• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Steering & Clutch concerns

steve9257

Happy days! Just purchased a 1987 M35A2 from GL. The truck made the 300 mile trek from Warner Robins back to Tennessee with no issues. I did notice a couple of things that have me a little worried. I spent several hours reading through all the M35A2 threads and did not find any mention of these issues. First, the steering. The truck drives straight and true. Whenever you initiate a turn, the steering wheel “slips” (turns very easy) and then engages. This is somewhat unsettling when you make a left or right turn and feel the slip. Like perhaps something is about to break. I did some checking by following the linkage and found no issues with the linkage. The steering box does emit a low popping noise with slip occurs. Worn steering shaft spline? Or ??

Second, the clutch pedal. The clutch seems to work very well. However, I am concerned about the amount of travel (from the floor up) that is required before the transmission engages. The clutch pedal is almost at the top of the travel before the tranny engages. The clutch on my other deuce engages about half way up from the floor to the pedal stop position. Is this ok? The clutch does not slip.

Thanks...

Carl_in_NH

Sounds like your clutch free-travel needs adjustment.

You need to get someone to help you by rocking the steering wheel back and forth while you go hunting under the truck looking for the source of the free play in the system. If they rock the wheel hard / fast enough, it should make noise where the trouble is located.

I've got a deuce with a worn pitman shaft bushing in the steering box, and that makes the steering a little sloppy. Also check your preload setting on the settring box.

Steering box issues are a pain on the deuce. The TMs call for removing the IP from the engine for removal, but there are ways to disassemble it on the frame and sneak the parts out.

As a side note, please use a text color that can be seen when posting. Thanks!

xmission

steve9257

That's good news that your 87 from WR ran. I just bought an 87 (and a 71) also, and was worried that all of them would have the fuel tank sludge problem that I've been reading about here.

Carl_in_NH

Looks like we're neighbors. I'm 1/2 hour north in Francestown. I take martial arts in Wilton several times a week.

steve9257

More concerns?? Fuel tank sludge....

Maybe I was more fortunate than I knew. You mentioned "fuel tank sludge problem". Well when I stopped to refuel, I could not pump fuel into the tank. Upon closer examination, I discover the filler neck filter was completly fill with some sort of sludge. I had to remove the filler neck insert to refuel. What is the word on the sludge. Is it likely that my fule tank is full of the stuff. I was planning to change my fuel filters anyway but had not considered a problem in the fule tank itself. Is there a safe way to purge and clean out the fuel tank?

Thanks - Steve

What style martial arts?

xmission

Maybe I was more fortunate than I knew. You mentioned "fuel tank sludge problem". Well when I stopped to refuel, I could not pump fuel into the tank. Upon closer examination, I discover the filler neck filter was completly fill with some sort of sludge. I had to remove the filler neck insert to refuel. What is the word on the sludge. Is it likely that my fule tank is full of the stuff. I was planning to change my fuel filters anyway but had not considered a problem in the fule tank itself. Is there a safe way to purge and clean out the fuel tank?

Thanks - Steve
Looks like it could lock you into full throttle if things went bad. Glad you got home safely.

You'll find allot of info here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/29359-m35a2c-clogged-fuel-system.html?highlight=sludge

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/40214-warner-robbins-ga-a2cs.html?highlight=sludge

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/...fuel-pump-screen-intake.html?highlight=sludge

What style martial arts?
Aikido/Shoalin Chi-Na

ncduece

I BOUGHT ONE OF THE 1987 M35A2C A FEW MONTHS AGO from warner and had some of the same problems. the fuel problem is from the trucks sitting with gasoline in the tanks and its turned to varnish, my clutch pedal was the same way. the only way to fix it ist to remove it from the shaft underneath the truck and move it on the shaft one notch. its a pita to get the clamp bolt out.

Keith_J

It would take failure of the filters for dirty fuel to cause control problems. Because the control collar which controls all the fuel is constantly slipping over the piston which delivers the fuel, it is impossible for it to stick.

xmission

I BOUGHT ONE OF THE 1987 M35A2C A FEW MONTHS AGO from warner and had some of the same problems. the fuel problem is from the trucks sitting with gasoline in the tanks and its turned to varnish, my clutch pedal was the same way. the only way to fix it ist to remove it from the shaft underneath the truck and move it on the shaft one notch. its a pita to get the clamp bolt out.

Hmm... Wonder if it's just the 87s.

Did you drive yours out, or haul it?

ncduece

i drove it out boy was it slow at first until i got some fresh fuel a put a few mile on it. the tank still smells like varnish months later

xmission

i drove it out boy was it slow at first until i got some fresh fuel a put a few mile on it. the tank still smells like varnish months later
Thanks very much. That's good to know. I was thinking about having my 87 and 71 hauled to my fathers place near ATL, but maybe they could be driven. Hmmm

steve9257

I also purchased my 1987 M35A2 from Warner Robins. Just drove it to Tennessee last week (approx 330miles). I encountered the same sludge issue with this truck. I simply removed the filler neck screen and refuled without it.

Made it home without a hitch. Whew, I am just beginning to realize how daunting the trip was with an unknown / untested M35A2.

Now I am attempting to address the sterring issue, the leaking CV boot and the clutch pedal travel.

I want thank all the contributors to this thread. It has been most useful and has inspired confidence that I can fix these particular issues myself. The OD Iron site was a great revelation as I was searching for parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks