• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wisconsin DOT bill proposal

skinnedknuckles

It looks like there is a proposed bill that ,once it becomes a law, would allow Historic Military Vehicles to be registered in the state of Wisconsin. This new law would create a new category of HMV's with a new plate to identify them. But there will be restrictions similar to the current Wi antique plates (unrestricted use of former military vehicles will not be an option). According to my letter from Jeff Rowsam our mvpa sub-committy head.
Heres a summary of the new bill (a.k.a. the Zigmunt bill , named after the author)
1) Zigmunt HMV bill will create a new category of "Historic Military Vehicles" in Wisconsin
2) Its for any age HMV. Not just post 1968. WWII,Korean,Vietnam and desert stormera vehicles would all be included
3) New distinctive HMV plate will be issued
4) HMV will be the only option to license and operate a former Military vehicle on the road in Wi.
5) HMV law will restrict operation to public displays, parades,and special events plus driving to and from events,normal testing,maintenance and storage
6) Any former vehicle- regardless of size and weight will be allowed except that:
-foreign military vehicles imported to US must be 25 years old (this is to connect with federal requirements)
-US built military vehicle- any age (owner must show evidence with application it is US built- TM photo or reference book illustration and photo of your truck)
- we (I take it that "we" would be the mvpa?) would help design the DMV application forms so that they are easy to fill out.
- no tracked vehicles allowed on the road (including WWII half tracks)
-military motorcycles included
-trailers included
7) Must be maintained in an original military configuration,color and markings.
8 )Municipal governments may still register former MV's for local government use (DOT considers this limited use)
9) Vehicles currently registered under collector or other registration will require owner to apply for new plate. No chargefor new plate. DMV will not send notices. Estimated 1 year for HMV owners to change over without getting a ticket.
10) The fee for new registration will be 30.00 and it does not expire

These new plates could be availible next summer.

My only Questions about this bill are:
- In our trans 123 public hearing that we had back in July 2009 we were told that those with plates already ,whether collector or otherwise ,would be grandfathered in. This bill says nothing about grandfathering.
- I see that the fee would be 30.00 for new plates and no charge for those that already have collector or other plates. Do we get any refund of cash spent for the collector or other plates if we do not have any other vehicle to put them on? They are kind of pricey in the neighborhood of 200.00 or so.
- And for us that have bobbed a deuce , installed larger tires or added something onto lets say a m105 trailer to make it more comfortable as a camper, one must wonder about the term "original military configuration". How would that apply to these vehicles.

Paul in Janesville,Wi
1945 CJ-2a
1955 CJ-5
1961 m37 b-1
1968 m105a2
1971 m35a2 4x4 w/w:roll:
1971 m35a2 6x6 wo/w8)

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes CA seem pretty friendly..........................

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There IS a shorty deuce, designation escapes me right now. Tire size SHOULDN'T matter, but knowing government...

boomer

Paul,
Those are good questions, and I say we should get it in writing. Another thing I thought of; pro vs. con- if or when the next negative thing happens to us with the m v hobby, it will make for easy targets. 1 key, 1 printout. I hope not, but you just never know.

Monty

So it sounds like the people who use there MV for hauling, construction, farming, etc would be stuck unable to use the trucks for there intended purpose.
The limitations are worse than if you had collector plates on your truck.

Unless I'm reading something wrong, this sucks.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
This bill makes the People's Republic Of Maryland sound like a good place to live. I do like the part about a $30 tag for life. Maryland would not do that, trust me..

WarrenD

Just curious how they would address a HMV operating on their roads that was legally registered in another state? Or better yet, a HMV registered out of state as a commercial or other use vehicle? If folks are coming into WI for a meet, (as long as they aren't driving a tracked vehicle) are they potentially in for trouble?

skinnedknuckles

At least with collector or hobbiest plates we could drive our trucks 11 months out of 12. I'm not too happy about having a few military vehicles sitting in my driveway while paying for insurance that I can only legally drive a few times a year. In our area we don't have alot of "events" to go to (Iola, mvpg get together in Spooner -I have to get pictures posted on this one:-D , parades, a couple of car shows, VFW events, and hopefully something down at the Savanna army depot). Prior to this new bill vehicles before 1968 were not going to be bothered :!::?:. There is approx. 6 pages of words describing this bill, I am going to try to get a copy. It looks like we may have another public hearing on this in the near future. We have a similar post about the WI DOT's stand on MV's but I thought another one was in order.
Paul in Janesville, Wi.

Have O.D. green in gallons what should I paint next:-D:roll:

98hd

Just curious how they would address a HMV operating on their roads that was legally registered in another state? Or better yet, a HMV registered out of state as a commercial or other use vehicle? If folks are coming into WI for a meet, (as long as they aren't driving a tracked vehicle) are they potentially in for trouble?
From everything I've ever understood about state vehicle laws, they can't touch you. If the vehicle is legal where it's registered, it's legal where your driving it.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clueless

Does anyone have a clue to why this is NOW necessary at this time in WI's motoring history?

I don't remember hearing about a sudden number of HMV' accidents, thefts, etc. in WI or anywhere else.

croftonaviation

At least with collector or hobbiest plates we could drive our trucks 11 months out of 12.

1st. There is seriously a law that only allows you to drive 11 months out of the year? Is there something special that happens in the month you can't?

2nd. I hope you can win your fight because the bill you have mentioned looks like a steamy pile of crap. That stuff would not fly down here.

Monty

Vote NO

At least with collector or hobbiest plates we could drive our trucks 11 months out of 12.

1st. There is seriously a law that only allows you to drive 11 months out of the year? Is there something special that happens in the month you can't?

2nd. I hope you can win your fight because the bill you have mentioned looks like a steamy pile of crap. That stuff would not fly down here.
The state dosen't want someone driving their collector car all year, it costs one set price for life (I think it's $175.00, someone corect me if I'm wrong) and the additional plates are reduced.

You bet this is a steamy pile, this should be an option for people who only do drive their MV to events etc. If I want to drive my trucks to work like anyone with a collector or hobbist plate can am I now breaking the law?
What if I want to take my truck hunting? Or use it to pick up some building materials? (This falls outside the law.)
I want to help a friend pull a trailer of beans or corn out of his field with my tractor I can't because I'd be breaking the law!

This is better than not being able to register in the state at all but not much. Do I need to get a PO box in another state to be able to use my vehicals in this state/

Michael

This bill is a big win for the DMV and a big loss for the hobby. As it is now most HMVs can be used however you want to, only those newer than 1968 are in the cross hairs. This bill is so restrictive that in effect all HMVs will be taken off of the streets except for maybe 100 miles a year to go to a show or parade. Even a model T can be turned into a hot rod. This bill sounds like if it is modified in any non military way it becomes yard art.

HMV law will restrict operation to public displays, parades,and special events plus driving to and from events,normal testing,maintenance and storage

This proposed law does stink something awfull! One has to wonder why, as someone mentioned, are they proposing these changes. It kind of seems from the past posts on this subject that someone at the head of the DMV didn t like MVs and was trying their own way to restrict or remove them from the road. When the actual laws did not support this, they seemd to have found another allied to help them change the law in favor of their agenda. I hope this does not pass as being in Illinois I would hate to see this spread here or anywhere else for that matter. Has anyone really determmined what the source of this whole issue arose from?

I guess if some form of this did pass, then how many people would constitute a special event or would it be considered a public display to park the vehicle in Home Depot's lot? How about maintenance? In one of the past MV mags. it reccomended a multistep proceedure for replacing coolant by driving it to get it up to operating temp.... When checking the performance of the engine, would it not make sense to do it under load? Maybe, say a load of lumber or bricks? Maybe more people would have to form clubs to create more events to drive to and from. A weekly event, or bi weekly even.

boomer

Mike,
First, nice picture-I received an e mail of that, and some others, of U.S. troops having fun, from the Chicaland M V group. Second, I would not worry too much. I know there are a lot of smart m v-er's that know what's up, and will act accordingly. Then there's the MVPA.
Third, If you look for an event, you will always find one.

todds112

Somebody in WI DMV really has it in for MV's. They tried to cancel titles on Pinzgauer's. They got beat in a hearing and backed down. Now it appears they are trying to legislate around it. I had a feeliing when that was going on it was a matter of time before they went after all MV's. Good question as to why they are pushing this agenda. Even applies to motorcycles?!

Add WI to the list of states I would never live in.:roll:

chgofiveo

Hey Boomer...
I just went to OUR DMV (Seceretary of State) and found they dont even have a plate for us...We would have to get regular truck plates and pay by the weight of the truck and have to follow all commercial truck laws and regulations (Which would be quite expensive)

Boomer, is this true or am I missing something...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks