• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shoulda been CUCV's

StormChaser

While I was on Ebay the other day, I came across an auction where a guy did up a Suburban. He did a pretty good job representing what it might have been had there actually been CUCV Suburbans (well, minus the roof cargo rack anyway). Now, I was a mechanic in the USMC during the Desert Storm era, so I have a good grasp on how the CUCV's were used. In our unit (3d Bn 6th Marines), it would seem to me the Suburban would have made more sense than the Blazers. And since my maintenance truck was a CUCV, I can honestly say a crew cab would have been a better option.

I was wondering what your thoughts would be on this. Do you think they could have been viable CUCV's?

Also, what is the site consensus on, would you say, CUCV clones? I'd love to do up my crew in the style of a CUCV, but only if doing such a thing is acceptable. I know people think "it's yours, do what you want." But true military vehicles hold a special place in my heart. They are the mechanical heroes, and I hold them in high regard as a piece of history worth saving and sharing with others. I know my feelings on "fake Veterans," but I wonder if the same should hold true when it comes to vehicles. Is it OK to have a CUCV clone if it isn't sold as a CUCV, and if it is in a format that never came as a CUCV?

One more- has anyone already done a crew CUCV, and if so, any pics? I haven't been able to find any on Google.

91W350

I say go for it! I remember seeing some photos of a proto-type Suburban. I should have keep the magazine. It looked killer! I suppose even if I had kept it, it would be a violation of their copyrights to use their photos.

HAWKMAN

Suburban is a great idea. I almost built one earlier this year but time is never on my side. As far as clone vehicals...I've built clone M-1008's on civy frames with 3.73 rears with great success (and as you said) as long as they are sold as clones there should be no problems, people accually like them better as they are more roadable. Blazer clones?.......IMOO, sure
why not, but there are still a lot of them out there and they are reasonably priced probably not worth the effort to clone,pick-ups usually bring high dollars at the auctions but blazers
still go fairly cheap. My2cents

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always wanted to do the crewcab CUCV. On day maybe I will find the right truck. Go for it for sure!

1stDeuce

The CUCV 2's or whaterver they're called that GM put out a few years back were mostly crewcab shortbox and crewcab longbox if it makes you feel better... :)

I think the Blazer CUCV was supposed to just be a radio vehicle... But even so, why wouldn't they have used the suburban?? Even came in a 3/4 ton version already.

It would seem that manuverability was part of the concern, or there would have been longer versions I would think.
C

niferous

I am in the process of bidding on a 4-door 1989 3/4 ton Chevrolet 4x4 right now. It is base model so converting it won't be too hard. I would like to put the contact truck bed on the back and make it a 4-door M1031/contact truck. Also one of our members on here here has a diesel 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban that we are talking about. If I purchase it I will also be converting it.

12vctd

I have a converted 3/4ton suburban. It was pretty close to a CUCV well a m1009 from the factory, 6.2,th400,np208 10 bolt front 10 bolt rear w/g80 rear option. I have since converted it a 5.9 cummins, with a 47rH and np205 and dana 60 front and 14bolt rear. I am a huge fan of suburban's I have owned serval years from a 70 4x4 3door to a 94 2500 2wd 6.5td and a ton of mid 80's. I am so partial to them not only by love but need, 6 kids. I bought a excursion and though it was a really great truck, I still prefer a solid axle sub with a cummins. I never understood why the army never used suburban's, other than they saw no need for a 8 to 9 person carrying capability. plus from what i see on GL sheets for orig purchase price of a m1008 or m1009 I would also think maybe the suburban's would have not been cost effective. I can attest to any suburban that is not rotted out with a 1 ton drivetrain and good running diesel will sell well even without the camo paint.

StormChaser

other than they saw no need for a 8 to 9 person carrying capability.
THEY never seem to anticipate things in advance... If I had a dollar for every time I seen an M1009 with a couple Marines in the cargo area, or an M1008 hauling cargo with two or three Marines In the back with the cargo, I wouldn't have needed to file for disability!

I am seriously considering cloning my crew cab (88 R20 or 2500, whichever they were using). I'll probably find myself a 1008 that is beyond reasonable repair to use for parts. May even go dually just to make it that much more unique.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks