• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil filter cannister leak at base

MDSA

Bonehead - Oil filter cannister leak at base

Last June (4 months ago) one of my oil filter cannisters began leaking something fierce. I noticed the puddle under the Deuce when I came out of Lowes. It was about time for an oil change so I didn't give it much thought.

Now a mere 4 months later, I stopped at Chik-Fil-A for one of my son's to get his check and I don't even get out of the Deuce and the other boy is saying "Uh Oh, Dad" and there's a puddle of oil. I'm not sure but I think it's the same cannister.

I'm sure it's the gasket which is no big deal, but am I doing something wrong? I will check the base of the cannister very carefully this time to see if there are any burrs or sharp edges that may be cutting the gasket. I torque the bolt to about 60 per the TM.

What would make it leak all of a sudden after 4 months? And last time after almost a year?

Last edited:

ctmustang

Unless youre getting crappy gaskets or like you said a bur on bottom of canister only other thing I can think of is letting can turn while tightening. Are you getting the gasket in the groove. The first time I did mine a feew years ago it about drove me crazy trying to figure out why I couldn't pull the gasket up.
Just my 1 cents worth C.T.

Srjeeper

MDSA,

Try retorgueing the canister bolt when the engine is warmed up and see if that helps after you check the other stuff out.

Last edited:

oldshep

I think its a good sign that you should just get you some spin on filters. Best mod i ever made to my truck by far.

Westex

It's time for a Jatonka set up. I plan on doing it soon with mine for the oil filter. But if not, then possible a corroded canister container (jagged) which does not seal right. In other words, the can over the filter has a corroded edge not sealing right. Check it out.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To clarify, don't let the canister turn when tightening, seat the canister and then torque it. You are correct with the torque value, more may loosen the threaded insert below in the bracket.

MDSA

Thanks guys. Will be checking it out in a few minutes. Wanted to see what advice popped up here. Spin on filters might be nice but are cost prohibitive.

MDSA

My bonehead mistake

I have changed oil filter gaskets 4 times since Friday and finally have the reason for the leak - my stupidity. I stayed up until about 1am this morning searching and finally found a definitive answer to how many gaskets to use at the base of the cannister - ONE. But prior to this I had always used both gaskets that came with the Baldwin filter. Both fit and for 2 years I never had trouble. I even called Baldwin this morning, and they were very helpful. Put me through to an engineer who said to use only one.

Some of you I'm sure are shaking your head at me, but the obvious blinded me.

And for anyone not sure about oil filter gaskets on the deuce - just use the flat one.

I hope this helps a few newbies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks