• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

battery drain...

4bogginchevys

I have a battery drain DOH! ....I think that the ignition is not killing power to something in the steering column, if I put on one of the blinkers I can hear it blink. No lights come on or anything when blinker is on (key off) and everything seems to work fine when ingnition is on...well, it's probably unrelated but the green arrow for left blinker doesn't turn on or blink, and blinkers for both sides seem pretty fast compared to normal. All lights externally work perfect.....does anyone know of a possible failed part, or a diagnostic testing procedure to figure out what might be causing this problem. As always I aprreciate everything and THANKS

Last edited:

dogkiller

batt drain test

make shure all power drains are off (remove dome light ect) remove the neg batt cable, place a test light between the neg cable & post if the light lights you have a drain/short go to the fuse block & remove fuses till the light goes out. when you pull a fuse & the light goes out you know thats the circut that has the problem...
good luck..

G-Force

As dogkiller stated wwith the test light. But I would first go to the alternators and remove the + wires from them. I'll bet you have a bad diode in one.

Scarecrow1

I agree with G-force. I had the same thing happen back in April. Every time I ran the truck it would crank right up let it set over night and it was dead as a doorbell. Had the alternator rebuilt at less than half the price of a new one . Still works great . Good luck on your repair.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They do work with the key off or on (fact).

I bet if you have your alts rebuilt with all new internal components(except the rotor and field windings), you will fix your drain problem. Bench testing them will show if they charge, but unless they specifically tested for a drain(opened them up and tested the internal components individually) they usually won't find the problem that your having.

Last edited:

tourdog

drain

well when I first got mine the same was happening i found the black out lights were staying on . I woud look for some thing simple first :heater motor , glow plugs relay ,dash light ,something like that.

4bogginchevys

Is this a first?

make shure all power drains are off (remove dome light ect) remove the neg batt cable, place a test light between the neg cable & post if the light lights you have a drain/short go to the fuse block & remove fuses till the light goes out. when you pull a fuse & the light goes out you know thats the circut that has the problem...
good luck..
well when I first got mine the same was happening i found the black out lights were staying on . I woud look for some thing simple first :heater motor , glow plugs relay ,dash light ,something like that.
also just thought bad battery. if one is bad it will kill the other
first off thanks to all who are trying....

no dome light in my kuk-vee

I tried the fuse trick with no results....

blackout lights work as normal, no lights on while key is off, or otherwise

The alt guage does not go off when key is turned off.......I wired a switch just before guage to prevent it from draining batt....but batts still drain, there's still an arc when last batt cable is connected. Alt 1 is not origanol to truck, problem is. Alt 2 is brand new, and when it was replaced.....for about the first 5 turns of the key it worked properly...then it just wouldn't go off with a turn of the key.

I haven't yet had the truck go all the way dead, it will turn over slow and the guage reads less than half(cant remember colors) but it will crank and start...I haven't had the truck long enough, and I use it atleast every other day so I really cant say how long it might take to completely drain it, maybe a week or so. My concern is with the cold weather coming I know these things have a way of popping up at the worst possible time....what should I do???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks