• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blown Engine M35a2c

regicidal919

This is my first post so exxcuse me if I get a little off track.

I took my new 1970 M35a2c out for her first camping trip (only 45 miles away) and the next day on my return trip I made it 5 miles when the engine blew. There was a knocking sound right before she let go and shot the #2 piston, rod and misc. parts out the drivers side of the engine block.

I had checked the oil before the return trip and was big on the whole PMCS routine. When I bought the truck it was tagged with rebuild in '92'. She had always ran well and had good oil pressure and never ran hot. I am no mechanic but I am guessing there was some sort of catostrophic internal failure with the #2 cylinder. Has anyone had or heard of this before. This truck was by no means abused or over worked as I always kept a close eye on the gauges and RPMs.

Found a running replacement engine now just waiting to put her back together.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Sorry about your bad experience. That is truly a rarity without overreving the engine. Was the big end of the rod still attached to the crank? With that level of destruction it might be a challenge to CSI what went wrong.

regicidal919

The most recognizable piece that was shot out the block was a portion of the piston. I would descibe that piece as the size of a snuff can and where the wrist pin passes through?

littlebob

The rebuild date with really low hours is probably worse than a one with regular usage as, the engine may have sit idle for a long time. Although the diesel does better, it still will have a problem with sitting for a long time and driven like new.

stampy

Sounds like bad luck. I had one ran great great with good oil pressure then while idling it just started knocking. I have yet to run it since. We are going to pull the pan and see if we can fix it before it self destructs.:roll:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
MV's are like any other vehicle IMO.
If you get a good one and take care of it...it lasts and does a good job for you.

:evil: Then...there is the unknown gremlin that just steps in and ruins your world for no apparent reason!! And there is nothing you can do to prevent it... it just happens!!

I would venture to guess this is the case here.:cry:

Josh

i have to be this guy but....

nopics

and i am truely sorry your motor blew up, if my motor ever goes im using it as an exuse to get and LDS for it.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you already pick up a motor or were you thinking about getting one from me? Let me know, I can get started on the removal right away.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear about that.

Hmm...
If it was 'rebuilt' but not run much, then it could have been something not done/done improperly during the 'rebuild'. I had a 4-bolt main 350 one time that was 'rebuilt'. I was installing it in my school bus. For some reason, I decided to put a higher flowing oil pump and cooler on this engine. So when I had it in the stand and flipped it over, I pulled the oil pan. Guess what? the #4 connection rod bolts where just finger snug. That would have ruined my day on the test run! I whipped out the torque wrench and almost everything was loose.

Odd that the piston actually broke apart. Did you do the hydrostatic lock check when you started the truck? Usually the piston will not fail like that unless it hits something or is defective.

If you do pull it apart, we would love to see pictures. Not only so we all can discuss what happened, but we have a gruesome fascination with this kind of stuff. :twisted:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks