• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine replacement.

Brock Steel

Wifes truck engine is making a funny noise, also the fuel compensator leaked into the block. We were driving into town when i heard it and saw the oil pressure real low. Pulled over and check oil and found it very full and very clean. Smelled like diesel. Anyway I'm looking to replace it and was of 2 ideas.

1 replace it with another engine of the same type which brings me to my first question. What brand engine is the best design? White, Continental, etc?

Question 2, re power with a different engine? What type and with the least amount of mods needed that will work with the trans and will bolt strait in engine bay.

Any Ideas? Brock.

mudguppy

1. i'm nowhere near an expert on the original stuff, buy my understanding is that all the ldt-465's are pretty much the same as far as overall design and reliability, regardless of manufacturer. the only thing you might want to get picky about is getting a 'TD' (thick deck) block - seems to be a later and more robust design.

2. easiest and best fit 'different' engine would be a cummins 6bt. found in lots of smaller medium duty trucks and buses. get the SAE (#3?) engine adapter and flywheel and it will bolt to your stock spicer. the commercial motors use a single front motor mount extremely similar to the deuce and other commercial setups. likely, all you'd have to do is relocate the front motor mount crossmember a bit.

if you use the 5.9, be careful - about the lowest torque configuration you're going to find is ~440lb-ft, nearly 100lb-ft over what the spicer trans is rated for (and ~520lb-ft in commercial apps). if the transmission doesn't blow up the first time you get in a bind, it probably won't live too long.

other engines will fit, such as a detroit 6-53 (6-71?), detroit 8.2, cummins 6ct (8.3), dt360, cat 3116/3126, and i think smaller V's such as the cat 3208 and 6v53. compared to the small cummins, you'll just gain a bunch more weight and grenade your spicer that much faster.

Last edited:

Brock Steel

Thanks. I'm looking at all options and reliability issues. The trans is a #3. My trouble is no real work space. Sold my house and 5 car work shop when prices were high and down sized to a small 2 bed 2 bath and a very small 2 car garage So I need less mods more bolt in stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks