• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fighting trans install need help

digitaldust

Help , I have been out side in the 40`F rain all day fighting with a transmission on my deuce its the right clutch and its aligned with a tool I'n done a few car trans there much lighter.
I have a crane and very part time help. Is there a trick to getting a trans back on the truck ?

if there is a SS member in Mid mich that could help that would be great this is the
2nd day messing around I have gotten long bolts hoping to get the trans straight on the shaft going on the motor but its all a pain

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I had a similar settup like you do and had to take off the inspection plate to see it line up(the trans input shaft and the clutch). Ended up using a small bottle jack under the trans to line it up right.

Peepaw

I've had a lot of manual transmissions out. Back in the 70's I worked on dumptrucks with big trans a lot.
The main thing is that the trans needs to be almost perfectly in alignment.
The bigger and heavier the trans the more this can cause problems because of the mass that you have to move around.
On a lightweight 5 speed Camaro trans you can wiggle it just a bit. A deuce trans on the other hand is a lot harder to just wiggle a bit.
When I say wiggle, I'm only talking about just a smidge. I see guys realy moving the trans a lot and that tells me it's not lined up and it's not likely to get lined up any time soon.
It looks like in one of your pics you used and old input shaft to line up the clutch, so you should be good there.
Most of the transmissions that have really put up a fight in the past will just all of a sudden fall in just about when you think you cannot take it anymore.:roll:
I wouldn't think that the cherry picker coming through the door is the absolute perfect way, but you have to use what you have. Unless the wheels on the cherry picker are free to roll to the sides, then it is going to want to fight back as you try to slide the trans in.
You are going to have to make sure it is perfectly lined up and maybe put the trans in gear and try turning the output shaft. This will help the teeth on the input shaft line up with the splines in the clutch disc.
If I lived up there I would come help you but I don't.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try putting the transmission in reverse before you try to lift it into place. You're probably having the same trouble I had...the small shaft on the upper/back of the transmission for the old sprag transfer cases was getting hung up on the cross member right behind the transmission. This wouldn't allow me to get the darned thing to line up right either...I fought that thing for over an hour before I got it into place.

Of course I found out afterward that if you put the transmission in reverse, that shaft draws up into the transmission and gives you more clearance to get it aligned properly.

Last edited:
the method your using with the picker works a little better if you hang a chain fall from the hook.

it gives a little more movement fore and aft without having to drag the picker against the wheels.

also cuts out the need for the helper as the chain to raise and lower can be dropped down thru the floor and you can adjust the height yourself.

peepaw is correct with putting the trans in gear.

how else can you turn the input shaft to alighn the splines?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the above is good advice. Sometimes when a project is being difficult, it helps to take a breather. Hopefully when you resume your installation, it will fall together. The chainfall is a giant help. It gives you the small movements you need to put the shaft nose into the bearing. Be careful.

wdbtchr

And try to keep your fingers out of pinch points. When it suddenly decides to slip into position it can and will bite your fingers. Ask me how I know.:oops:

digitaldust

I have removed the tunnel floor cover and the lid to the trans is off. I was fighting the cover sprag pin . i will remove the cover on the bell to see in. I have lots of large tools just not a chain fall , how about a come a long from the hook on the lit ? seems like too much work going up and down

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try putting the transmission in reverse before you try to lift it into place. You're probably having the same trouble I had...the small shaft on the upper/back of the transmission for the old sprag transfer cases was getting hung up on the cross member right behind the transmission. This wouldn't allow me to get the darned thing to line up right either...I fought that thing for over an hour before I got it into place.

Of course I found out afterward that if you put the transmission in reverse, that shaft draws up into the transmission and gives you more clearance to get it aligned properly.
I know you meant to say first, not reverse...:roll::smile:

G.

Jake0147

Many times when I get a stubborn one, I find it helpful to get it close, then use threaded rod or LONG bolts to place in two opposing bell housing bolt holes. That kind of keeps the front in place so that as you move the back by hand to line it up, the front stays in place.
Beyond that, good advice above... The chain fall is not required, but is very, very nice, it saves a lot of trips to the jack handle. A come-a-long in this application is OK, but the same issue you already have. You have to go to it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
all good advise, but just to help a little, the old shaft you used to install disk should slide in and out VERY easily. just hold it so you have the weight of the shaft and gently slide it, it should move freely. this will help later.

you want to 'eye up' the trans to have it square with the engine once you get it into position. moving the rear of the trans only 1/8 or less is all it takes while slowly turning the trans output with it in gear.

having the top cover off will help greatly. i always take it off first and put it on last. also easy to add oil.

the hoist you are using is your biggest enemy. as you move the trans in any direction it also lifts up as the chain swings. it may not seem like much, but it will work against you.

digitaldust

Its IN wow man here is a video there is a little spin in N still the 1st gear kinda clicks a bit not as bad after i adjusted the clutch to the throwout did not touch the fingers on the PP making the kit spin even clutch in and transfer in HI
see the video
the trans also drive much quieter

btw i picked up a wench for free and ran the power from my telco truck's 110 service. then the trans went right in as the crane was tilting the trans away from the clutch disk
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCLPvOab_FE[/media]

Attachments

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I think ya got the clutch a tad too tight...need about 2-3" of free travel IMO...also sometimes I o go into second gear and then into first to avoid the dreaded " grind'em" factor.:-D

digitaldust

thanks guys I push the clutch in for about 20 Sec the first time and the drive line never stopped spinning but after adjusting the clutch again its all back to normal.
thanks again everyone

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks