. Problem was, I had filed for the EUC because some of the other trucks we bought were not mine and my partners needed their EUC's. While I was waiting for resolution on the claim, they sent me the EUC for the truck...OOPS.

I was now the legal owner of the truck, evan though it was sitting at Redstone. I paid $1100 for the truck (55 Studebaker) and I estimated the damage at $960, just in parts. I said I'd take care of the labor.

In my claim, I stated that the truck was not available for preview, evan though I tried to make an appointment to preview. The pictures were taken in IL. The truck was sold out of Redstone. So I won the truck, it still was not at Redstone, I filed the EUC - still not at Redstone. EUC approved - Still not at Redstone.

So they finally moved the truck to Redstone 2 weeks after my EUC was approved. And someone between IL & AL crashed the front end of the truck. We were going to convoy the 3 trucksd to AZ. I asked the site contact to take a quick look at the trucks, I was told that one had a crashed front end. Wait a minute, the pictures that were taken in IL showed 3 straight trucks. So I asked the site contact to take some pictures of the truck, they did and sent them to me. Yep, now the front end was crashed.

So, as I said above I filed a claim. after 45 days I got an email that said only "Claim Approved" your payment has been refunded. No where did it say I couldn't have the truck. I thought "wow" they are doing the right thing. The convoy was now off and the other 2 trucks were transported to AZ a month earlier. In the mean time I had won an M49A2C at Redstone and planned to transport both trucks together. I called the site and was told yep the truck is yours, come and get it.

So I lined up transport for 2 trucks. My driver showed up on time and was told, he was only getting one truck, the other one had been taken away, refunded, canceled. The driver called me, I called GL and they held the party line. I quickly informed them that I was the legal owner as they had sent me the Power of Attorney and the SF97.

They quickly escalated me to a supervisor. (At this point I called my driver and told him to get off the base with my M49A2C, as it was not headed in a good direction) The GL Customer Service Superviser informed me that I would have to file another claim to get this resolved. I informed him that there would be no more claims and demanded that they release my property immediately. I imformed them that I would be filling a police report with both base police and the local police that day (which I did). They said they'd get right back to me, the next person up the chain at GL called me quite quickly. He informed that I would have to send the POW & SF97 back. I said, I don't think so, you will need to release my truck today. They said they'd get back to me but I was done with them. They had already caused enough trouble.

At this point, I broke off communications and turned it over to my attorney. I also provided my attorney with a copy of the "Term and Conditions" (T's & C's) from the GL website.

We were prepared to file suit here in AZ. The story is longer but I'll cut to the chase, accoding to GL's own T's & C's (which is a contract with the buyer) they have no right to arbitrarily cancel a sale in the manner that they did with me or possibly you. Granted I had the SF97. After some nasty negotialtions, GL's attorney decided to settle and give me the truck for what I had proposed $160.00

My attorney cost me a few $$, but in the end, I was prepared to fight this. It was the initial rudeness, lack of any clear communications and the absolute indifference to the fact that I had a truck at the base ready to haul it to AZ (after I was told to come and pick it up).

The truck was removed from Redstone this week and should be at Wreckermans place by now.

My point in this long story is that GL should held accountable, and can be. I've read to many stories on here about people getting absolutely screwed when damage or parts are stolen after the sale but before the pick up. Bruce Kubu's story sticks out in my mind. It's time that GL treated it's customers with respect, and I don't mean the site managers, some of them are great (forklift drivers excepted). It's the management in Snottsdale and the utter lack of regard for the people who pay their salleries and bonuses.

By the way - Please don't tell me about the great relationship you have with GL, I understand that, I had one too until I had to file a claim. (I do continue to be respectfull and professional in all my dealings with them)

Before and after pictures below.

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for sharing that Kevin. It's good to see somebody standing up to GL and winning. I've bought some stuff that was damaged or things stolen but the stuff this happened to I got a good deal anyway so I just took it and didn't file anything. I won a engine one time that was listed as a "LDS 465" but when I picked it up it was an LDT 465. I only gave $170 for it so all it did was turn a deal of the century into just a good deal.

KsM715

Well put Kevin. GL needs to be stood up to. I wish everyone had the ability to do it. (money and lawyers) Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I read about people standing up on principles alone, even if it cost you more in the end.:beer:

Nice truck for 160 bucks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks