• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv leak at fuel filter

gmjunky87

I had a hell of a time today getting my m1008 started, it was parked up hill and i noticed a small drip at the bottom left hand corner of the fuel filter (if your looking straight at it) it worried me because it was leaking right on the exhaust manifold.

needless to say i had to charge the batteries twice before it started, i drifted the truck onto the level, cracked the fuel filler cap and alot of air came out, then cracked what looked like a bleeder screw on the top of the fuel filter that was about the size of a quarter and bubbles came out then it shot fuel out the side, cranked it, it sputtered but eventually cranked over, but the leak at the fuel filter box got worse, if someone can point me to a thread that deals with that i would be greatful! :-D I just got this truck so i'm just figuring out things here and there. i read through the intro and found alot of helpful info! awesome!

also, how can you charge the batteries without having to unhook a terminal and do one at a time? thanks!

i'm plannin on putting an electric fuel pump in, also trying to figure out how to wire in leads that enable me to charge both batteries at the same time.

also the truck has 71k on it but the motor runs super smooth and once you get it started shut if off, it starts immediately, there are alot of new replacement parts under the hood, looks like it was well kept!

Last edited:

Cucvnut

this has been an issue lately sounds like u need to change your filter housing to stop the leak. i have the same problem. ill be getting a new housing soon. they have them on ebay

Blazerfan

I had the same problem with my blazer, i looked on line and found a stanadyne dealer in Dallas Texas, took my balzer there and they replaced the whole fuel filter system with an new system. the new one has a primer pump on it as well as a see thru bowl on the bottom of the filter and water drain on the bottom. cost around 300 dollars installed...well worth the money. problem solved!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same problem with my blazer, i looked on line and found a stanadyne dealer in Dallas Texas, took my balzer there and they replaced the whole fuel filter system with an new system. the new one has a primer pump on it as well as a see thru bowl on the bottom of the filter and water drain on the bottom. cost around 300 dollars installed...well worth the money. problem solved!

Please post photos and any model numbers of the new set up.

gmjunky87

my old cucv truck which i only had for a few months before i regretfully had to sell it had a cool system on it, they guy did all kinds of custom stuff to it, what he did was mount a spin on fuel filter and water separator, put an electric fuel pump on, mounted an outdoor switch for the pump, so when you changed the filter and separator, you could bleed them right there, the mounting had bleeders at the top, pretty cool set up, if i can find a pic i'll post it, i totally forgot about it, for now though i think i'll just replace the filter housing i guess. i just wanna get it up and running and inspection ready, everything else on the truck is tip top, even looks like new glow plugs and wires, the IP not sure but it looks fairly new

gmjunky87

that guy also put a banks turbo on it, moved the batteries under the bed, hooked up a trickle charger/block heater, made is own hitch and rear lift, it was an awesome truck, i about cried when i had to sell it:roll:

gmjunky87

awesome, i'll have to check that out, i was thinking about the setup that was on my old cucv truck maybe try to replicate that, have a filter and a fuel separator

Ken_86gt

To charge the batteries you do not have to disconnect them. Just put the charger across the battery as you would any car, except that you have two of them.

Also I have added a fuel filter that looks just like the one pictured above except that it has the longer "60" filter on it and a fuel heater. Look on Ebay, mine was about $50 shipped. Just watch out for the fuel fittings as some are "special" and will cost more than they should.

1stDeuce

Ditto on the battery charging... no need to disconnect. just connect the charger to each battery individually. If you want to charge both at the same time, you either need two chargers, or you need a 24v charger.
C

Wolf.Dose

Fuel filter problems are a standard issue for the zink based die cast mount is getting old and worn by corrosion. Replace by any mdern fuel filter system and the problem is done. We do that since 1992 if needed.
Wolf

niferous

Would a fuel filter assembly out of a 2002 Dodge diesel work? My brother bought a new one from the dealership because his was leaking and then a week later someone pulled out in front of him and he avoided them but hit a tree while pulling a trailer :evil:.

Anyway mine is not leaking but the Dodge filters are easy to change and I can get like 12 filters for $50. It just has two bolts that bolted it to the blocks. Also the top just unscrews and then you remove the filter and the diesel stays in the filter housing.

azpatriot

My filter is leaking too. It was replaced at 2700 miles and the vehicle now has 7500miles on it. Very hard starting unless warm from running and I live in Phx! Thought it was the overflow tube but appears to be the filter assy itself. Design must really suck for everyone to be having issues with it.

motormayhem

Would a fuel filter assembly out of a 2002 Dodge diesel work? My brother bought a new one from the dealership because his was leaking and then a week later someone pulled out in front of him and he avoided them but hit a tree while pulling a trailer :evil:.

Anyway mine is not leaking but the Dodge filters are easy to change and I can get like 12 filters for $50. It just has two bolts that bolted it to the blocks. Also the top just unscrews and then you remove the filter and the diesel stays in the filter housing.
Any system can be made to work.

motormayhem

My filter is leaking too. It was replaced at 2700 miles and the vehicle now has 7500miles on it. Very hard starting unless warm from running and I live in Phx! Thought it was the overflow tube but appears to be the filter assy itself. Design must really suck for everyone to be having issues with it.
Hey mine is leaking as well! Seems like all the cucv's decided to support the filter industry this fall. Built myself a setup last saturday and it is 200% better than stock. Bigger filter, more flow, 2 micron filter, and uses a turbine style inlet to to help act like a centrifuge and get the big crap to settle in the sediment bowl/water separator to keep the filter fresh. now I can blow black smoke on accel. I got my filter setup for 160 at filter products down here in tucson. A little pricey but defiantly well designed and lifetime warranty. I think it is rated for 60gph which I know is WAY more than I would ever burn, but no problems with flow and it can have a heater and water sensor that I can wire into the old harness with a few crimpings.

I see you live in near phoenix. We should meet up sometime. there doesn't seem to be any other mv members here in Tucson.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks