• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny fix

rflegal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,
Great forum. I've been in and out for a couple years now. Too many projects.
Need some advice please.
I have an early deuce, M36, with an OA331 and a 3052 (direct drive 5th gear).
It a great truck, I like the long bed.
Having tranny issues, all is well except no 2nd/3rd on the shift (shifts OK, no gear):cry:
I have searched the forum and read about the synchros, powerflow thru tranny, etc.:Studying the manual, etc is very helpful. I pulled the shifter fork top and studied the gears, it appears that the 2/3 synchro, which should be linked to the main shaft via the geared collar held with two woodruffs, is turning freely. Closer inspection and I can see the collar turning as well while the main shaft remains stationary. I see these are still available at Saturn, so it can be replaced.
I think the synchro is good, the teeth on the collar look good; I suspect the woodruffs were replaced at one point with inferior units and have sheared, allowing the whole assembly to turn freely. Hopefully, it didn't mess up the main shaft. (tranny oil looks good and "fresh")
This truck was owned by a surface mining operation where I worked. It wouldn't be unusual for the guys in the shop to miss the keys on a rebuild and just run it that way (beleive it or not.) The tranny really looks too good and fresh on the inside for its age. Also they could have just grabbed some keys out of the warehouse bin that were for lesser applications. When they sheared in the field, they'd have used it as a reason to replace the truck and salvaged it.:-(
All that being said, I have studied the TM and was wondering if the main shaft assembly could be removed with the tranny still in the truck. I really didn't see anything on it anywhere. I'd rather not drop the tranny just to replace the keys. Looks HEAVY. Also, I know if I drop it, I'll end up wanting to do the clutch, bearing, etc, and it will turn into a bigger project which I don't need right now with limited change to spend and cold weather coming.:roll:
If I missed a thread about this, sorry, please point me.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Sorry this got so long. Oh, also, anyone know a source/sped for the RIGHT woodruff keys off the topof their head?
Thanks.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you can pull the mainshaft while in the truck. Have to remove the jack/driveshaft to the transfer case, and pull the rear yoke and bearing retainer. The shaft can slid backwards enough to pick the front out of the case and slid it out. Don't rembember if the bearings are loose or caged for the mainshaft to the input shaft, may have to me carefull not to drop them out.

It's common for the second gear woodruff key to shear. Don't know where to get a new one.

Dennis

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything Stretch said is correct.

Drain the oil first, that way, when the bearing rollers fall (they will), you will be able to see them to retrieve them. I think there are 14 rollers(confirm that by reading the TM). Be sure to find them all, I had to use a mirror and a magnet to find them all. To reinstall them, use some grease on the outer race to hold them in place.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i must say i have never heard of the keys shearing, so i doubt it is common at all. there are 2 of them. what is common is 2nd gear seizing to the MS. if the hub is split, it MAY not have damaged the MS, but they are cheap as are all the parts. i would just buy a good used trans, usually $200 or less.

tom

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There has been more than one post on this site about that keyway shearing.

jasonjc

Yes I have one that is the same way. The 2 keys are sheared and chewed up the shaft. You may need a new shaft as I do. I was able to swap out the parts from another trans and fixed the one in the truck, with it still in the truck.

rflegal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. I'll try to pull the parts tomorrow.

Pushed clutch in, turned input shaft, main shaft locked by output, all gears turn, so 2nd gear's not frozen to the main shaft - had me scared there. Could see any cracking or splitting on the synchro sleeve. Is that common?

Can't really see replacing a tranny for a key (I've been looking - haven'tfound any in NM, and shipping - whoa!)

I'd bet a case of beer the keys are sheared or missing entirely.

I'll take pics and post what I find.

Thanks again guys. When I looked at the TM I was almost sure I'd have to drop it. Glad to hear someone else has pulled a main shaft in the truck. I will count the bearing too. Thanks for the tip.

Bob

rflegal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well. somebody owes me a case of beer... she's out and stripped, both keys sheared and the shaft and the hub are toast...
Took some pics, will post as soon as a get cleaned up... very messy job, my wife says she's never seen me THIS grimy. I told her wait till I do the leaking gasket on the engine oil pan, Ha...

Carl_in_NH

What a dang shame. I really dislike seeing something that nicely made get that messed up. Looks like those woodruff key fragments just ground everything to pieces.

Good thing transmissions and transmission parts are not all that expensive - just lots of dirty work to swap out.

Coal Cracker

There's a company out of utah, that I had gotten some parts for my 65 Chevy K-10 4x4, it has a rockwell divorced case, with a rockwell 4- speed, anyhow they hooked me up, and have taken good care of me ever since. Said they can get old stuff.

Six States Distributors www.sixstates.com

West SLC Utah.

801-488-4677 Ask for Conan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks