• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce L.E.D taillights

bc35339

Are these rare?
Are these expensive?
I havent been aroud a lot of m35a2's but out of the 10 trucks here in my town mine is the only 1 Ive seen with l.e.d.'s.
I sold that truck but i took the L.E.D's off and kept them and plan to put them on my new winch truck.

FL_Frank

I can't imagine it'd be all that hard or expansive to build a breadboard with the right shape with an array of LEDs in parallel on it and a resistor to drop the voltage. Or just use existing LED arrays for marker, tail/lights and assemble using that.

Was never sure why they cost so much, but maybe the milspec drives up the cost. LED tail lights are down my list, but intend on giving them a go when I can.

Snarky

I think the LEDs look cool, but I've seen new vehicles with one or two LEDs not working after awhile, and if you're OCD that stuff can bother you. At least the incandescent bulbs are 'relatively' easily replaced.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some aluminum housed lights..they are "normal" M series looking lights, just aluminum and not plastic. The BO side are all LED and the regular lights, stop, run, turn, are incandesant. Just thought it was a good thing!

Jones

I haven't seen much difference in life span or dependability, but I do know that the TruckLite face plates will attach to the existing buckets once the incandescent innards are removed. With Grote, you have to buy their housings too as they moved some screw holes around.
If you go to the LED lights and markers you have to get an LED turn signal flasher as the original mil. spec. units won't work with the LEDs-- they don't have enough current draw.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can buy them new if you have deep pockets or make your own for a lot less. Here are a couple of options. I have the "inserts" on the deuce and the M105 and they work great. Replacing just the bulb is less satisfactory, since it limits the angle of view (at the time, a voltage dropping resistor was also needed).

The solid state flasher shouldn't have any problem with the LED vs incandescent, the transistor will turn on regardless of load current. Some of the new flasher units have other issues, here is a "Radio Shack" version dug out from the epoxy casting by yours truly.

Attachments

Lex_Ordo

If you go to the LED lights and markers you have to get an LED turn signal flasher as the original mil. spec. units won't work with the LEDs-- they don't have enough current draw.
That is true with Trucklite, but Grote corrected the issue with resistors added into the circuitry at the factory. With my soild state, I have no issues.

bc35339

So what will I have to do to put the l.e.d.s that I took off a truck i sold and put on my new winch truck?? The only thing i took from the truck i sold is the l.e.d taillights, I didnt take the flasher or anything just the tail lights.
Im only guessing that the new truck dont have l.e.d.s on it nor a speical flasher. I havent been able to get on base yet to see it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks