• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does anybody even have a land line anymore?

greenjeepster

I notice that the box on the EUC for your phone number says that it must be a land line to your physical address or it will delay the approval. I don't have a land line and don't really know many people anymore who do. Guess my turn around time is not going to be quick:-(

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't remember to saying it needs to be a land line, I just remember it saying it needs to be in your name and address. Lots of people have gotten EUC's with cell phone numbers.

You must not live in the mountainous areas of KY, because most rural areas, including the mountains have lousy cell reception. I live about 20 miles each direction from two pretty large towns, and 5 miles from the highway and a cell tower right at my exit, and I still don't get any reception at my house.:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x

greenjeepster

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't remember to saying it needs to be a land line, I just remember it saying it needs to be in your name and address. Lots of people have gotten EUC's with cell phone numbers.

You must not live in the mountainous areas of KY, because most rural areas, including the mountains have lousy cell reception. I live about 20 miles each direction from two pretty large towns, and 5 miles from the highway and a cell tower right at my exit, and I still don't get any reception at my house.:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x
Open the euc form on the web site and put your mouse over the phone number box. A little instruction box opens and says "this number needs to be associated with your physical address, not a mobile or business phone...................."

I hope it doesn't become a problem, because all I have are cells, if they don't like one number I can give them two others, but still all cells.

My location on my avitar says Lexington KY, so no, a city of 350 k people is not the hills of KY;-)

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't had a landline in years. My EUC took the normal amount of slowness to get through. There are plenty of other reasons for your EUC to get hung up and screwed up. :)

greenjeepster

I haven't had a landline in years. My EUC took the normal amount of slowness to get through. There are plenty of other reasons for your EUC to get hung up and screwed up. :)
Me neither, about once a month the cable guy or phone guy stops buy trying to get us to get a land line. I always tell them that we don't need one. They give a sales pitch about there being a terrorist attack or some other emergency and what if I needed to call an ambulance for our precious children and the cell towers are all jammed up. I bet that works on some people, but if there is a major emergency there isn't going to be an ambulance available to call anyway.

Besides that I am a nurse, my wife is a geneticist so we both work in health care and we live within 3 miles of 5 major hospitals, so I think we will do just fine. :-D

greenjeepster

I chatted with Heidi and she said that the cell number will delay the approval, but it will still clear and many people don't have any other options.

They use it to verify home address by running a reverse lookup on the phone number and it doesn't work with a mobile phone. So it takes them longer to verify address through other means.

dcwilkie

I didn't receive my fist cleared EUC for 47 days. Maybe that's because we're a cell-only family, but it did clear eventually.
Now it usually takes 1 week from filing to Battle Creek. I got my last M105A2 in 10 days start to finish!

AFAIK, your land line still should connect to 911. Mine does and I haven't paid/ used it for four years now. :-D

nhdiesel

We have a landline for around $45/month. Compare that to two cell phones @ $60+ ea. (with fees & taxes) that MIGHT work SOMETIMES up here. I'll stick to my landline. Plus we used to need it for our internet connection before they finally got cable to our area.

If we end up with different jobs that will allow us to afford them, I really wouldn't mind switching to cell phones though. For now we each use prepaid cells for the little we actually use them.

Jim

mangus580

I have not had an issue either, and I have used my cell on every purchase dating back to 2003.

Something I would suggest... is include a utility bill that has your address on it. Like your electric bill. Something that ties you to your house. I actually use a printout of my property taxes as my county lists them online. I have used that when they give me crap about the address on my drivers license not matching my current address. Works fine.

KsM715

I have a cell phone for when Im out and about but still keep the landline at home because I have small children. Small enough that they ARE NOT getting cell phones but old enough to call 911 in an emergency. Cell phones and 911 sucks!

greenjeepster

We have a landline for around $45/month. Compare that to two cell phones @ $60+ ea. (with fees & taxes) that MIGHT work SOMETIMES up here. I'll stick to my landline. Plus we used to need it for our internet connection before they finally got cable to our area.

If we end up with different jobs that will allow us to afford them, I really wouldn't mind switching to cell phones though. For now we each use prepaid cells for the little we actually use them.

Jim
$60 a month each? We have three with 700 minutes each, a media package and free nights, weekends and in network calling. The three cost us $76.00 a month with taxes. Our phone bill when we finally shut it off was around 125-145 a month.

We are originally from Vermont so I do understand the no service issues you can run into up there though.

nhdiesel

$60 a month each? We have three with 700 minutes each, a media package and free nights, weekends and in network calling. The three cost us $76.00 a month with taxes. Our phone bill when we finally shut it off was around 125-145 a month.

We are originally from Vermont so I do understand the no service issues you can run into up there though.
The high rates are because we are so rural. There are only 2 companies that handle our area, Verizon and US Cellular. The price I was quoting was actually what I found Verizon for (the company I'll use next), my old US Cellular service cost me over $90 a month for a national plan (including taxes and fees, which were almost $40 of that). Even the Verizon prepaid phone I have now had to be a locally purchased phone, one that I bought in Concord wouldn't work in my area. We only get the oldest, most outdated things at high prices. Like my cable internet, that I'm excited to have, even at 1/10 the speed of Roadrunner for more money.

Jim

greenjeepster

The high rates are because we are so rural. There are only 2 companies that handle our area, Verizon and US Cellular. The price I was quoting was actually what I found Verizon for (the company I'll use next), my old US Cellular service cost me over $90 a month for a national plan (including taxes and fees, which were almost $40 of that). Even the Verizon prepaid phone I have now had to be a locally purchased phone, one that I bought in Concord wouldn't work in my area. We only get the oldest, most outdated things at high prices. Like my cable internet, that I'm excited to have, even at 1/10 the speed of Roadrunner for more money.

Jim
Or provider is Verizon. We get a discount through my wife's employer.

91W350

I used a cell phone because that is all we have. It has been trouble free for us. I do not know how it is going to impede my EUC though as I am still waiting. Today is day 15, I understand I may have many more to wait. I just hope I bought a good one....

Jake0147

When I tell people I don't have a cell phone as often as not I get Yeah right, what's your number, or that raised eyebrow like "yeah right, if you don't want to give out your number just say so..."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks