• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many M35's come standard with key ignition?

DoctorCheney223

Hi Folks,

Picked up my second truck today and was surprised to see that this truck needed keys to start. Luckily the hauler new what a hyster key was and recognized this when he went to pick up the truck.

We thought the ignition lever was busted off when we went to preview the truck. The gentleman at GL figured it was broken as well but initially thought it looked like a key ignition. When the driver jumped in the truck to start it from a push (GL used forklift for push) he right away gave us a call. He told us that hyster keys are used on forklifts so we found on before he arrived (luckily it was right around the corner and only $2).

How many trucks came standard with this type of key? This vehicle in particular has a warranty plate of 03/88 and from the California Air Force National Guard.

BTW, how can I find out the original manufacturer and build date? The truck has a blue tag with the warranty date but not an original like my other one.

thanks,
Ron

wsucougarx

Hey Ron, not too many came with keyed ignition. My '86 M35A2C did have a keyed ignition though. It also had a transfer case lockout (padlock braket to keep in neutral). Plus the truck was stationed just south of San Diego in close proximity to Mexico. Not sure it that had anything to do with it. I was kind of surprised to find that feature on a USAF truck though. My '88 USAF Oregon based truck didn't have it though. Must just be the CA thing

liftman

Those keys are a universal key used on many different lift trucks. Hyster, Yale, Taylor, and some older Clarks use them. They are about $2 each at any lift truck dealer that has these brands.

DoctorCheney223

Is there another place that I should be able to find the year of manufature on the vehicle? I am heading back down to the shop here in a few to inspect it for a number so I can submit the SF-97.

thanks,
Ron

DoctorCheney223

Ron, check the left front frame rail above the axel, vin # should be in that area.

The VIN plate on the dash states 88K353 1040-11307 and the vin on the frame rail on the driver side frame rail states 1040-11307.

Is there a way to decipher the year from these numbers other than being rebuilt in 03/88?

thanks,
Ron

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a 1988 model (not a rebuild in 1988, but was manufactured in 1988) Check my late model USAF trucks spotters guide I wrote on here a while back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks