• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter motor "bracket"

Sgt Hulka

Howdy. I have seen a few references to the importance of the starter motor "bracket." I have two M1009s, one converted to 12v, and have seen no evidence of a bracket on either one. I'm in the process of replacing the starter motor and want to get it right. What do these brackets look like? How and where do they attach and how can I get one? Many thanks all!!!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are important! Attach to the front of the started and the engine block.
Bracket on the left is for the gear reduction starters, the bracket on the right is for the stock starter. Both are OEM GM parts.

acesneights1

Not having them usually results in either broken starter bolts or cracked block where starter bolts. Get them on ASAP. In fact my recommendation to people who find them missing is to replace the starter bolts as well since they could be stressed. Trust me , getting broken ones out is no fun.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bracket for the original starter is the same as a civi 6.2L (83-86) and the bracket for the gear reduction starter is a #N23502557. Any GM dealer can order them for you.

bkwudzhom

Just had to get bolts and bracket at the local dealership--less than $10 for all three. Cheap Ins.

Wile E. Coyote

Just adding to the chorus here, but...don't run very long without that bracket for all the reasons others have said. If that bracket is loose or missing then all the strain is left to the two main starter bolts to deal with and God help you if one of them is loose because one will snap off flush with the block and leave you with a very unpleasant weekend chore. Replace both bolts if that happens too - not just the one - as the other will be stressed to the breaking point without you even realizing.

(Usually the broken end comes out fairly easily providing the previous mech didn't use loctite on the thing. What I usually do is take an old starter bolt, grind the end into sort of a chisel shape, reinsert it in the hole, then try apply pressure and wind it out slowly. It will *usually* pick up the break-line on the bolt remnant trapped in the block and slowly wind it out. Usually. Failing that, something from Snap-On called a reverse-twist drillbit works well too...though drilling through Grade 8 bolt remnants without slipping into the surrounding casting is not a task for the faint-hearted.)

acesneights1

Ahhh Another man who knows of the Snap on reverse bits.. Saved my a$$. I would like to reitierate that my belief is if you have been running without a rear bracket, change the starter bolts anyway. No telling how close to breaking they could be. Cheap insurance IMHO. Getting a brkon bolt out isn't that bad...replacing an engine block cause the ear shnapped off is...:(

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't stress how important this bracket is! My 95 6.5TD is sitting in the back with a busted block. The prevouse owner didn't bother remounting the bracket, after a starter replacement. When it goes it's quick! With no warning! It's a shame to loose such a good running engine over a simple little bracket.

acesneights1

I can't stress how important this bracket is! My 95 6.5TD is sitting in the back with a busted block. The prevouse owner didn't bother remounting the bracket, after a starter replacement. When it goes it's quick! With no warning! It's a shame to loose such a good running engine over a simple little bracket.
well....there is a way to sorta fix that...If the block is broken anyway what you can try..and again this is only if the block is broken and no other way...put the starter in with the one good bolt and the rear support and have a welder mig the nose of the starter to the trans TCC cover. I realize this presents a probelm when you have to pull the starter or tranny but how often does that happen and right now you got nothin....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks