• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

COOL! I found a really goood mix for WVO fuel

DrFoster

Here's my formula. Didn't need ANY heating at all to run GREAT!

25 Gal WVO
to
1 Gal EDIT: Naptha

Filter and let sit for a day or two.

Thined the WVO right out, and ran like a champ. Straight to the engine, no diesel at all in the system for the test. (drained filters and tank and ran lines dry before filling w/ WVO, then we primed the system on the veggie oil, and fired it up). Took a few cranks to prime the injectors, but all in all it started up the next day (after that cold night we had last week in the teens).

Test car was a little 4-banger VW TDI.

I'm impressed. More to come, if I can find a deuce to try it on.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey DOC,
I've got a guy who owns two resturants and uses about 200 gallons of WVO a week. I talked to the manager of one store and he said we could have it. One of the owners is on vacation and I missed the other by about ten minutes. But even the assistant manager agrees that they have to pay someone to come get it and thought we could get it for free.

So, now I've got to get with Randy to pick up that aluminum gas tank and then we can consider set up. And I like your idea. I want to produce plain bio diesel. So I don't have to heat it to use it.

Wife said OK for Sat morning. Her plane doesn't come in until 1 pm so I will have to go kick everyone out by about noon. But that could give us three hours or so. Maybe you, Randy and Bob could come over about 9 am. I'll furnish the donuts and coffee? Beer and BAGELS? Whatever.

Contact me. YOU TOO RANDY. Hey BOB (Trango), YOU ARE WELCOME also! As is anyone else. jim

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WVO = waste vegetable oil

OR the oil that has been used by a resturant to fry things in. The two places I'm going to are a BBQ resturant. They fry fish, french fries and hush puppies in theirs and that's it. SO it's fairly clean as most WVO goes. Or at least that's the hope.

We will see.

DrFoster

I'll tell you one thing - we made two batches. One was from a fast food joint and the other was from a regular resturant.

You can certainly tell from the exhaust where the fuel came from! French Fries on one batch and some sort of other stuff with the other place.

DrFoster

Jim, I hate to say it... but TOLD YA SO... I knew from Andrea that they paid the haulers to take it, so we wouldn't have much problem getting it. The problem is the filtering. We used a coffee filter setup inside of a 4" PVC pipe with a 6" drain pipe connection to hold the filter elements. I'm going to look into this vacuum filter I saw that wasn't HEPA, so it would pass fluids. I'll talk to you more later.

200 a week? Holy SHI+ man! That's enough for us both to use the deuce as a daily driver.. IF I ever find one.. lol

DrFoster

Oh - and for a three-poster in a row...

We found an electric fuel pump that seemed to "suck" well enough to move the oil ok. I think I'll get one of those high-flow jobbers if I can find a filtering media that can handle it.

area52

The WVO and spirits will not separate back to two different liquids right?

Where did you get the white spirits?

If I had my deuce I would drive it up there to be the guinea pig!!

DrFoster

Well, I read it. There's not much considering it was started in 2002.

Good to know my friend isn't insane. Somebody has already found this to work too.

I questioned the sitting too, but it seemed to work either way. One good thing about the wait time is that the funky bits missed during filtering were sent to the bottom if you had any "oops" occurances during the filtering.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
fuel mixtures

Sorry guys, but it was difficult for me to imagine that adding only 3% paint thinner could effectively lower the viscosity of WVO/SVO.
So I made some preliminary flow viscosity measurements for different fuel mixtures at room temperature (20ºC / 68ºF).
(used method: Ford cup Nr. 4)
Here are some numbers for comparison:

Diesel (#2 or similar) 11 seconds
70% diesel + 30% biodiesel 11”
Sun flower oil (salad oil, SVO)18”
97% SVO / 3% thinner 18”
90% SVO / 10% thinner 17”
80% SVO / 20% thinner 13”
75% SVO / 25%(!!) thinner 12”
WVO n/a

This is just to have an idea of what thinner does with salad oil, regarding flow viscosity. It would be interesting to confirm if 3% added to sunflower oil or soybean oil (my case) will be noticed at ”cold” start and under load to gain some power (????)
I also need to try the same with low octane gasoline or even better, ether, maybe it does wonder!
Note: thinner mixes perfectly with VO, only higher percentages produced a kind of stable foam after shaking, something to keep in mind if it ever reaches the IP. I know that micro bubbles in any fuel can be the cause for severe damage to pump an injectors due to cavitation.
Anyways I doubt that anybody would burn a 3:1 mixture!

Gerhard

DrFoster

Good data.

All I know is it works. I was VERY suprised. I'll post up more as I get more involved with this because I know the three or four local guys here are seriously getting into it.

Foaming, not sure. Maybe we can find an anti-foam agent, but I'm looking for a simple and cheap alternative without having to build a darn refinery in my garage... Imagine the EPA finding that... lol

area52

I just spend some considerable time over at:http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee

looking up the WVO/SVO blend information.

There is a lot of good info about "blending" veggie oil and 87 octane unleaded gas with some octane booster/diesel additive. There are some good viscosity tests over there under the FAQ links. Very interesting!!

I think if I ever get my deuce here, this is something I am gonna consider.

DrFoster

Ok, I should post our "rules" for this mix -

1. As inexpensive as possible
2. Least amount of "fiddling"
3. No refining or complicated processes
4. No huge "mods" to our trucks required, no diesel startup or stops
5. Glow-plug powered heater system is ok (only runs at 160 degrees, so it probably wont wear out) with a recirculate if needed.
6. Insulated tank is ok

When I was in school over in the UK, fuel was over 1 Quid a liter (about $138.50 to fill a regular 21 gallon tank) They are always a marker for our future fuel prices to come, from what I've seen in the past 15 years or so. I'm not paying that much for my fuel, and there needs to be a better way. I'm going after a KISS principal.

area52

So how long did you filter the WVO for? What sort of filter - 5 micron? Hot or cold filter?

I think once the "formula" is proven to work, this is definitely the way to go.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the VW have a IP or is it a CRD? Where can you by the solvent at? Is it expensive? When you mix it with the VO does it dissolve the fats? Or do they seperate? Is it harder to start in the colder weather up there? Is there any noticable difference in power/milage?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks