• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best way to tow a M35A2

dropaduece

Dear Fellow Members,

I will need to bring a few M35A2's home in the next couple of months and want to know the best way to do so.

I have never towed one before. I am trying to figure out what kind of trailer I should purchase. I dont want to spend too much money yet I want to be safe.

I plan on doing this more often so I dont mind the investment of the trailer.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Seth

Blood_of_Tyrants

Trailer should support at lest 14,000 lbs. I would not use anything smaller than a 1 ton dually to pull it with. You might consider investing in a tow bar and driving one truck while towing another.

Westech

CPL
going to need at least a 3/4 ton truck. A 1 ton would be best. Going to need a goose neck trailer with 3 single tire axles or 2 dual tire axles. 14K pound trailer but 20K would be better. I have towed/trailered a couple deuces and 5 tons with my 2004 GMC 2500 HD Diesel and it does ok but I would not want to tow too much more. 14-20K is a lot for a light duty pick up.

dropaduece

Thanks Guys. I was thinking about taking one of my old M35's and removing the bed and installing a 5th wheel and going with a goosneck style trailer. Do you think that would be okay.

I have heard guys talking about using one M35 to tow another with a tow bar. Is that safe, does the vehicle being pulled track well or is it all over the road.

Seth

broman78

I think tow bar would be the easiest for the issue with tracking just chain or tie the steering wheel straight and you shouldn't have a problem. Would probably be a little easier than your first alternative.

Westech

CPL
They do ok. I like to tow my deuce with my 5 ton. But deuce on deuce works good too. with a trailer being towed by a deuce and a deuce on that back should really be no different then tow baring it. Only thing with a trailer is (and its good) you don't have to worry about anything braking or whatever. Just get it on and strap it in and go.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Thanks Guys. I was thinking about taking one of my old M35's and removing the bed and installing a 5th wheel and going with a goosneck style trailer. Do you think that would be okay.

I have heard guys talking about using one M35 to tow another with a tow bar. Is that safe, does the vehicle being pulled track well or is it all over the road.

Seth
I would buy an M818 truck/tractor instead if you are going to pull a lot of them because the multifuel in a deuce is a DOG. Only 134 hp and 315 ft/lbs of torque. The Cummins in the 5 ton is much better for towing.

P.S. Tie off the steering wheel in the towed deuce because they don't want to track well.

Kjb2007

Banned
YOU DO NOT lock the steering when when you are towbaring the truck. if you lock the wheel you will HAVE issues. It will track itself straight if both fronts are aired up and you use the proper TOW BAR setup. only time it will track like a PIA is if you are on loose gravel. but then you gotta know how to do it.

JAYHAWK 1962

Easiest way to get a deuce home?? Have somebody else do it!! Having recently done this, a deuce and tow bar worked magnificiently for truck #1 total distance only about 35 miles did not tie steering wheel tracked/towed like a dream . Truck #2 transmission removed by govt went smoothly for about 6 miles then after turning one of the same corners on the same route as truck #1 truck tires jacknifed and would not tow any more wheels just wanted to jacknife no matter what. Ended up having to call the big booys wrecker to haul it out 250$ later and it was delivered. I think a large gooseneck trailer would be the best. I 1 ton pickup at minimum for any distance hauling. You just never know if the trucks are in running condition or what they will need to get them that way. I think it is much safer and easier. For me anyway. I like to fully inspect my vehicles before taking my chances and ruining something expensive like the engine. Enjoy

jfnemt1ff1

I vote for the tow bar, and I dont think it is a good idea to tie the steering wheel. All the ones that I towed it will track just fine. When I moved 1100 miles I tow bared my gama goat and those wont return to center while driving but still towed fine just have to try not to make very tight turns.
John

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some trucks tow well and some don't. Don't know why other than maybe the tow-in is off or something. If you happen to hook onto a truck that won't track you can tie off the wheel to get home. It's best not to tie off the wheel but sometimes you have to. It's hard on the front tires when you tie it off.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some trucks tow well and some don't. Don't know why other than maybe the tow-in is off or something. If you happen to hook onto a truck that won't track you can tie off the wheel to get home. It's best not to tie off the wheel but sometimes you have to. It's hard on the front tires when you tie it off.
:ditto::ditto::ditto:

kochevnik

Hey Recovery - can you explain how you did this with the M275 you used to have ?

Specifically,

1) How did you get the front of the towed Deuce up on the back of the tractor
2) What did you use to attach the Deuce to the 5th wheel
3) How well did this tow ?

Many thanks, I'm dying to know how you did this and how it compares to other tow methods.

Attachments

crazyplowboy

Hey Recovery - can you explain how you did this with the M275 you used to have ?

Specifically,

1) How did you get the front of the towed Deuce up on the back of the tractor
2) What did you use to attach the Deuce to the 5th wheel
3) How well did this tow ?

Many thanks, I'm dying to know how you did this and how it compares to other tow methods.
4) What did the baby of the two pictured trucks look like :mrgreen:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It tows great and you can back it anywhere. I always removed the shafts out of the aft axle and when I towed the M108 with all the rear tires on the ground, I removed all 4 shafts. As far as loading, always used some type of machine but twice I've unloaded it by backing it off on ramps or blocks.

area52

I personally think the SAFEST way to tow a deuce is with a trailer capable of holding it ( like some else said, at least 14,000 lbs) and with at least one axle with an electric brake with a brake controller. The truck should be also rated to pull the load.

Now with that being said, I know alot of people pull deuces with deuces safely but just think about pulling a 13,000lb truck with another 13,000lb truck and no brakes on the rear unless you hook up something to actuate the rear brakes.

kochevnik

Thanks for the info - I also found this pretty interesting Youtube video of how they deck load the big rigs - including each step in the process. Always wondered how that was done.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i_q2ZKBRmo[/media]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks