• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie - report on first axle seal, hub flip and wheel cylinder replacement

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, there are no pictures, so do not even try!

I finally got started on my first rear wheel. I can report the following:

- if you do not have the budd socket, the geared lug wrench is a great tool to get the wheels off

- the write-ups on this site about axle seal replacement and cranetruck's hub flip how-to are excellent. http://imageevent.com/cranetruck/m35dualstosinglesconversion

- I had a leaking wheel cylinder and leaking seals; the cleanup of backing plate, brake drum and hub was time consuming and nasty. Think twice about doing this if you do not have access to a pressure washer. I am certain that there will be no grass growing where I attacked the grime....

- the protective cage covering the wheel cylinder goes back on BEFORE the wheel cylinder is connected and tightened into place. Otherwise, you get to take it apart again. I know.

- it is possible to get the new brake shoes on without using spring pliers, but one part (a spring, a washer, a bolt) always falls of in the process and it can be frustrating to get both shoes on with the spring preconnected. Tip: have the spring preconnected, put one shoe on and secure top guide pin loosely from the back. Now put the pushrod that goes into the wheel cylinder ON THE BRAKE SHOE (a dab of grease holds it well) and guide the push rod into the wheel cylinder while sliding the brake shoe in place. I found that having the pushrod already in the wheel cylinder when mounting the second brake shoe did not allow me to get the second shoe on.

- when flipping the hub, you can Loctite the eight hex bolts in place OR replace the safety wire in a figure of eight fashion through the bolt heads. If you forget to do either one and begin the assembly, you get to lift the brake drum/hub assembly back off and secure the bolt heads. I know.

- put the inner hex nut on finger tight and then mount the wheel; it makes easier to get a feel for what you are doing to the bearings

- The preload on the wheel bearings generated by the inner hex nut is surprisingly gentle. Do not overtighten and do not forget to back off 1/16 to 1/4 turn, as per TM

- being in possession of a 3 in 8 point socket and new tabbed lock washers for the bearing nuts is a great life saving idea

- oh and....it will take a lot longer than you think!

Last edited:

BugEyeBear

Nice Summary!

You've probably helped the next "newbie" avoid some of your pitfalls!

Yes, that bearing preload is critical! Sounds like you got it right!
(you can verify that it isn't too tight by checking the hub temp after a good freeway drive with an Infrared Temp Gun. & too loose is checked by feeling for wheel play by rocking the tire/wheel assy.)

After doing my 1st wheel I instantly called Memphis & ordered 1/2 dozen spare star/lock-washers & 1/2 dozen spare bearing nuts. Now I'm covered for whatever I find inside the next one I pull apart!

& I find it ALWAYS takes longer than I plan!!
(as I get older I worry less about how long things take to accomplish, and just appreciate it when things sstill work! If you know what I mean!)

-Bear-

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks