• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3...

alfred10

How many MPG do these get at about 55Mph?

What is the top speed?

Why did they only make 6000 of them?

What type of fuel do they take?

Do you need a CDL to drive one?
I am thinking about getting one. They seem like the ultimate BOV. What kind of money will I spend on a nice one? Are they more or less money to maintain than the A2? They seem like they are good to go right out of the box. Where can I get a camper back for it?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All these questions have been asked and answered at length repeatedly. Go use the search function, and you get a ton of info about it all.

Snarky

How many MPG do these get at about 55Mph?
About 8-10.

What is the top speed?
About 55-60.

Because you have to cut up 3 A2 to make 2 A3s, buy a CAT engine, and allison transmission and install a unreliable CTIS setup.

What type of fuel do they take?
Diesel only.

No.

I am thinking about getting one. They seem like the ultimate BOV. What kind of money will I spend on a nice one?
3000-15000$. Depending where you get it and what quality.

Are they more or less money to maintain than the A2?
More, parts for the CAT cost more, and god help you if you have a tranny problem. Barring parts failures the NORMAL cost is similar.

They seem like they are good to go right out of the box. Where can I get a camper back for it?
Any place you can get one that fits. A lot of people install radio boxs. You can install a slide in, or an M109 bed, or custom build.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can locate a $3K M35A3 for me that is worth anything, please PM me. I will buy a few at that price if they are in running condition and I have friends (many of whom are on this list) who would want one or two also. I saw a few go in the $4,500-5,250 range a while ago, but most will bring $6-10K (or more). Those prices are BEFORE the bidder's fee, tax and shipping. The guys who got theirs for around $5K stole their trucks. Most will go higher. I sold one for $9K recently, which was less than I had in it after I got it from GL. The GL route is not always the best method. Factor in the bidder's fee, tax and shipping, and the price gets up there pretty quickly. Parts for these trucks...the A3 specific parts, that is...are not cheap and are hard to find. Fortunately, I don't think many guys have had to replace too many of the A3 specific parts, or else they (me included) would not want one!

A word on the speed... At 50 MPH, you are doing about 2,500 RPM. That is getting up there. I realize the manual and the data plate on the motor say you can run it up to 2,800, but I would not do it for any length of time if I wanted to keep the truck. At 60 MPH, I bet that motor is absolutely screaming. I believe the manual and everywhere else I have seen says that 57 MPH is top speed, although I never did that in my old truck. I am sure it would have done it, but I don't max out my trucks.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think they only made 6000 cuz they are so ugly. CDL depends on where you live, who you talk to and what day of the week it is. Most say NO, but double check for YOUR situation yourself.

Snarky

If you can locate a $3K M35A3 for me that is worth anything, please PM me.
True. If you get a 3k$ A3 it'll likely be a pile of rust with a hole in the engine. You can buy them day and night for 15k on epay, not recommended though.

A word on the speed... At 50 MPH, you are doing about 2,500 RPM. That is getting up there. I realize the manual and the data plate on the motor say you can run it up to 2,800, but I would not do it for any length of time if I wanted to keep the truck. At 60 MPH, I bet that motor is absolutely screaming. I believe the manual and everywhere else I have seen says that 57 MPH is top speed, although I never did that in my old truck. I am sure it would have done it, but I don't max out my trucks.
He asked about the top speed, not the cruising speed. The truck will do 60, top speed. The engine isn't going to be happy about it, but with those singles it'll do it. You may need a new engine/transmission afterwards.

Cruising speed is about 50ish.

I think they only made 6000 cuz they are so ugly. CDL depends on where you live, who you talk to and what day of the week it is. Most say NO, but double check for YOUR situation yourself.
You DO need a CDL in the Republik of Californistan; Due to the 3 axles. MOST states require CDLs for vehicles over 26000 or with air brakes, classes which the A3 doesn't fall into.

Last edited:

alfred10

It looks like the A2 would be a better bugout vehicle. I am looking for a vehicle to drive in the snow and bug out in. If the A3 is the same top speed the A2's simple features and multi fuel capability are more what I am looking for. I just figured the A3 would be faster and safer for me to drive to work in the snow and ice..

Snarky

It looks like the A2 would be a better bugout vehicle. I am looking for a vehicle to drive in the snow and bug out in. If the A3 is the same top speed the A2's simple features and multi fuel capability are more what I am looking for. I just figured the A3 would be faster and safer for me to drive to work in the snow and ice..
Nope... The A3 is the same truck with no shifting, and an engine less likely to throw a rod through the side of it.

The multifuel engines are relatively cheap compared to the CATs. 99% percent of the time if they provide you with a window to the oil pan, it was due to abuse or a lack of PM, that last 1% when they randomly blow a rod through the side is just bad luck.

The axles are all the same, and I think the drive shafts are too. If you over rev the cat and go faster than you're supposed to, it's less likely that it's going to blow a rod through the side of it, or that the crank shaft will break, but it's still not good for the engine or drive train.

ClarkeF

Nope... The A3 is the same truck with no shifting, and an engine less likely to throw a rod through the side of it.
Partially correct.

The A3 is (mostly) the same truck, but with a 4 speed non-overdrive transmission. The A2 will be happier at highway speeds than the A3. A3 specific parts are harder to find and more expensive as they are much rarer (5400 A3's vs 100,000's of A2's and earlier).

Engine might be tougher - I have no data, but if your looking for a Bug Out truck, you don't want an A3, you want a A2. The money you save will go a long way towards parts, spares, and supplies. You could even single out the A2 and still come out ahead over an A3. Oh yea, and a A2 that's 25 years old or better will be easier and cheaper to insure.

I just won an A3 on GL - and I'm wondering if I'll even be able to insure a non-antique/classic military truck.. I know that I've paid a lot more than I would for an A2, and I know that I'll have a harder time finding the parts for it.

Cheers,

Clarke

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The parts issue is a big one. Sure, you can get internal parts for the engine or the trans from Allison or Cat but there are some parts that are A3 specific. I know Monkeyboyarmy's A3 had the trans dipstick missing when he got it. He called all of the major parts suppliers and the only answer he got was "good luck". Don't know if he ever found one or had to fab one up from scratch. It's little things like that that can't hardly be found anywhere.

powerhouseduece

Good memory- rated top speed is 56 mph. Much more comfortable at 45 mph.

I agree, I was lucky to drive a A3 to Aberdeen and have to say that they are very happy at 45 mph. I guess it jst me but I dont like to push a truck thats old enough to be my dad. Let alone a truck that is worth more then the one I drive to work everyday.

Around town they are awesome, as soon as you stand on the skinny pedel they are up and moving. The one I drove it would pull hard as all hell once it hit 3rd gear.

Just my $0.02.. just cause its rated to go 56mph dont mean you have to do it. If you just want a truck to ride around town, a A3 is sweet!

alfred10

Bug out= Getting myself and my friends out of a natural diaster or other problem such as new orleans or watts riots before it grows to the high point. I figure if something happened I could drive one of these up in the woods and live out of it for a week or so if need be. I am also looking for a vehicle that I can drive in the snow and for fun. I think it would be more fun owning this as a second vehicle instead of a F250... Not a daily driver just something to mainly use in blizzards to get around

yeager1

just something to mainly use in blizzards to get around
Plan on getting radial tires, MUCH better in the snow, stock tires are not good for ice. The narrower radials, like 11-20's will fit on stock rims and can be run as singles. Good surplus ones can be found for $150-200 x6.

alfred10

How many gallons do the A2 and A3 tanks hold? How many miles can you get on a tank of gas?

Could I drive this really far if I had to like from Florida to Maine? What is the maximum cruising speed without hurting anything? Where can I find new tires for these? Would the A3 run better in the snow than the A2?

ClarkeF

Consider is about 8MPG x 50 Gallons = 400 miles. You could add a tank to the bed and gravity feed the main tank if needed.

As others said, top speed at redline is 56MPH. 45 constantly or 50-55 for short periods is fine. There are lots of choices for new tires that fit the rims - even some surplus choices. Any big-rig shop will be able to set you up with tires, although if you want an aggressive tread pattern they might need to order them.

The advantage of the A3 over the A2 in snow is the single tires, the tread pattern (not the NDT's), the ability of the CTIS to air up and air down tires to change the footprint based on surface conditions, and an automatic transmission.

Put good singles on a A2 and with more driver effort it's 95% that of an A3 - it's just going to require more care in being smooth as you shift and work the clutch. A3's all come with in-cab heaters and better defrosters. Not all A2's have heaters.

Options exist to reduce the RPM's and get better highway speeds exist - but they are all more expensive. The OD transmission in the A2's is nice!

Monkeyboyarmy

Ty.I found another dipstick and cut it down to length.Didn't help much as I had to pull the trans anyway.What a job that was......had to drop the front of the trans almost down to the ground before the rear would drop out.Took about a week of chains,ropes,pulleys and blocks to get it out.The forward clutch was burned out of it.Everything else was like new.Clutches and a complete re-seal kit was $97.I am in the process of putting it back together.I will definitely install a larger breather tube so this doesn't happen again.Just broke the wheels down yesterday to change the o-rings.Should be driving just in time to put it away for winter :-x.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks