• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Engine on M35a2c ???

regicidal919

I am the guy with the blown engine in his duece. Is it easier to replace the engine and tranny as one unit, or should I just do the engine, my tranny and clutch were working great before the #3 piston let go.

I have the option of picking up the engine already affixed to a working tranny, thats why I am asking.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd get it if its reasonable. It is much easier to swap out as one unit. I say that, but have never just pulled the motor w/o the tranny. Then again, what supports the tranny if you only pull the motor?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's much easier to pull the engine and trans together. You can even leave the radiator attched if you like but if your new engine doesn't have a radiator with it you'd have to remove it anyway.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
As long as you are gonna' pull the engine and trans apart, I might consider putting a rear main seal in. Much easier now than 6 months from now when it starts leaking.

2cents

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not just the condition of the tranny that you are getting that is in question, but the clutch should be looked at as well. Don't want to put one in that needs replacing in 5k miles.

If your already going to have it all apart, you should check the clutch and replace if necessary. Either way, I would definitly do the rear seal as others have said, and check the seal on the tranny too while you are there. And throwout bearings are relatively cheap, I would change that out too.

Then you should be good to go for many more miles.

GoHot229

Militarytrucks.com has them, used for $450 up to around $1,200 up for runners. I'm sure there are some closer for the comperable prices. Just happened across it when surfing, and put it in my listing for Deuce that I have in favorites, listing all interesting or relevant Deuce stuff I might ever need They happen to be in Texas, so as I say, there is likely someone closer to you.
ccequiptment.com comes to mind also, in Indiana, a bit closer, but above a thousand it's looking better to get one from GL for 12-15 or thereabouts and swap out and gleen all the goodies to your outfit.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It can't possibly be harder than replacing a 5 ton engine.
We pulled the engine/tranny on the 816 in one shot...while the radiator was out I had it serviced and painted.....also had the flywheel resurfaced since some dolt had tried to burn the clutch out.
Make sure you store and label all the bolts and nuts. Also tape tags on any wiring or tubing that you might forget what hooks to.
It helps to have a big forklift or something to lift with that has adjustment capability.
Just my input for what it is worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks