• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moderators/Search Function?

TyJustice

Noticing a trend lately,

I know I have only been a member since Jan 09, but I have noticed something recently with the Thread Topics, and with the popularity of purchasing “Steel Soldiers”. I think our new members must be having a hard time understanding how to use the “Search Function”.

I have noticed many of the same questions on threads are being asked that have already been discussed many times in the long history of “SteelSoldiers”. And from my personal experience, I have found that at least 75% of all my questions were answered through the “Search Function”.

Just Saying,

dstang97

I have noticed it too. I also think that we should have stickies and maybe people can write up some tech articals with picts; that can also be stickies

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a section for "tech articles", anybody can submit one. They are under Resources in the top menu bar.

Whenever I suggest others use the search function, I am offering help(not complaining). I think many new guys, either cant find the search function or don't know it exists.

btw, Why was this posted in the cucv forum, and not in the website help forum?

TyJustice

I posted this thread in the CUCV forum only because it is the one I noticed it in lately. Since I have a M1009 I mostly stay in the CUCV forum and don’t venture into the other forums to often.

I also didn’t want to use a broad brush for the entire SteelSoldiers site, if it wasn’t the case in the other forums.

I will think about that next time.

Thanks,
Ty

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, I see your point(was just wondering).

I have noticed a lot of repeat cucv questions lately. Sometimes the exact same question 2-3 times in one day!

blzrgb

If ALL questions and ALL problems eventually become solved in the Resources section, then why would anyone need to communicate on the forum ? I see the need to have problems solved without posting, but repost's don't seem to bother me. Sometimes it's just about the conversation. I thought that was what a forum was all about.:-D
:beer:

clpo

I agree blzrgb. There are times when answers are much more clear where there is a degree of interaction. I am very new to SS and sometimes the search function is not the answer to every question. If there was never an intent to discuss, why even have a forum instead of just a searchable database. I know some the the stuff must get old for longtime members, but be patient with us newer guys, we respect your knowledge and want to gain the benefit of your experineces!

ida34

The problem is when other people have answered the same question 50 times they might get like me and just not care to answer it the 51st time. I like helping but find myself unwilling to go over the same stuff over and over again. I also do like to help people out and answer what I can but I prefer to get involved in new and interesting problems not the same old "do I need a CDL to drive it" question.

clpo

While a new user, and I am not a young man. One of the things it takes a while to learn in life is that there is very little new under the sun. Get into any hobby, guns, archery, cars, (gulp) fashion, and you will find that most things come full circle, what is old is new and the same old things are happening all over again. Articles with the same topics show up over and over. If it stops being fun, there must be something wrong. its kinda like being married to the same gal for 30 years. if it gets old, maybe you picked the wrong gal!

4bogginchevys

ya, what he said

If ALL questions and ALL problems eventually become solved in the Resources section, then why would anyone need to communicate on the forum ? I see the need to have problems solved without posting, but repost's don't seem to bother me. Sometimes it's just about the conversation. I thought that was what a forum was all about.:-D
:beer:
I agree blzrgb. There are times when answers are much more clear where there is a degree of interaction. I am very new to SS and sometimes the search function is not the answer to every question. If there was never an intent to discuss, why even have a forum instead of just a searchable database. I know some the the stuff must get old for longtime members, but be patient with us newer guys, we respect your knowledge and want to gain the benefit of your experineces!
While a new user, and I am not a young man. One of the things it takes a while to learn in life is that there is very little new under the sun. Get into any hobby, guns, archery, cars, (gulp) fashion, and you will find that most things come full circle, what is old is new and the same old things are happening all over again. Articles with the same topics show up over and over. If it stops being fun, there must be something wrong. its kinda like being married to the same gal for 30 years. if it gets old, maybe you picked the wrong gal!
I agree with these quotes and add: sometimes it is not only more convenient but quicker to get a response from someone who knows the answer or may tell you where you can find it. Thats not always necessary, but I will say that my 2 months or so on the site and i'm still learning how to utilize it!:-D

motormayhem

Also sometimes I search and nothing comes up so I ask and later realize the question has been posted before, but I didn't use the exact right keywords to find it in the search. I have no problem helping new people who ask repeat questions, just as long as it hasn't been discussed 3 times in one day in three different threads.

TyJustice

Motormayhem- I have noticed that the search function can be difficult to use properly. What I have found is if you can narrow your search to 1 or 2 words, it will pull up many more hits. Then you can browse the threads to narrow your search.

I Hope that makes since?

3dubs

Well try a search of search and you will see the topic of using the search feature has been discussed over and over. Sometimes you search and you may find the thread but you have gone through so many that you miss it. Sometimes things are just a little different and you can't figure it out. I was just figuring out my glow plug relay. I knew the thread and found it, it even has pics. I had to read the short description several times to figure out how mine was set up and which relay I should get. So if you are better at searching or you know the thread. Post links to several of the previous threads so then only if there is a new issue it can be discussed. Also when someone searches and is digging through the returns and they find the one with all the links in it then it will help them too.

I been frustrated working on my truck. Then just got more frustrated searching. So I try to post links to help because people did it for me. This site is here to help people and yes it get repetitive.

coolnick73

I been frustrated working on my truck. Then just got more frustrated searching. So I try to post links to help because people did it for me. This site is here to help people and yes it get repetitive.
I think one of the problems is that when you have a specific problem and start searching too broadly you will give up after reading a few threads that don't really answer your question. You can also try searching with more focus but sometimes the threads you find will mention your question in passing without the detail you are looking for.

I agree with 3dubs that it will help new new people out to have new people like us answer some of the easy questions and hope that the experienced guys will chime in for the more difficult ones.

3dubs

One thing I do not like about the search is if you put more than one word it will return each word. I wish I could search for a phrase. Like if I am looking for a "spare tire carrier" I do not want threds with a mention of a "tire" or a "spare" fuse. I tried using quotation marks. But no matter what I try I get a bunch of unrelated stuff. Maybe that could worked on and everyone would be happier. I would love to narrow my search.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
One thing I do not like about the search is if you put more than one word it will return each word. I wish I could search for a phrase. Like if I am looking for a "spare tire carrier" I do not want threds with a mention of a "tire" or a "spare" fuse. I tried using quotation marks. But no matter what I try I get a bunch of unrelated stuff. Maybe that could worked on and everyone would be happier. I would love to narrow my search.
Try this one (copy and paste it as is:

Spare AND tire AND carrier

See how your results look.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try this one (copy and paste it as is:

Spare AND tire AND carrier
See how your results look.

Using the bolean "AND" has the same effect as a simple space between the key words on my computer....

Too bad we can't get a link in the "Resources" section to the old site PS Magazines...lots of info that can be searched there (including CUCV stuff), but not included in the search on the main page.

M725

Noticing a trend lately,

I know I have only been a member since Jan 09, but I have noticed something recently with the Thread Topics, and with the popularity of purchasing “Steel Soldiers”. I think our new members must be having a hard time understanding how to use the “Search Function”.

I have noticed many of the same questions on threads are being asked that have already been discussed many times in the long history of “SteelSoldiers”. And from my personal experience, I have found that at least 75% of all my questions were answered through the “Search Function”.

Just Saying,
And this has been discussed many times on many threads sinice I've joined.:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks