• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another sucsessful recovery!

79driver

Well after waiting 2 months for my EUC i finally got to go get my duece! Left homw at 04:30 with a friend of mine and his 40 ft gooseneck. I brought everything i thought i would need for the recovery and then some as far as tools and supplies went. We arrived in San Antonio at 07:15 only to get stuck in traffic and we arrived at Ft. Sam Houston at approx. 08:30. Went inside and gave them my paperwork and quickly got it taken care of then went to find the duece. I found it quickly and did a quick once over to see what kind of shape it was in. After reading some horror stories on here i was nervous but the truck was in much better shape than expected.
I flipped the accesory switch and it had power so i tried to start, but it was a no go. I messed with the switch for a minute and determined the problem to be in the wiring somewhere so we push started it with the GL forklift. The truck started right up and had good brakes, but as it built air pressure i realized the horns were stuck on and they were getting louder and louder! I shut it down and let the pressure bleed off and then disconnected and capped the airline going to the horn. Pushed started the truck once more and loaded it on our trailer and headed home. We arrived home at about 16:00 (we took ourt time coming home and stopped several times. We had to unload the duece at my friend house about a mile down the road from mine because it was too muddy at my place and we would have gotten the truck and trailer stuck and/or rutted up the field. I Drove the duece home from his house with him folliowing and the duece drove great to its new home.
When i got home i was able to look over it and make a good assesment.

The Good:
9 out of the 10 tires are brand new and the 10th is in good shape.
The truck had a completely full tank of diesel
It ran great and started right up when pushed
The brakes work great.
Body wise it is in good shape (Little rust and no dents)
Technical Manual in the glove box
Almost everything in the cab works
No leaking wheel seals, brakes, ect.
All fluids were topped off and clean

The Bad:
Starter switch wiring may be bad
Air Horns stuck on
Missing Headlight switch ( i knew of this before i bid)
1 flat tire and spare is flat.
Soft top is torn

Overall i'd say i got a great truck and i was happy and extremely relieved that i turned out the way it did. The problems it has are very minor and can be fixed easily. I picked up a set of fiberglass bed sides and bows for the tarp yesterday for free and im going to get a new soft top and the rear canvas cover also for free in the next couple days.

Attachments

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds like a good day over all...congrats.

Oh, can you point me in the direction of these free deuce parts??????:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Job, nice looking truck!

On a side note for those who might run across the horn issue one day- an easier way to stop it sometimes is pull on wire loose from the solenoid. Or if you did that and it was still blowing, you did the right thing. :wink:

I just noticed, it has the frame extensions but no winch? Bummer. :evil:

I had a short in the wire in the steering colum. My horn would just start going off at odd times driving down the road. Replaced that wire and everything was good.

79driver

Way to go! Your post gives me hope that my deuce from Ft. Sam will be in good shape. Waiting on EUC....
I bet yours is in pretty good shape, it seemed alot of the trucks down there were runners. While i was they 3 other dueces were started up and driven.

My horns definately have something amiss inside of them, i pulled the wires first and it did nothing, but for now i just capped the line until i rebuild them. I got my canvas cover today but the soft top fell through, so i think i'll just take my current one to the upoulstry shop and have it fixed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks