• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

grounding a 200 gallon fuel tank?

croftonaviation

I know there are other forums this might fit in but here it is. I have a 200 gallon above ground tank I plan on keeping fuel in for my deuce (when I get my euc back). I have it on a concrete pad it is an all metal tank. do I need to ground it? I have the stuff to do it just need to know if I should. Thanks

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you will be mixing fuels like deisel, gas, etc, I would. If it is just straight diesel, I don't see a need. It is only explosive in an atomized state and a very hot ign source.

5ton4ever

It is a good Idea to ground the tank even with diesel fuel. The flash point is above 140 degrees, but on a hot day there can be fumes in the tank that can be ignited by static electricity. you can generate static electricity by putting ANY liquid through a hose and letting it flow, even water. THe static can be discharged at the nozzle end, and ther is also fumes in the fuel tank, and you don't want to ignite that! So its cheap insurance for a ground rod, a piece of wire, and two clamps. just make sure the ground rod is fairly deep.:smile:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks