• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finished the great headlight flip

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I brought my M109 (now M35ish) deuce home, I didn't like the headlights in the lower position. I knew I would be getting a winch someday (and I did) so on one of the hottest days of the year in July I flipped them. It was a simple matter of removing 6 nuts on each side, flipping the whole assembly and remounting (you need to remove the grill too). The black out light had to be spun 180 degrees and some of the broken rubber mounts had to be replaced, but I got it done.

I should have rotated the headlights and their buckets 180 degrees too, but it was hot out. I adjusted them the best I could but they weren't right. And they looked stupid up close. To rotate them you have to undo the 6 mounting bolts for the whole plate so you can have access to the nuts on the 8 machine screws holding the headlight bucket in place. Of course they were rusty and 4 had to be cut off so I went to my local Ace hardware for new hardware.

I always purchase hardware by the box if I can and keep the extra for next time. After locating the right stuff I noticed the "Made In CHINA" printing on the side of the box. Knowing that the only hardware store that sells quality 100% USA stuff was 25 miles away in Friday traffic and NOT in my local community I had a tough time deciding on what to do.

SHould I support my local Ace (which brings in tax dollars for our very new town - incorp July 2008) and get the truck back together quickly or do I take money out of my town and support BP/ACRO's bottom line by burning the fuel needed to go the extra 50 miles in Friday traffic?

I won't tell you what I did, but I did the right thing. The truck is back together the way it should have been done in the 1st place.

Happy Friday! :)

Oh yes - pics............

It looks just like the pic in my avatar, but when you get up close now, they aren't upside down.

Last edited:

Jake0147

...After locating the right stuff I noticed the "Made In CHINA" printing on the side of the box. Knowing that the only hardware store that sells quality 100% USA stuff was 25 miles away in Friday traffic and NOT in my local community I had a tough time deciding on what to do...

..... I won't tell you what I did, but I did the right thing......

I don't even care what you did. If a few more people would just consider this variable as an actual factor in their purchase... Reflect on the fact that this might influence them in some way today and down the road, we'd all be a lot better off. I had a similar dilemma adding a heater to my truck. I needed two stinkin' bolts with washer's and nuts. Two choices, SAE sizes that are imported, or the place that has US stuff, but they are out of what I need in SAE, but they have metric that will work flawlessly. US made, but metric fasteners just aren't found on a Deuce. Next option is in Williston, 30 miles away... Tough call and a lot of frustration for two stupid bolts.

m35a2cowner

Made in USA

I am not sure if this is the place for this, but I am really concerned that so little is being made in the US and so many people only look at the price when considering a purchase. I can't say I never bought an imported item, computer, but if it was worth anything I felt darn guilty. Anyone know of movement that stresses the importance of buying American?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks