• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 / m211 gmc parts

markcos

what happed to all the gmc parts, i was looking at some mv mags and only found 2 or 3 venders , U.S (maybe canada) must have had alot of parts left over after they got rid of them , who has them ? , all the other mv ;s have a large supply to draw from , is the gmc like owning a bantom from the 30s?
i am not talking canvas and M seires stuff or T/O, the goods like hoods , fenders , blocks , heads , tranys in the box , bumpers , winch kits , heater kits , doors ,did it all get scraped? , or go over seas? , theirs got to be more than 2 to 3 venders for this stuff , who knows of a master list on this stuff , i would like see this , Thanks , and its never to cold or wet to take your mv s for a ride , you only live once, and can only rub it with a diaper or leave the lights on for so long .:-D

WPNS421

There ar eonly a few people selling the old M135/211 parts are getting rare. Everytime I see the parts I buy them and store them. The hardest parts to find are body parts. I have 2 transmissions and a lot of various engine parts. Nobody wants to keep the old deuce parts and if a truck is too old the will sell it for scrap metal. I bough a M135 that I was planning to scrap but I held on to it for 3 years and finally someone bought it to restore. Good luck findin your parts.

BugEyeBear

Yeah, seems like Memphis & Alpha Heaven are the largest suppliers. But I think even they are cutting back on what they carry.
I recently bought 2 brand-new complete M211 doors from Memphis at an unbelieveably low price, as they just don't want to store them anymore.
And they used to do rebuiulds of the dual range auto trannys, but they don't offer this service anymore... (So now I dread the day that something goes wrong with my trans...)
I've seen similar bargain rates on various parts from other vendors, but the # of parts is usually low, & once they are gone, THEY ARE GONE!
OF COURSE, the large stuff costs more to store, so that is the stuff that they get rid of 1st.
And if the price of scrap metal remains high I can only assume that parts will continue to become more & more scarce.

I'm greatful that there are still a few suppliers out there for these fine trucks. But I fear that one day soon we will be on our own....

badgmc56

I think the biggest problem is the demand for these GMC parts. If more people would restore the trucks instead of scrapping them , the dealers would want to stock more parts. Why would you want to stock parts for trucks that sit on the shelves for years. Too many guys are afraid of the GMC because of the tranny. I love mine and would not part with it for anything. So lets start seeking them out and saving them from the scrapper!

135gmc

The gas engined trucks, the GMCs and the REOs & Whites, were all that you could find until the multifuels started becoming available as surplus. The multifuels needed repair, not restoration, and civilians who had driven them in the military knew how to take care of them. The gas fueled trucks became collector's vehicles, and when gas hit $ 4 per gallon, a diesel truck with better mileage spoke louder to potential buyers than a gas truck.

rustystud

Yes, in fact the internals are the same as all GM dual range 4 speed trannys. I have rebuilt these in the past and still have some spares laying around, including the oil pan with the water cooling radiator. The problem is the soft parts like oil seals and clutch lip seals. Also the fiber clutches are getting extremely rare. They are made with a two part material. One is cork and the other is a paper like material similar to modern transmissions. The trucks used a six pinion clutch housing and the cars used a 4 pinion housing, but in a pinch you could use the 4 pinion housing.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have three trucks I can sell some parts off of, located in north central Indiana, pick-up preferred. I do not want to mess with packing and shipping larger items. I would like to have some compensation for part removal time spent. It may take some time for me to get the parts off because I usually have a full schedule.

USMC 00-08

Yes, in fact the internals are the same as all GM dual range 4 speed trannys. I have rebuilt these in the past and still have some spares laying around, including the oil pan with the water cooling radiator. The problem is the soft parts like oil seals and clutch lip seals. Also the fiber clutches are getting extremely rare. They are made with a two part material. One is cork and the other is a paper like material similar to modern transmissions. The trucks used a six pinion clutch housing and the cars used a 4 pinion housing, but in a pinch you could use the 4 pinion housing.
Where do you find the rebuild parts for these?

rustystud

Where do you find the rebuild parts for these?
On my previous builds, I went to older junk yards and got the "4 speed Dual Range Hydromatic" Transmissions from 1954 to 1960 Cadillac's, Buicks, Pontiacs, and Chevys. The Caddys are your best bet. As far as soft parts go, there are some companies in Arizona that still stock NOS rebuild kits for these. Arizona doesn't have an "inventory tax" or at least it didn't. So these suppliers can afford to keep old NOS stuff on the shelves. I cannot off the top of my head remember any names of the suppliers though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks