• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this next to oil filters??

hellrayzor1

HI ALL,

I have tried to locate this device in the TM's but can't seem to find it anywhere. It is next to the oil filters toward the fire wall of the LTD deisel. There is a petcock on the side of it which I get some nasty oil like substance from. Is this suppose to be drained when you do an oil change or is it something else?? The whole device is circled in orange and the petcock is shown with the blue arrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks , Mark :)

Attachments

Peepaw

I was just looking at mine a few hours ago and wondering the same thing.
Wonder why they put a petcock on it if you don't need to do anything with it:?:

hellrayzor1

Thanks both of you......at the same time lol

Does oil flow thru it though?? I changed my oil and it looks all nice and shiney clear but the stuff I got out of the petcock was black and nasty. Only opened it for a sec and got a lil bit out. Didn't want to mess anything up.

Mark :)

Last edited:

Keith_J

The petcock is for purging the air from the cooling system. Oil in there would be BAD, check the radiator. I would recommend draining that nasty black goo from the coolant side.

Oil samples for the AOAP were ALWAYS taken from the dipstick tube, a length of 1/4" translucent poly tube, the vamp gun and a sample jar, with lid were the materials needed along with all the administrative info. The tubing was inserted into the dipstick hole, fed down until it hit bottom, then withdrawn about an inch. Next, the vamp gun was slid over the tube so the tube was nearly at the bottom of the jar, the nut tightened around the tube and the pump actuated until the jar was 3/4 full.. Screw the cap on, send it to the clerk with the form and then wait for AOAP to tell you all is good.

hellrayzor1

Should I take the side cover off and clean it all out and see if there is a problem?? There isnt any water in the oil and when I drained the radiator there wasnt oil in there, it was kinna brownish but not oily to the touch.

thanks, Mark

Keith_J

Just open the petcock with a jug to collect the nasty stuff and drain until it runs clean.

Is this a recent depot overhauled engine? Toole Army Depot was really proud of slapping stickers on the engine, a fresh coat of CARC on the engine is a good sign of a depot overhaul. If this is the case, the oil is probably left over preservative oil that has collected in this heat exchanger.

Since the oil pressure is most often, much higher than coolant pressure, oil can leak into the water But this is very rare.

hellrayzor1

I bought this deuce from a private party so I have no idea what its history is. It wasn't running but the IP is fixed now so it runs pretty nice. Everytime I fix something I find something new to go after. Fixed the master cylinder and wheel cylinders just to create an airpack problem which is fixed now. Fixed the radiator just to find this new problem. Someday Ill have it all ironed out lol. Thanks for the advice, Ill get on it in the morning.

Mark

Stan

Hey Hellrazor1, let us know how that goes. Past posting on here has always suggested that the valve is for oil sampling. That being the oil cooler goes to reason there is oil or coolant on the other side. The coolant is contained in a seperate vessel inside of this one.The oil then transfers heat to the coolant and to the outside via the larger chamber. Look at the pics of the preluber install above and oil is routed through this port.

hellrayzor1

The petcock is on the oil system not the cooling system. I tried to drain the oil from it as suggested earlier in this post and after getting a half gallon of oil from it (no water whatsoever) and then checking my oil level in the engine (which is now 1/2 gallon lower) I have decided it is an oil sampler and not a bleeder for the cooling system . :) After a quart I was gettin the idea but mite as well really prove it out lol.

Mark (Learning more everyday)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks