• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sometimes slight and sometimes rough vibration between 44-52mph

Divemaster920

Banned
I didn't want to steal the other new guys post.

So here goes..Last week I changed out the Sprag for an Air-Shift. Now between 35-48 I also feel the uuuummmmmmm..uuuuummmmmm in the seat. I did a test with the e-brake and can feel a vibration at all speeds that corresponds. The Sprag did not have this vibration at all. I did notice a noise and an "easy" spot in the u-joint between the transfer and the rear axle. I suspect that is the problem. I will replace it.
Now the question. Has anyone else had this and did it fix yours?
Curtis

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the parking brake drum, for runout(warped).

Divemaster920

Banned
I slightly engaged the e-brake during operation. I could feel the vibration much more in the e-brake.
The u-joint would move much easier in one direction than another and very much easier in one spot.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like your new t-case has a warped parking brake drum. If the Parking brake is left on accidentally, it gets hot! This is a common cause for it to warp and create a vibration at near highway speeds. If you can feel it in the P brake handle, as you apply it while moving, I think you found your issue.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of mine had a vibration / shudder that would oscilate.
I found bolts loose on the drive shaft between trans & tc.
have not driven it since, but I think that is the cause. (but maybe just the result of the vibration?????????)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loose driveline/driveshaft bolts do cause a harmonic vibration and are commonly found on the M35a2 trucks(especially the short shaft between the trans and t-case).

Since he said it is a new vibration, after swapping the T-case, I am thinking Parking Brake drum.

Divemaster920

Banned
Runout on the Air-Shift .015
Runout on the Sprag .0025
Looks like they are going to get switched.
Thanks doghead...
Curtis

Divemaster920

Banned
I changed out the Brake Drum's and that did not fix the problem with the uuuuummmmmmmmmmm....uuuuummmmmmmm. But now I do not feel it in the e-brake. I can feel it in the High/Low range handle and not in the Transmission shifter. The air-shifter has also dropped into neutral 2 times. I am think that I have internal problems. So I will piddle with it a while and keep Murphy busy so you all can move some things travel or what ever.
Thanks for you advise.
Curtis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks