• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank drain bolt?

tdfontaine

There is a bolt on the bottom of my fuel tank that looks like some sort of drain bolt. I've never seen this on other vehicles and wondering if others have the same type of configuration.

Thanks!

HardCorps79

What vehicle is the tank on ??
I'm generally against making assumptions, but since it was in his signature and in the CUCV forum, I guessed it was a 1985 M1009. :-D

I don't have it on mine that I've ever seen. Honestly haven't looked that hard. My tank works fine. You could try loosening it a turn or two and see if it is actually a drain plug. Honestly never heard of this before.

ida34

They did not come with a drain on the bottom of the tank. That does not mean someone did not add one. They do have a pipe goes to the bottom of the tank and exits to the side above the frame rail. I can't remember if it was driver's side or passenger's side. It should be capped. You can take the cap off and siphon the tank empty. It is actually for removing water in the bottom in case the fuel gets water in it. Basically works the same as a drain at the bottom but not as good at getting the water out.

Attachments

tdfontaine

Yeah, I've never seen this before on other vehicles or in the TM. I'm not sure what the bolt goes to but I need to get the rig going. The fuel tank was empty so I put some fuel in it and it didn't leak around the bolt so guess I'll figure it out later. I'll re-post when/if I pull the tank.

On another note, I finally got the rig running last night. New glow plugs and fuel was all it needed! But, there is no oil pressure so now I have more important issues to figure out. After running for 15 seconds, the oil pressure light didn't extinguish. Pulled the new oil filter and it was mostly dry so I think the oil pump is bad or the intermediate shaft is bad. Or, maybe the oil pump somehow lost it's prime? The truck has been sitting for at least 1-2 years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks