• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Overfill - Possible Rear Seal Leak

BugEyeBear

Yesterday I picked up a recently purchased M35A2 that I've purchased from a private party.

The PO isn't very familiar with Deuces, and accidentally overfilled the crankcase with oil (it is approx 2.5" above the full mark (checked 5mins after running)).
But based on what the PO told me it could be as much as 3 GALS overfull!.
:doh:

Truck drives great! [thumbzup]
BUT has an oil leak around the injector pump and MIGHT also be leaking at the rear main seal (due to overfill, I assume). aua

I only drove it approx 20miles after pick-up (approx 7miles at city speeds & the rest at 55mph). Drove it straight to a repair shop to have it looked over prior to my 400+ mile drive home.
When I left the seller's house the underside was dry, But after the 20mile drive there is a good coating of oil underneath the engine/trans/xfer.

Appears that most of the oil is leaking from the injector pump (this is already on the list to be fixed). But it might also be spewing oil oit of the hole below the flywheel. (oil spray is visible on the driver's side of the engine & on the driver's side front wheel inner rear fender flap (appears to be from the known injector pump leak) but also under the truck in the center, mostly on the trans & xfercase (guessing this is coming from the rear seal due to crankcase overfill condition)).

I checked oil level again, and it still shows as WAY overfull.

I also crawled under the truck to look at all of the pinion seals & transmission & xfer case seals. Just to be certain that none of these were also leaking. All look fine.

The guys at the repair shop are going to drain off the excess oil (get it back to the proper level), fix the known injector pump leak, clean off the existing oil spray, and start to investigate the source of any additional leaks (might use UV dye to track down the leak source). They will also check all fluid levels.

BTW: They are also replacing a Pass side rear axle seal. This was my initial reason for taking the truck to the repair shop. But this is NOT the source of the oil spray.....

SO MY QUESTION IS:
:confused: Has anyone ever overfilled the crankcase, experienced oil leaking out of the rear seal, corrected the overfill, and then had the leak stop once the proper oil level was restored? (i.e. I'm hoping the rear seal is still OK)
:confused: Should I expect any impact to the clutch due to possible oil contamination? (seems to shift fine, so I'm hoping it will be OK once the assumed overfill caused leak is corrected.)
:confused: What is the function of the 2 threaded holes at the bottom of the bell housing? The one located slightly towards the passenger's side has a plug in it (this one is referred to as being required for deep water fording in the TMs), but the other one (located more towards the driver's side) is open (& appears to always be open in the TMs)

THANKS in advance!

-Bear-

BugEyeBear

Question 3- One is the fording plug in the stored position (normal operation). The other is the actual bell housing drain, relocate plug to this position when fording.
AH! That makes sense!! Thanks!! :smile:
(I was trying to understand why there appeared to be 2 bell housing drains... NOW it makes sense!)

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I would be very concerned that the truck may be "making oil". It is possible that the IP is dumping fuel into the crankcase.

BugEyeBear

I would be very concerned that the truck may be "making oil". It is possible that the IP is dumping fuel into the crankcase.
No, I don't believe that is the case, as the PO said he added oil because it was low.

He simply didn't know how much oil to add and he put in WAY too much!
(he thought it was an 8 gallon capacity, & he didn't allow for the oil to drain down to the crankcase before rechecking the level.)

The oil doesn't appear to be thinned down with gasoline either. Appears to be the correct viscosity.

It also has a fairly new looking IP installed on it.

I WILL however keep a close watch of the oil level once the existing leaks have been resolved. & if the level rises I will definitely R&R the IP.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...........................Has anyone ever overfilled the crankcase, experienced oil leaking out of the rear seal, corrected the overfill, and then had the leak stop once the proper oil level was restored?
Exactly that, YES. :oops:
.... 200 miles at 55mph on a real hot day, main seal was leaking really bad so that everything plus clutch got soaked and it started slipping ... !
Drained about two gallons to correct level!, removed inspection cover plate, flushed clutch as good as possible with solvent, drove back home normal and dry and never had that problem again.
(lesson learned and not forgotten, after almost 20 years.....!:))

G.

BugEyeBear

Exactly that, YES. :oops:
.... 200 miles at 55mph on a real hot day, main seal was leaking really bad so that everything plus clutch got soaked and it started slipping ... !
Drained about two gallons to correct level!, removed inspection cover plate, flushed clutch as good as possible with solvent, drove back home normal and dry and never had that problem again.
(lesson learned and not forgotten, after almost 20 years.....!:))

G.
THANKS! [thumbzup]

That's what I'm hoping will be the case with mine.
I only drove it 20miles so I'm hoping that the clutch didn't get too much oil on it.

The shop I took it to has already corrected the oil level, gets the rear axle seals in tomorrow morning (from Memphis Equip), and will then verify that the rear seal is no longer leaking & that there aren't any other leaks.

KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED!!!

BugEyeBear

Update!

Just wanted to update you guys on the oil leak issue.

Turns out that the PO had overfilled the crankcase by at least 3 GALLONS (not counting what had already leaked out from varoius places...)! :doh: :confused:

Oil level has been dropped to the correct level, & a leak at the base of the air pump (due to a sloppy replacement of pump; some of the old gasket was still there...) has been fixed, & another leak at the injector pump (at a loose cover plate) has been fixed.

Truck has been road tested for approx 50 miles since the repair, & I'm VERY HAPPY to say that oil is no longer coming out of the rear seal! [thumbzup]

I have noticed that it takes significantly longer than the "1 minute" noted on the dipstick for the oil level to show as full. It seems to be at the 4qt low mark for several minutes. I let it sit for an hour and then the level was FULL on the dipstick. (Perhaps this is why the PO accidentally overfilled it!)

:?: How long do you guys wait to check your oil level?

:?: Does your level change from the "1 minute" reading?

:?: IF IT DOES, how much does it increase?

I suppose that there is a chance that I'm now running 4 qts low from a true FULL, but I'm very reluctant to cause an overfill condition again.
(My rear seal is still sore from the last overfill!)

"Anyone know a good Deuce Proctologist?!?"

-Bear-

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a search for "dipstick" in the deuce forum will get you some threads about the correct oil level readings, there is a PM magazine thing on it also.

IIRC Full after it sits overnight, should read 1" above full.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I wonder if the PO over filled it because he only pulled one of the drain pulgs and then added the spec'd amount?

jasonjc

If you wait an hour for it to get up to the full mark, you are LOW. You check it in a min. If you wait longer it should show over full. an 1" or so sounds about right.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cold it should be at about the "K" in check on the stick...'bout an inch above the full mark. If you check it immediatly after shutdown, it will show a tad below the full mark.

BugEyeBear

I wonder if the PO over filled it because he only pulled one of the drain pulgs and then added the spec'd amount?
No, I believe he just added too much too fast.

Probably thought the numbers on the Dip Stick stood for gallons...
Honest mistake I guess.

At least it wasn't 3 gallons too low!!

(I'm just thankful that no permanent damage was done. No oil starvation, no hydraulic lock, & no blown rear seal.)

rlwm211

There are a couple of great PS magazine articles that explain exactly how to read the dipstick on a deuce. The articles explain that normal is from one inch to one and one half inch above the full mark on the dipstick. This applies only if the truck has been parked for 6 hours or more. If the truck has not been sitting 6 hours or more, the reading will be somewhere between low, and above fuill as described. Obviously there were problems with deuces being overfilled in the service and the article was put out to help instruct the drivers on how to properly check the truck before operating. Check them both out
Here are the links:
http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index....oil_check&name=gallery&include=view_photo.php

http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index....11_M35_PM&name=gallery&include=view_photo.php

Last edited:

tm america

you cant check the oil like you do on a normal vehicle you have to let it get up to full op temp drive it hard then let it sit 1-5 minutes then check the level i like to check mine 1 minute after i shut it off.if it,s not fully hot you will overfill it and make the rear main seal leak cuz the drain back hole will be blocked

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks