• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Fuel

skytroop232

Being a multi fuel can a deuce burn E-85, straight gas, mix of gas and diesel???
With the price of diesel being .40 per gallon higher than unleaded, what is the recommended fuel besides straight diesel.

Thanks
Bob

avengeusa

straight gasoline will kill the injector pump, you need lubrication, add some oil to the gas

the tm has information in the faq has info about it

wb1895

The deuce will burn ANY petrolum product that is out there as long as it is properly filtered, EXCEPT..... avgas. you can combine any of these products together and burn it as well. Some of the guys here are even burning used motor oil as a fuel. I plan on doing this as well because I have a almost unlimited supply of the stuff.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When diesel went out of sight I ran 50/50 gas and used motor oil.
The deuce loves it and it really drops fuel costs. (depending on how you get the UMO)
Lots of guys run a higher mixture of motor oil but 50/50 is my preference.
As with any alternative fuel you have to make sure it is free of water and crud.
I have heard that straight transmission fluid can be used but I have never tried it.
Years ago when I was a long haul trucker (and diesel engines had not been castrated by electronics) we used to dump a can (yep, came in a can back then) of tranny fluid in the fuel tank to clean the injectors.

opie65

I would bet that E-85 is not a good idea. I think it is really dry, (low lubricity), and the alcohol is pretty hard on rubbers, plastics, etc that are designed for Petrolum based fuels.

I didn't see anything like it on the Vehicle Fuels list, but don't know what people do on their own.

Keith_J

E-85 has too high AKI (anti-knock index, AKA "octant"). Why is this bad? Ignition. High octane index means it won't auto-ignite easily. Ethanol increases the AKI beyond that listed on the pump.

In a diesel (the multifuel IS a diesel with extra-high compression ratio), the air is compressed BEFORE any fuel is injected. when the fuel is injected, it takes a bit of time to inject all the fuel, this prevents massive preignition. But in a gasoline engine, ALL the fuel is present when the mixture is being compressed. If there is ANY ignition before top dead center, it will destroy the engine.

So, no to the E85.

powerhouseduece

Years ago when I was a long haul trucker (and diesel engines had not been castrated by electronics) we used to dump a can (yep, came in a can back then) of tranny fluid in the fuel tank to clean the injectors.

Agree 100%, On all the older Diesels I have ever owned, When ever I did a fuel filter change I would fill the new filter with tranny fluid and put it back on. I have to change the filters on the m818 and probally going to do the same thing.

FormerNewMVGuy

I run mostly used ATF, sometimes straight, and sometimes mixed with offroad diesel or old boat gas.

I filter the livin snot out of it, and has worked fine for the past two years in both of my deuce's

AndrewH

I have been running my deuce on UMO all summer. I work at a marina and get all kinds of the stuff. Some gas, some diesel, some mixed gas-diesel. I filter it all and burn it all. I couldn't really even tell you what the mixture is because it all goes into the same barrel at the shop. I would guess 90% oil. I filter it all before it goes into the truck, settle it out and remove water. Keep filters in the truck for sure! I do run a 50/50 or more diesel-heavy mix in winter to aid in cold starting.

Shadrach

Fuel

I'm currently running used Hydraulic Fluid. I changed the oil in my backhoe and used extra care to keep it clean in the process. Runs great on it so far and seems to have a little more ummph. Also seems to idle smoother than just straight diesel.

IMA944T

I haven't looked at the other post on the fuels, But are you guys changing anything or just dumping diesel and 50 percent used motor oil or transfuild???? Haven't tried this in mine yet but I think it sounds great. I get about 5 gallons of UMO amonth from my cars. I have started running diesel Kleen this week. But UMO that has been strained would be usefull. So couple of gallons of used tranny fluid in a full tank of diesel will not hurt it. And I would have to change a thing to runs couple gallons of UMO or used tranny fuild. I have a friend that has a transmission shop. Does it run alot different or smoke more?

blackdiesel

i run my multifuel everyday (its set up as a power unit for my firewood processor) and, expecially during the summer, i run nearly 100 percent used motor oil. in the winter i thin it with off road diesel, just to make start up easier. im sure there is tranny oil and 90wt in it too. i just take the crap out of our shop and pour it in my tank.

havnt found a great way to filter it yet... as of right now i pour it in a 55 gallon drum and let it set for a while. Just make sure not to suck it off the bottom and ya should be good to go. the strainer in the tank catches the majority of it and theres two or three filters on the motor for a reason ;)

res0wc18

i have run pretty much everything except av gas. i just add a couple gallons of tcw3 oil to the mix for lube and power. Although it will run ethanol, i don't know of any one that has yet.

My personal favorite is off road diesel tcw3 used motor oil and whatever else

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run mostly used ATF, sometimes straight, and sometimes mixed with offroad diesel or old boat gas.
My personal favorite is off road diesel tcw3 used motor oil and whatever else
I hope you guys running off road diesel aren't driving your trucks on the road. This is a big no-no and can lead to fines in the thousands if caught running it on the road. The lowest fine I've heard of here in Tennessee is $2,000. They go up from there.

blackdiesel

I hope you guys running off road diesel aren't driving your trucks on the road. This is a big no-no and can lead to fines in the thousands if caught running it on the road. The lowest fine I've heard of here in Tennessee is $2,000. They go up from there.
they dont tax waste motor oil or used veg oil. do you get screwed if you get caught running that too??

idc either way, i dont run off road on road. i keep it green in my dodge diesel and i dont run my deuce on the highway. but if you run everything and the kitchen sink in your fuel tank, can they do tests and see if theres off road in there too?

tsmall07

I add at least a qt of motor oil/20 gal of gas. I would run e85 as long as I added a lot of motor oil to it.

Trans fluid will burn in it, but I don't think it's such a good idea. Trans fluid is RED, along with offroad Diesel. You can get in a heap of trouble if a trooper dips your tank and it comes up red or purple.

Mark2X2

When diesel went out of sight I ran 50/50 gas and used motor oil.
The deuce loves it and it really drops fuel costs. (depending on how you get the UMO)
Lots of guys run a higher mixture of motor oil but 50/50 is my preference.
As with any alternative fuel you have to make sure it is free of water and crud.
I have heard that straight transmission fluid can be used but I have never tried it.
Wreckerman,
Good friend is a diesel engine guru, rebuilds engines, pumps and injectors. What ever needs to be done to a engine, less the machining. He told me to pre-fill my filters with ATF, then dump a quart in the fuel barrel. Been doing it for 3+ yesrs. Engine starts right up with straight ATF.
Mark
M35A2 Deuce
M105A2 Trailer
M101A1 Trailer
3) Rokons

FormerNewMVGuy

Well i dont think they are going to check a vehicle with historic plates on it. and if they do I'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks