• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M561 Gamma Goat Windshied Defroster

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know where I can get that funny looling piece of sheetmetal that sits on the dash of the Gamma Goat that directs air to the windwshield?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you installing the complete "Winterization" kit? It's not well described in the TMs I have. In the diagram below, where does the hot air come from? Is there a separate heater in the front section or does it all come from the rear mounted fuel burning heater?

A word of caution when using the fuel burning heater for defrosting, the air is very hot, between 200 and 300 degrees F. and you may crack the windshield if it's not warmed up first.
For all you Gama Goat people, check the PS mag section (still old site):
Steel Soldiers :: Military Vehicles Supersite

Edit: Added image.

Attachments

Last edited:

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As dumb as this may sound, I am not sure where the hot air comes from. I just bought the goat this week and have not picked it up yet. The only obvious thing I saw wrong with it was the hole in the dash where this defroster deflector goes. I hope to know more next week. Thanks for the good info. Also, as you can probably tell from the "yet" at the end of the second sentence above, I am from the south (Texas) and therefore don't have to worry too much about real cold windshields.
John, let me know if you find one.
Thanks,
Jim

jfnemt1ff1

The heater for the ft of the gama comes the ft fuel fired heater. The heater mounts under the pass side seat with and plate and some worm clamps. It gets its fuel from a 24v electric pump mt in the engine bay. The ext vents out behind the pass seat into the engine bay. And like BJorn said yes you can crack the windshield if it is not warm before. The heater it self heats the cab up fast that in turn clears the ft windshield. The defrosteer vent that you are looking for helps keep the fog of the inside if the glass. I would say wait till you get it home and chenk it over someone might have taken the whole heater kit out. Then look at the tm,s and pms on here a ton of good info.
John

cessnatwin

I was just online looking up the ducting to replace what is in my goat w/ new stuff... I do not know where to go get it other than Spruce Aircraft Supplies! Anybody have any ideas? It is easy and fast to get from there! I just repainted and refurbished that part you are looking for today as a matter of fact...

cessnatwin

Anybody out there have about 5 of the slats from an old engine cover. Mine has a few missing from where someone bent the hood prop and it knocked them out! I want to get some and weld them in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks