• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTF is this from the turbo?

aaronedwards82

it looks to me, to be soot mixed with water coming from the exhaust clamp on the exhaust housing.
Did it rain pretty hard there this morning or this evening? Looked pretty black and blue towards your direction from my house......

If it did, i bet it's just the rain cleaning the inside of the exhaust pipe some....it'll be fine....

aaronedwards82

Well did you get a new radiator cap yet? Is it still using water/coolant?

No smoke or oil coming out of exhaust like maybe a blown seal on the center section on the turbo?

Last edited:

Keith_J

got a pinhole in the damned thing that i just noticed but no, the cap is holding fine now and it's not using coolant at all

Where is the pinhole?

As far as the exhaust spatter, it happens. Cover the exhaust stack when not in use to keep rain out...when has it rained? Or have you been running it under light load? That is called "wet stacking", the exhaust never gets very warm and as such, the exhaust has lots of unburned fuel in it with carbon and water.

Did you fix the oil leak on the IP?

Last edited:

TexRdnec

the pinhole is on the backside of the radiator, about it the middle closest to the drivers side. theres a quarter sized wet spot and about a 5" sized section around it that's corroded from it.

so far as i can tell i have fixed the IP oil leak. however, that jet black crud coming from the turbo is oily..........

Keith_J

the pinhole is on the backside of the radiator, about it the middle closest to the drivers side. theres a quarter sized wet spot and about a 5" sized section around it that's corroded from it.

so far as i can tell i have fixed the IP oil leak. however, that jet black crud coming from the turbo is oily..........

And have you been lightly running it? Normal.

Keith_J

But running it under 10 MPH? The engine can be warm but you still can wet stack it. Not as bad as indirect injection engines but still makes for a mess. Incomplete fuel burn causes soot and diesel to coat the exhaust system, it runs back and leaks everywhere. There is a gasket or you could try a bit more on the band clamp at the turbo exhaust, where it is leaking. But it ain't engine oil by any measure so relax and drink another beer.:-D

On the radiator, can you see the hole or just the wet spot? I would hate to have to pull the tanks. That is something I would farm out to a radiator shop. Yeah, pain the the butt. Those radiators are HEAVY. But worth repair. Try some of that sealing stuff.

TexRdnec

yes, always under 10mph but the truck shouldn't have known it............was almost always about 1800rpm. might even be from the ****ty diesel?

can see the wet spot on the radiator. the sealant stuff wouldn't hurt the block? cause it's got to be small enough to be an easy fix................

Keith_J

yes, always under 10mph but the truck shouldn't have known it............was almost always about 1800rpm. might even be from the ****ty diesel?

can see the wet spot on the radiator. the sealant stuff wouldn't hurt the block? cause it's got to be small enough to be an easy fix................
Tooling around your place at 10 MPH doesn't put a real load on the engine. It doesn't take much more fuel to spin the engine at 1800 RPM than 800 RPM, most of that additional load is from the fan. And 10 MPH takes all of 3 Hp, give or take.

Plus, it has been quite humid in your area, this adds to the mess.

The radiator sealant? It is fine for the engine, it won't plug up anything but a leak as it needs to dry and that won't happen unless it is a leak. Bar's Leaks is the best brand, it will take a few doses as that is a huge radiator. Just dump it, get it to operating temp and let it stand.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just looks like "Slobber". Incomplete combustion/water vapor, etc. Extended periods of ideling is a big cause, but there can be many combinations of causes. Usually associated with running too cold & slow. Usually first manifests itself by running down outside of stack. If you have to idle it, pull the throttle out and let her run at 1000 RPM.

Lee in Alaska

Katch1

yep get her under load, and run her hard it'll clear up after a few miles.

my truck will do this because it is humid in the woods here, and most jobs I use it for are small, but once a month it gets used like it should, and smokes to beat the band.

Keith_J

Like any new, proud "parent", Tex is just a little concerned.

Remember, the turbo "seal" leaks oil back to the crankcase, because the exhaust and intake pressures are higher than crankcase pressure, there isn't much oil leakage possible UNLESS the turbo oil drain becomes clogged.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks