• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC 21 is done! mostly

dougimes

Mostly done.... Took it for a test ride today. First one over a few miles. Went pretty well.

I have a few questions for anyone that has experience.

- oil press at operating temp is 10-15 at idle and 35-40 at speed. is this normal?

- timing is set for 2 deg atdc at idle. I am getting a little pinging at modest load at 40mph. Pinging or tapping..... I did not rebuild the engine, but did check compression, and dropped the pan. Nothing amiss. Any ideas about the pinging?

- what is the path of oil thru the filter? I have a t-handle (civilian I think) type that takes a sock type filter. It looks like the oil comes up the tube to the middle of the filter and passes out the top.

It fits really tight in the canister. Dumbest filter concept I ever saw. How does it work?

Thanks for the input.

Attachments

badgmc56

10 lbs of oil pressure for every 1000 rpms is fine. The pinging is probably the lack of lead in the fuel. You can also play around with the timing until the pinging goes away just so long it does not affect the performance. Great looking truck by the way! Nice work.

WarrenD

Very nice looking truck, you did a great job!
Oil pressure sounds ok, as Badgmc has said. Pinging (or knock) is usually from too hot combustion. Lead as a fuel additive was used to cool combustion temps, so that would be one way, another is to use higher octane gas. It might be worth a try before messing with the timing. Timing can help, but personally I dislike changing the timing from the recommended settings by more than 2 degrees either way.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That looks great! We'd love to see more pics!

On the pinging, I'd throw a timing light on it and see where the timing is at. I don't know what the TM calls for on that thing, but a safe bet is 0° static as a baseline. If the timing is right, try better gas.

Oil pressure sounds reasonable.

Bill W

The 230 in my WC-21 and my M-37 ran best at 2°BTDC ( sea level)
Oil from the the gallery comes in to the side of the canister then through the element then thrugh the little metering hole in the center tube then out the bottom of the canister then returns to the pan via the oil pressure relief valve
Heres a cutaway of the 230 engine and you can see how its plumbed

Attachments

Last edited:

dougimes

That diagram of the engine helps, thanks. Oil come in above and flows top to bottom and from center out. Sock filter still seems kind of "quaint" same thing woud be accomplished by stuffing the housing full of rags.

If the engine noise isn't pre-detonation, what else might it be? Wrist pins, valves?

Bill W

"Oil come in above and flows top to bottom and from center out"

Thats not what I said and not whats shown in diagram., Lets try it this way, Unfiltered oil goes from outside of the canister( hose from HP oil galley on the side of the block to the "side" of filter housing ) to the inside of canister through the element, the now filtered oil goes through the metering hole in the center tube and then out the bottom back to the oil pan via the PR valve. These engines have a "Bypass" filter which mean none of the oil gets filtered before it goes to the bearings like our modern "Fullflow" oil system engines do. The Bypass filter taps off the main HP oil galley then filters the oil and then returns it to the oil pan

Last edited:

dougimes

engine is Krylon smoke gray, avail in quart and rattle can.
truck is Gillespie 33070
numbers are rustoleum flat white or American accents (hobby lobby) satin blue

black is semigloss rattle can,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks