• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air-o-MAtic

saddamsnightmare

October 13th, 2009.

More sauce on the goose, please!:-D

I have heard a lot of grousing in here that the Air-O-Matic steering units aren't power steering and its better to cobble up some joe shade tree hydraulic units.... Listen up! I just had the local ex-Nam deuce mechanic replace a rear main and carrier seal that was leaking on my M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare" (truck in my icon), and he put on the Air-O-Matic I got a while back from Brian Bull (May the saints praise his name and the Pope beatify him), and it really tamed the deuce. The old boy had never seen a deuce fitted with an Air-O-Matic in the 'Nam, or at least not in his motorpool, and he was completely entralled with the unit, saying "you can steer it with one hand!" You can.
The deuce is a completely different animal with the air assist, and it will recenter itself if you start the wheel back towards center, the caster and camber will restore the steering to center by itself if you don't fight the wheel.
In the speed range of 2 to 20 mph, the deuce reacts so fast to the Air-O-Matic that it can be frightening if you're not ready for it, and on soft surfaces (with all the rain we've had this week, that's everything not a main highway), it reacts even faster. Boys, I do not begrudge Mr. Bull a penny of what this unit cost, it was everything he said and more...... I hope when he gets back from wherever he's at now, he gets to put one on his deuce. Uncle paid good money for these, and when the deuces are phased out, there should be more Air-O-Matics hit the market at a more reasonable price then new.... GRAB ONE!
You won't have to worry about losing your thumb to a rock or stump....
And one gets used to the air venting just like you do for the air compressor governor.... It seems to be an eminently strong and well designed power steering unit (and yes, compressed air qualifies as "Power" when used in this application) that should last as long as the truck.
Just my .02 worth,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:p

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it's that they don't work, but more this: Why would I pay 1800 for a new kit when my deuce was only $625?

Divemaster920

Banned
And I do not have a problem with mine "recemtering"........just keep the thumbs UP:p.
And I do like hand over hand steering. I was taught that the same year my M35 was made. I was only 9.

Josh

i have an air-o-matic on my truck and i love it. i take mine out in the sand alot, and when trying to back up my trailer and what not being able to turn the wheel with out having to fight it is beyond nice. when the airgoverner on my steering gasket broke, i bypassed the air-o-matic until i could properly fix it. i feel sorry for anyone who has to go from stop to stop while stationary. im a big guy and consider myself quiet strong, and i even had trouble turning the damn wheel stationary. i thought i was going to break the thing i was yanking on it so hard.

that said, if you can afford, or can aquire a truck with it installed, and have never drive one with it. you will be amazed.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 3 trucks with Air-O-Matic. 2 M35A2's & 1 M109A3 all installed by Uncle Sam.

I'll be putting one on my M275A2 & my M49A2C. I've had some new ones for a few years, got em from Mr. Bloom before the price shot up.

Me - I like em alot.

wsucougarx

My wife's '88 M35A2C came with the unit already installed....absolutely love it. So much so I also purchased a kit from Brianrbull to go on my awaiting mystery M109A3/M185A3. She's out there somewhere, she just needs to come home:p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks