• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saw this posted over at G503.com

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont know anything else other than what it says...

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:37 am Post subject: 600+ hmmwv's at fort hooks drmo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wow! i could not believe my eyes. i drove out to texarkana yesterday to pick up a few sets of goodyear tires and rims from govliquidation. piles of hmmwv tires stretched as far as i could see. i turned my head and thought i'd died and gone to heavan. 6 rows of hmmwv's a mile long. every style and color scheme, hard tops, soft tops, ambulances, you name it. they were all lined up ready for the crusher. there were piles of armor doors and heaps of canvas covers. every imaginable configuration and accessory was there in front of me.
while we were wandering through the forgotten hmmwv's a govt employee drove up. i thought he was going to ask us to leave but instead he grabbed a set of seat cushions and climbed back into his truck. my son turned to me and asked, "dad, do you want me to go get your toolbox?" as much as i wanted to say yes, i had to reply " son, that would be stealing and we are not theifs." not to mention the penalty incourred with theft fom a military base.
i wish i could post pics but my camera phone was confiscated at the gate and returned to me when we left.

slash79

thats just stupid right there. those Humvees could sell for about 10 to 20 thousand around here, and thats a lot more than what they would get at the scrap yard. Our govt is so stupid sometimes...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guy is totally assuming they are going to be crushed... And has no proof of that. So it might not be what it seems....

mangus580

I agree with e22's comment. They could have been all lined up to head out just about anywhere. Rebuild, different bases, guard units? There just isnt any way of knowing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm. POS 6.2 eh? I'm not so sure that they ar a POS. Underpowered, that they are but POS? My 1st POS had over 400,000 when I sold the truck and my slightly less POS 6.5 is nearing 200,000 with nary a complaint. Anyone wants to dump their POS 6.2s you can drop them off here.

wyliek

is there any reason why they would scrap them instead of auction them?? if i had they money i would definatly buy one and im sure there are plenty of ppl that would pay 20K for one !

CCATLETT1984

Mainly because they are not street legal as equipped. you would have to do some mods to ensure DOT compliance. It would be a hassle for them to deal with. Although this might change once the Humvee's start being replaced and then liquidated. That, and I dont think that they like selling current mil. vehicles to the general public. :(

williamh

CCATLETT1984 said:
Mainly because they are not street legal as equipped. you would have to do some mods to ensure DOT compliance. It would be a hassle for them to deal with. Although this might change once the Humvee's start being replaced and then liquidated. That, and I dont think that they like selling current mil. vehicles to the general public. :(
not street legal ????? like the m35 or anything else that some of us here own ...

the only reason that they are not let out to the public, is the deal that they have with the people at hummer .. they want to get thier hundred grand for the H1 .. .and they cant get that if the gov. is dumping all thier old trucks at bargan basment prices .

uncle sam pays about 30 grand for a truck .. we pay well over 80 for the same thing with diffrent doors , seats, wheels .. all the thing that make them the coin ....

if it was safety that they were concerned about .. they wouldnt let the brits sell that little mini in the USofA

just my 2c

I was thinking about repowering an M37 with a 6.2 and cucv driveline, but kept hearing they are POS, so I started looking in other directions. Still haven't settled on anything yet, but I think the biggest problem with them in the 3 speed tranny. No 4th gear or OD makes them scream something fierce and suck down the fuel at 65 on the freeway.

jasonjc

I was at hook afew mouth ago to and there where 100's if not 1000's of hummer.every field, along all the road green tan camo 2 door 4 door soft top hard top. All fresh and ready to go some where. But I also see alot of them in the scarp pile if you look at so some of the scrap action you can make out hummer pices's. hope fully there where one that where not rebuildable.?.?
But it is the got. I got a m105 out of ft reily that was smased petty good yet look at the srap pile and seen a real gooding M103 trailer on top of the pile along with deuce cabs and beds. If any one know where or who has the trem contract for scrap steel at Ft Reily it would be nice to pick thougt there yard.

devilman96

DOT my butt...

Them they are highly dangerous militarize weapons systems and it is far better we are protected from our selves than to let some MV collector go out take over the country by driving one down the street!!! Thank god my well planned and carefully spent tax dollars are protecting Hummer and me from me!!! :cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks