• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

auto hauling military trailer

area52

First of all, I know nothing about military trailers, haven't even seen one in person so pardon the not so smart questions.

One of the reasons I bought my deuce is to haul my soon to be rockcrawler ( 1988 Jeep Comanche truck) to and from the trails. I would like a military trailer with the lunette and air brakes setup to be compatible with my deuce and be able to haul around 4500lbs maybe a little more. I am not worried about heighth as I can make some ramps and drive it up at a pretty steep angle if needed.

What sort of trailer would fit this bill? I am up for a little modification as I realize there aren't too many that are built for auto hauling.

thanks

Wade

Boatcarpenter

Wade
A few months ago there were 2or 3 trailers on GL for auction that would be perfect for your application. I was interested myself but they were too far away to be practical to bid on. They were a military lowbed tandem axle trailer rated around 3 or 4 ton. I don't recall the nomenclature for them. I haven't seen any since then but I'll keep looking. I'll also see if I can come up with some designation for what I saw.
Not a very informative answer, but I'll keep trying!
BC

rmgill

There's a family of platform trailers.

5 ton 4 wheel XM979
5 Ton 4 wheel xm1061 and M1061A1
and 7.5 ton 4 wheel xm1073 (some have 8 wheels and a rubber band track on either side).

They are very heavy duty and heavy, a civilian trailer might be easier but you'll put more work converting it over to run the military brake system or getting the truck up to speck to run the civilian brakes.

Big trick is they don't have ramps, something to add to the design. But the level jacks are pretty substantial.

Attachments

rmgill

Woah, that's a big trailer.
Looks like the ones they towed behind the big E-Plant trucks to carry around buckets and other parts for the big excavators that were mounted on trucks.

area52

Ryan,

which trailer is in the picture? that one would work fine for me as long as it didn't have the rubber bands.

that one on ebay is a little large and a little too far away for me, thanks for the info guys.

rmgill

That's the xm1073. They come up for sale on GL everyso often in that form and in other forms. Seems like one could add a few bits of channel along the edges, a pair of hinges for wheel ramps, some ramps and such and have an excellent trailer for a jeep, heavier duty than you'd ever need. I looked at one for a while but went with a slightly longer equipment trailer that's setup about the same.

Those trailers have some extra features that make them useful for towing mine clearing line charges behind M113s. That's what the second lunette eye/boom is for.

CGarbee

That XM1073 looks similar to my M1076 5t four wheel flatbed. Great little trailer to use behind the M35 to haul M715/725 or M37/M43 or similar on (I like to use mine to haul back parts trucks...). Great addition is a small winch to the front for ease in loading non-op trucks. Got ramps that had a ring in the font for a bar that is the same diameter as the lugs on the back of the trailer from my local GSA yard... With a section of heavy pipe and some caps, I've got adjustable ramps...
Will have to take some photos and post them...
Trailer has composite lights at the back with the standared M series trailer plug and full air brakes...

NEIOWA

Take a look at the M796 Bolster trailer. 4t capacity (offroad) and not as high or heavy as the flatbeds mentioned above. The M796 weighs 4820lb empty. The flatbeds are 5500lb and up.

govliq several of those old 10t (in decent) last week for $1300-2000

rmgill

Yeah, a Bolster Trailer with a stripped down dropside bed on it would be ideal for this application. I kind of want to get one with a longer shelter on it for a good mobile MV camper. But then I can't tow the trailer with the Dingo or Ferret on it.

area52

Yea I was looking at those M200a1's on GL, could fab up a bed of some sorts to put the truck on.

Anyone have pictures of the M796 Bolster trailer?

was thinking about making the ramps as part of the sides so after you loaded the truck the ramps became sort of a stake side, not sure yet just tossing around ideas. I still have months to go before I get my deuce anyway!

thanks again

Wade

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
What about just bolting on a duece bed onto one of those trailers? Looks like it would be a perfect fit. A duece bed would be alot easier and cheaper than making a bed.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt the M1076 the PLS trailer?? Thats what it was when I was in... 6 wheeled, airbraked, carries 16 tons, air lifted drawbar, pulled by a PLS or LHS...

area52

Djfreema said:
What about just bolting on a duece bed onto one of those trailers? Looks like it would be a perfect fit. A duece bed would be alot easier and cheaper than making a bed.
A) don't have an extra deuce bed
B) I do have access to a lot of extra metal beams and stuff to build a real simple bed
C) I really don't want something too heavy, just something big enough to tow my truck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the wheelbase on the Commanche? Are you determined to have a single or dual axle trailer? While I really like the idea of converting a bolster trailer, there may be something else you can use of the machine is short enough. The M103A3 chassis trailer with a generator bed might work. Its got fenders you would need to drive over but the trailer is only 10' long.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks