• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab heater questions

IMA944T

Purchased new cab heater and want to know about the heater hose hook ups. Water pump has outlet that appears to be 3/4 npt and the manifold has couple of 1/2 npt as does the coolant housing at the frt. end of the manifold. The coolant sensor appears to be threaded into this housing on the frt. end of the manifold. Is there a specific place for the two heater hoses to be hooked to? I have the two threaded valves for the hoses to hook to. One is 1/2 npt and the other is 3/8 npt. Anybody have any pic's of these hoses hooked up properly.
Also would like to know about the heater fan motor. My switch for it is a two position switch. I would think that if hooked up it would have the motor running WFO. Would like to know about making the fan have a high and low speed or poss. even variable speed. Heard these heaters work great.

Also looking for the 90 degree bend that bolts to the firewall inside the cab for the duct work. Anybody out there have one they want to part with ??? If you have a extra one Email me at BUDDO2003@YAHOO.COM

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, the switch for the blower motor is supposed to be a three position switch...available at just about any hardware store. This switch will allow you to have Hi, Low and Off. To get the low speed you will need a 5 Ohm, 50 Watt resistor in line with the motor winding on the low speed side.

As to the heater hoses and valves there is a PS Magazine article about the proper way and location to hook them up. Attached is a picture of the article, but the full sized version is in the old site on the second page of the PS articles for the 2 1/2 ton trucks.

Attachments

IMA944T

The switch is 3 position. It has two on and center off. I miss typed that. So since the fan is one wire I can get a 5 Ohm 50 watt resistor at radio shack and wire it into one side of switch and be good. Can we have a variable speed rotary switch wired into it or will it make fan fail?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could put a rheostat in it (variable resistor), I wouldn't use anything less than a 100 watt rheostat though...and it might cause premature failure if used at a very low speed for a long period of time.

IMA944T

The water pump fitting is a no brainer. The thermostat housing doesn't have a fitting. Behind the thermostat housing on the exhaust manifold are three fitting going horitzotal and there is on that faces straight up. but are one of these the hook up for the heater hose???? These would be before the thermostat I found nothing after the thermostat.

Boatcarpenter

IMA944T,
You want your heater loop to be on the engine side of the thermostat, or pre thermostat. There should be a plug to the right and slightly above your temp. sensor. You can hook up your inlet hose there. That is where the hottest water is in the system. Maybe your temp sensor is in the front plug, but you can use the other one. Makes no difference. Good luck,
BC

IMA944T

Thanks alot. got to thinking last night that the old chevys, fords, and mopuds always run both hose before thermostat in a loop. Then I thought to myself I should have know that.

1qwkgoat

If you temp sensor is in the right spot then the correct spot to mount the inlet hose to the heater core is right by where the temp sensor is. Which is right before the T stat the hole faces the passenger side. I just moved mine last night to there it works great. It was on the top after the T stat, it didn't work at all not enough pressure there. Must have been some cold national guard soldiers riding around in this truck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks