• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydro booster replacment?

pbrstreetgang

This topic has been covered, but not my actual question.

I have a bad booster leaking power steering fluid down the inside firewall into my D-side floor board.

My question is this. Should I replace the booster with one from Autozone, Advance, O'reilly, etc. that are all readily available, or should I try one of the rebuild kits that are out there for a cucv with all new seals, etc.?

My mechanic (who is also a friend of mine) says that he never has any luck with rebuild kits.

I now have two boosters in stock at my house (one is my original, the other is a used replacement off a parted out cucv that I got a good deal on.

Should I just replace with one of mine, buy new, or rebuild?

ida34

I replaced a leaking one with one from my Junkvee and it worked out just fine. I kept the bad unit so if the "new" unit starts to leak I can requild the old unit without having to take the vehicle out of service.

pbrstreetgang

Booster

Is there any market for selling the two that i have now? I know that i can turn one in at the auto parts store with core pricing.

How hard is the swap out.

It seems simple enough and seems easy to get to, other than the brake pedal.

LanceRobson

If the budget can support it, go with the store bought option. Your used one is likely 25 years old, too. It'd be different if it was a recent NOS part.

The swap is straightforward. Follow the TM directions and be sure to follow all the steps in the TM. Unless you can figure a way to suspend the master cylinder, be prepared to drain, remove and replace the master cylinder and bleed the brakes per the TM, too. Follow the master cylinder bleed directions before moving on to the wheel cylinders.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks