• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Late fees when Regestering at D.M.V.??

RDUKW

I just registered my first deuce at the DMV that was purchased from GL. I ended up having to pay a bunch of late fees because of the way G.L. fills out there paperwork. I registered the vehicle within 2 hours of when the sf-97 showed up in the mail and they charged me around $100 in late fees. The dmv rep stated the penelties were charged from the date G.L. bought the truck from the government. Has anyone eles ever had this happen? Any help or input is appreciated.

Ryan

KI4GSN

Serious question, he did realize you're not with GL right? That aside, I would have gotten a second opinion, because as it sounds to me (and my NC educated mind), their way of thinking would require people who by used cars to pay a late fee based on when the dealer bought it. The date GL bought the truck should have nothing to do with when you bought the truck, unless my thinking is wayyy off here.

RDUKW

Yes I agree with you. Any dealer that conducted business like this would no longer have there dealer license in California. I told the dmv rep that I purchased it from G.L. and they still said I was responsible for G.L.'s late fees even though the vehicle had never been registered.

Ryan

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CA DMV wanted to charge me late fees too. I asked for a supervisor and showed them the postmark on the USPS Priority envelope that GL used to send me my paperwork. The supervisor understood that even though I paid for the truck in March, I didn't get my paperwork until months later. A couple keystrokes and the fees were gone.

RDUKW

Well I have been on the phone for 15 minutes waiting to talk to someone at the DMV. I think there solution is to make people wait long enough on the phone that they give up.

RDUKW

Wow I just got of the phone with the DMV and they basically told me tough S**T and hung up on me when I started asking questions. Unfortunately it is not worth the aggravation and wasted time to go sit in line at the dmv to listen to some half wit tell me that it is not there problem. The state of california Sure has some seriouse problems in the government. Sorry for venting.

Ryan

RDUKW

Unfortunately I think the only two requirements for being a DMV employee is to be able to spell DMV and to be an A hole:evil:

jimmcld

Wow I just got of the phone with the DMV and they basically told me tough S**T and hung up on me when I started asking questions. Unfortunately it is not worth the aggravation and wasted time to go sit in line at the dmv to listen to some half wit tell me that it is not there problem. The state of california Sure has some seriouse problems in the government. Sorry for venting.

Ryan

I could have told you that, and I live in Texas!

KI4GSN

I would fight it, if not for the money then for the principle of it. Don't go straight to the top, start with the first person you see, then move up from there. Eventually someone will listen or will give you what you want just to get you out of their hair.

acmunro

I think we should a Better Government Bureau. Similar to the Better Business Bureau. It seems often times the amount of money involved is significant, but not significant enough to spend hours of valuable time fighting a battle you could possibly never win. Good Luck and I hope you do fight it.

nhdiesel

Unfortunately, for an entity to have desire to offer good customer service, there needs to be competition (if WalMart are a-holes, you shop somewhere else). There is no competition for the govt, so they have no reason to improve their customer service. Sure, we can complain all we want, but whats their incentive to change things? You still have to use the DMV to register your vehicles.

I have a friend who has been trying to register a trailer here in N.H. that he bought from a guy in Vermont. Unfortunately, Vermont didn't require a title for this trailer, but N.H. does. The seller never even registered it, it was used on his farm. N.H. requires a title for this trailer, so my friend started trying to go through legal channels. He contacted the seller, but the seller never had a title either (didn't get one when he bought it). N.H. said to go back to the original purchaser. He tried that, no luck...the guy has since moved, or died, or something...but is no longer at his address, and can't be contacted. N.H. said tough, no title, no registration.

I suggested he register it as home made, and even made him out a receipt for the materials to build a trailer (N.H. requires a paper trail). He tried that, the town required a form showing that the VIN be verified. Its HOME MADE, the state has to issue a VIN. He went around in circles between the state and the town, and neither will budge...so forget a home built trailer.

Next step- I gave him a bill of sale and copy of previous registration (that they require) for a trailer I have that I retired. Its grandfathered from needing a title because of age. He was able to register it with the town, but once he got to the state, they refused to give him plates without a title, even though its grandfathered because of the age of the trailer. They insist that I have a title, which I don't, and never did.

He's now out $1000 for the initial cost of the trailer (very nice equipment trailer, well worth it), and over $1000 in registration and other fees he's accumulated trying to register it. He can't even sell the trailer in N.H. without a title.

Point: Dealing with the govt., and DMV especially, can be a major headache. No matter how wrong they are, you have very little chance of winning. And they just don't care how they affect your life with their stupidity.

Jim

trog

California DMV uses a computer program to determine fees, (of course), and some statutes are not in the program, so there are errors that need to be corrected by a supervisor. Regarding fees incurred before an innocent purchaser buys a vehicle, there is Vehicle Code section 9562.

Section 9552(c) allows 10 days to pay fees after receiving a "properly endorsed certificate of ownership", but the program actually uses a different formula.

If I were burned and had time enough, I would file a claim for a refund and follow through with a lawsuit, and also file a public records request for procedural documents determining how the DMV calculated a fee. I have done this in CA with some success, but legal work must be done precisely. At some point, somebody with sense may say that you are right, and you will know you have done your good deed for this state.

Sand Lover

Waiver of Penalties and Registration Fees

This is my first post but i figured since i was wading trough the California Vehicle code and found this you guys might find it helpful.
Waiver of Penalties and Registration Fees

9562. (a) When a transferee or purchaser of a vehicle applies for transfer of registration, as provided in Section 5902, and it is determined by the department that registration penalties accrued prior to the purchase of the vehicle, and that the transferee or purchaser was not cognizant of the nonpayment of the fees for registration for the current or prior registration years, the department may waive the registration penalties upon payment of the fees for registration due.
(b) Other provisions of this code notwithstanding, the director may, at his or her discretion, investigate into the circumstances of any application for registration to ascertain if penalties had accrued through no fault or intent of the owner. If the director determines that the circumstances justify it, he or she may waive any penalties upon payment of the fees for registration then due.
(c) When a transferee or purchaser of a vehicle applies for transfer of registration of a vehicle, and it is determined by the department that fees for registration of the vehicle for any year are unpaid and due, that the fees became due prior to the transfer or purchase of the vehicle by the transferee or purchaser and that the transferee or purchaser was not cognizant of the fact that the fees were unpaid and due, the department may waive the fees and any penalty thereon if the license plate assigned to the vehicle displays a validating device issued by the department and the validating device contains the year number of the registration year for which the transferee or purchaser is requesting a waiver of fees and penalties.
(d) Upon the transfer of a vehicle for which fees for registration and any penalties thereon are unpaid and due, the fees and penalties are, notwithstanding the provisions of Article 6 (commencing with Section 9800) of this chapter, the personal debt of the transferor of the vehicle who did not pay the fees and penalties when they became due or accrued.
The fees and penalties may be collected by the department in an appropriate civil action if the department has waived the fees and penalties pursuant to subdivision (c).

V.C. Section 9562 - Waiver of Penalties and Registration Fees

I know this is kinda late posting but i hope this helps the next guy that registers in California, i know it will help me in a month went i finally get my EUC back.

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is why, in California, I don't go to the DMV with something like an SF97 or G.L. stuff. They don't know what to do and just stick with standard procedure. Please, please, please go to a vehicle registration office other than DMV. It costs a few bucks more but well worth it. Next time, look up "speedy vehicle registration" in lake Elsinore. They took care of my deuce and M105 trailer with no issues and they are very nice folks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks