• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to stencil markings

dougimes

My humble opinion on markings...

I have a lot of experience with using stencils to make markings. I have tried over the years varous methods including:

Water masking
taping
die-cut masks

I have a favorite way that is quick and easy and gives decent results.

Steps

1. buy stencils from the hobby store
2. layout stencils to the marking you need and tape them together
3. lay them on postal wrapping paper and trace numbers with a pensil
4. cut out the letters with an exacto knife
5. spray back of postal mask with artist spray adhesive. not spray adhesive, artist spray adhesive. it tacks but is removable, and doesn't leave a residue.
6. stick it on the vehicle and spray with flat paint. Flat paint is important, satin can work. Flat paint dries quick and tends not to bleed. If you need gloss, shoot flat and then shoot clear gloss over the top later on.
7. remove the masks after the paint is dry. If there is over spray, wipe it off with fine steel wool within the hour before it starts to harden.

The above gives authentic looking results- very good but not perfect. if you are a perfectist, might want to figure something else out.

For stars, use masking tape, dont stencil.

Attachments

Westex

I wish I'd read this post 3 hours ago. I just stenciled my re-done fuel tank and the spray between the D I E S E L O N L Y looks like poop.

HardCorps79

In Iraq we ran out of paper rolls (no kidding!) and so we used manila envelopes and file folders. Then we ran out of those. For flat areas we ended up just having to tape the metal stencils on and then put them in the solvent tank (plenty of that stuff) when we were done. Thanks for the post!

goldneagle

I made my own stencils from the font i found on SS and my laser printer. Printed on plain paper and then cut out with execto knife. Cut the completed stencil within 3/4" of openings in letters. i taped the stencil to the hood using painter's blue tape. I added more paper on top of the tape to extend the covered area to protect from overspray. I used flat white paint and let it dry. Pealed the stencil off and tossed it! Looks great!

Attachments

steelandcanvas

The above gives authentic looking results- very good but not perfect. if you are a perfectist, might want to figure something else out.
"Very good " is what they would have done in the Motorpool, which makes it look even more original. Unless you're showing for points, I think your way is very acceptable.

redcoat54th

I've laid out my letters or letters on blue masking tape and cut them out with an exacto knife. For large letters (3") I just lay a couple of widths of tape together with an overlap. If you do it horizontal you can do the whole line with care. I have a large sheet of white cutting board material for cutting and the blue tape does not stick to it. Transfer the blue tape "stencil" into place, make sure the edges of each letter are plessed down and spray with semi-gloss or flat. When dry, remove.
Also works very well for non standard outlines, symbols. Unit crests and such can be done in several layers.
I have also used thin gasket material and penciled the outline onto my surface and feehanded the art onto the surface. Here is my personal logo and unit crest I did for my Ferret Armoured Car using gasket material. Bob

Attachments

badgmc56

Just a heads up to everyone. When applying the "National Symbol" (star) on horizontal surfaces , the star will be applied with one point directly toward the front of the vehicle or equipment. On vertical surfaces the star will have one point directly up. That is from the TB 746-93-1 marking manual.

dougimes

I used this pix of wc's in North Africa for orientation of the star. looks like the motorpool boys didn't look at the TM either. I am sure they were a long way from a TM, or it was buried in the sand. I have no excuse.........

Attachments

dougimes

I used this pix of wc's in north africa for the orientation of the star, you can see it in the first wc. Looks like the motor pool boys over there didn't look at the TM either. They had an excuse, there being a war on and all.

I don't.......

Attachments

Opie

IIRC the star was pointing to the rear for WWII and it was changed in the 1959 or 1964 manuals to point towards the front.

dougimes

I'd hate to know how much I got right depending on mistakes that cancelled each other out.

I made the brackets that hold the bed backwards, but also had them on the wrong side of the cross member, so they ended up right.

maxim

Seems there are as many types as needed for field expedient for stars and numbers. Just a couple of shots of stencils and stars from the 44th Infantry Division 1944-45. The tanks got winter camo and the star is cock-eyed. The
batallion jeep has huge numbers. 157th Field Artillery trucks with large stars in a large white field.

Attachments

waayfast

I once overheard a proffesional restorer of mv's telling a do it yourselfer (borrowing a corner of the pros shop to finish his Jeep)not to worry that his attempt at stencilling wasn't PERFECT.He said it actually made it look more realistic cuz you gotta remember a lot of the time paint jobs in the military were done 18 year old enlisted men with hangovers, so 99% of the time it wasn't PERFECT anyway. HHHMMM?---works for me!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks