• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151's still out there? Look

combat32

At least 50 complete ones at an undisclosed location near me, unobtainable though, I like to look at them sometimes though:cry:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A lot of M151's were used on ranges as static props (at Fort McClellan the MP trainees used them to practice doing accident reports {before they moved the MP school to Fort Lost in the Woods}).

I have been on map reading courses and found them rusting in place out in the woods. Usually stripped of easy to remove parts and with other items welded in place.

When they were sold you were allowed to remove every item from the unibody pan.
You then had to cut the pan in four pieces and leave it in place.

There used to be a company that restamped the pans (I met the owner many years ago in Miami).
He was sending them to South America where they replaced rusted out pans on vehicles that had been "donated" to our allies down there.

If you had all the parts and could find one of these new pans you could re-assemble a M151.

More facts from my huge store of mostly worthless information.

poppop

I found 12 at Fort Stewart DRMO several years ago. When I questioned the Lady in charge about them she said they were going to drive a tank over them and sell for scrap.

JeepMan

When the MVPA held thier convention at Ft. Indiantown Gap there was a field with 400 or so in it. One of the vendors said they were his and he was going to start proccessing them shortly. Many still had charge in the batteries.
We all dreamed of driving one (or two !!) away.

AIE1

I just have to post these pix's, they are long gone. These jeeps had as much as 10-15 miles on the odmeters. There were at Letterkenny AD and had been stored inside for years. Canvas and seats still boxed in the back of them. I took these pix's myself and tried my damnest to get one for the 1st Bn. 3d Infantry to replace the old worn out A1's they had. They used them just for special events. They all disappeared, as the story goes Murry got one or some for export. If you want to believe that! Pix's were taken late 80's. The people at Letterkenny stated they were to be demilled, if they wren't there is some lucky SOB somewhere out there.
As the posts state there are still jeeps here and there on installation ranges, most on the East Coast went to hard targets. Saw the same thing happend to M47 Tanks at a jarhead base. Must have have been 20 or 30 tanks lined along side of a range road in various conditions. Looking at them, they were complete with power packs. Damn shame!
Back to jeeps, just before I left my DOD job, the Army went out of their way to get units, installations to turn in the M151's on property books. Even sent out folks from major commands to check on status of units that had them.
Enjoy the pix's

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were two at the cargo crane training center in Portsmouth, VA for the navy. They just would practice slinging them up and moving them around. They were complete, although the batteries were removed and you could tell they hadn't been moved under their own power in quite some time.

JeepMan

I just have to post these pix's, they are long gone. These jeeps had as much as 10-15 miles on the odmeters. There were at Letterkenny AD and had been stored inside for years. Canvas and seats still boxed in the back of them. I took these pix's myself and tried my ****est to get one for the 1st Bn. 3d Infantry to replace the old worn out A1's they had. They used them just for special events. They all disappeared, as the story goes Murry got one or some for export. If you want to believe that! Pix's were taken late 80's. The people at Letterkenny stated they were to be demilled, if they wren't there is some lucky SOB somewhere out there.
As the posts state there are still jeeps here and there on installation ranges, most on the East Coast went to hard targets. Saw the same thing happend to M47 Tanks at a jarhead base. Must have have been 20 or 30 tanks lined along side of a range road in various conditions. Looking at them, they were complete with power packs. **** shame!
Back to jeeps, just before I left my DOD job, the Army went out of their way to get units, installations to turn in the M151's on property books. Even sent out folks from major commands to check on status of units that had them.
Enjoy the pix's

Drool -- drool on these pixs !!!

I got out of the service in '84 (and looking back what a big mistake) but I remember the Supply Sgt saying that if you damage your Jeep it'll cost ya $14,000.00 I guess someone would pay $14,000.00 for one of these today with no problem !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks