• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Flange Gasket or Sealant

Snarky

I'm just curious on how many people seal up their axles and flanges with the paper gasket that sell for about $2.50 or if everyone uses some kind of sealant? The first time I pulled my axles to check my brakes I reused the paper gasket, and it leaked, then I made a gasket with gasket material, and that leaked. So then I just said screw it and put on a suitable permatex product. No leak.

I don't have any issues when removing it, just hit the part with a rubber mallet to brake the seal and razor blade away, then replace with suitable sealant when done.

Is this what other people do or do you just buy a lot of seals when it's PM time?

Jake0147

From experience on medium duty (deuce sized) civvy trucks-

Paper gaskets are fine.
Permatex by it's self is fine.
Permatex on a paper gasket leaks.
Universall gasket material leaks.
Permatex on universal gasket material leaks.

It's an easy seal. Anything that leaks from it does so because the axle is shifting under the bolts, actually bending them slightly back and forth. They don't tolerate that very long, and the break off just below the hub surface where you can't get at them.

All that said, I wanted to use paper gaskets because that's what it had, but could not find any locally. Thus I used permatex. (OK, I have another favorite brand, but same stuff). But I don't consider either an "upgrade" to the other. Between those two choices, go with either.

Last edited:

BugEyeBear

Just Permatex.

The High-Temp Red RTV stuff.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...ermatex_High-Temp_Red_RTV_Silicone_Gasket.htm

Good from -65degreesF to 650degreesF intermittant (WAY More that you'll ever need!).

Resists cracking, shrinking, & migrating. Also resists auto & shop fluids.

Works Great!

The RTV Blue stuff probably works fine also. But where I buy it the Red & Blue are the same price, so I figure "Buy the higher temp".
Besides, I like the Red color (easier to see).

HMMMMmmmmmm... I wonder if threy make an RTV Olive Drab??

Snarky

It's not about which is easier to take off, but which is cheaper to put on. Is there a place where you can get those paper bastards for less than 2.50 a pop?

BugEyeBear

Personally I don't consider which is cheaper, nor which is easier to take off.

My only concern is which will seal better & last the longest!

IMHO Permatex seals better, is more durable, adapts to irregular/damaged surfaces, and is always the right shape/size.

Last edited:

Snarky

Personally I don't consider which is cheaper, nor which is easier to take off.

My only concern is which will seal better & last the longest!

IMHO Permatex seals better, is more durable, adapts to irregular/damaged surfaces, and is always the right shape/size.
Paper gaskets are good and fast, but aint cheap.

Sealant is good and cheap, but aint fast.

Gasket material cheap and fast, but it aint good.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use paper gaskets/make my own. Only takes a few minutes. Use a magazine cover. Cut a hole in it. Drop it over the axle shaft and use a small ball pean to tap out the outline. I us R/V sealant on both sides. An old time mechanic started me that way.

Lee in Alaska

Snarky

I use paper gaskets/make my own. Only takes a few minutes. Use a magazine cover. Cut a hole in it. Drop it over the axle shaft and use a small ball pean to tap out the outline. I us R/V sealant on both sides. An old time mechanic started me that way.

Lee in Alaska
Thats a pretty cool idea...

HDN

I'm bringing this back to life - I'm going to pull axle shafts soon and wonder what I should use in 2023 as far as Permatex gasket maker goes for the drive flanges:

• The black stuff (#75190) has maximum oil resistance. If the drive flange is supposed to help keep gear oil from escaping, I'd think this would be the way to go, correct?
  • The gray stuff (#75191) is for high-torque applications and seems less flexible. Is the drive flange considered high-torque for this purpose? I'm tempted to say no because it's bolted to the hub.
  • There's also "The Right Stuff" black 90-minute gasket maker
Thoughts?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm bringing this back to life - I'm going to pull axle shafts soon and wonder what I should use in 2023 as far as Permatex gasket maker goes for the drive flanges:

• The black stuff (#75190) has maximum oil resistance. If the drive flange is supposed to help keep gear oil from escaping, I'd think this would be the way to go, correct?
  • The gray stuff (#75191) is for high-torque applications and seems less flexible. Is the drive flange considered high-torque for this purpose? I'm tempted to say no because it's bolted to the hub.
  • There's also "The Right Stuff" black 90-minute gasket maker
Thoughts?
Maybe my memory isn't as good as it once was, but when I turned wrenches on Dueces and 5-Tons daily plain old blue silicone is what I used. Let sit for a day and trim the excess. Truck couldn't "graduate" from the Truck Shop with any leaks... When they were returned from a job, the things I worked on didn't have gear oil dribbling out of the axles. Wire brush to clean both surfaces, then MEK, then a thin layer of silicone.

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks