• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

One for the books

WPNS421

Tuesday we sold a jeep to a first time MV owner. To make sure he would be happy, we check it over, changed the oil, new top and the complete manuals. The jeep ran like a top. The next day the guy shows up in the yard and tells us the jeep stalls, no power, won't start, white smoke is coming out of the exhaust, something is leaking on the side of the engine etc...
Panic time, we checked the jeep, no leaks, starts, lots of power, no smoke or leaks. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM????
ANSWER: very little gas in the tank, we had told him to fill it, he put 10 liters oh sorry 2 gallons in a tank that holds 30 gal ran the jeep out of gas.
That was 2 days ago, the jeep is still in the yard.
The moral of the story sell the MV for $40.00 more and put gas in the vehicle.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been there. That's why I HATE selling vehicles to someone. Seems like there is an implied extended warranty/return period.

WPNS421

Yea, thats the way we understand it. Being a newbie we took the time to explain the jeep, we gave him a paper copy of the entire maintenace manual, spare filters etc. As I get older I really lose patience with people like this, I called him after I checked the jeep and told him exactly what the problem was and he said" yea your son told me not to trust the gas gauge and the I should fuel the vehicle" It's hard to say "don't let the gate hit you on the a-s on the way out" because when he comes back he is looking to buying one of my deuces. Money talks.

Scarecrow1

I never ran out of gas and had that happen .But I did blow a head gasket twice and it sounds alot like what is going on with the jeep . Something smells fishy all the way from where Im sitting :evil:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of these vehicles are 30+ years old. You can really go over the vehicle and a buyer still can have problems shortly afer they buy it. The fact is that old stuff can break at any time. Sure, places like Memphis Equipment offer warranties but the cost is figured into the high price they ask for them. I sell a few trucks and will help somebody out if the truck breaks down on the way home or something but I don't offer warranties. I've been asked if I do from potential buyers they will sometimes say " well Memphis Equipment (or some other big dealer) does" and I will tell them if they pay me the same price as Memphis ask for their trucks I'd be glad to.

dirtyfingernails

I have a few of those stories too. I hate selling vehicles. Had one show back up in my yard too. Come on. They are 30 to 40 years old for crying out loud. That's why I tell them to get a mechanic to check it out. If you want a warranty go buy new!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks