• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange starting issue

niferous

Ok I recently changed my glow plugs and glow plug relay as I was having some starting issues when the truck was cold. It would start but only after I cycled the glow plugs a time or two and cranked on it for a bit. After changing out the plugs and relay (ACDelco plugs, and BWD relay) it started great even cold. I was one happy camper! Well I decided to change the fuel filter and did so with a Wix and now the dang thing does not want to start when cold! I'm not sure if they are related or not but as soon as that filter was changed I started having the issue. When it's cold I will turn the key on, wait for the WAIT light to go off and crank. Now before when it didn't want to start I just had to crank it and it would eventaully chug a lug to life. Now I have to pump the accelerator and it sounds like the motor is catching but that it's not getting fuel. To describe it further I would say that the engine will sound like it's just about to start but just as it does it sounds like it's fluttering out from not getting fuel. Later on in the day after I ahve warmed it up once in the morning it starts right up with no hesitation.

If a video would help and I am not describing it well enough let me know and I can take one and post it up. Also I'm not getting any white smoke when it's cranking. I guess I should note that when I did change the filter I messed up and air locked the motor. I cracked three injectors in the parking lot and was able to get it running though.

azpatriot

I have the exact same problem w/o having changed the plugs or the relay. When I first took receipt of the vehicle it fired right up. I noticed a fuel leak, took the filter off for a look, re-assembled (yes I took the pink wire off the fuel injector to prime the filter while cranking) and have now had the problem.

niferous

Air in the system sounds likely to me too. Honestly I didn't prime the system or anything either. Just took the old one off poured some diesel in it and slapped her on. So I'm guessing this is user error but something I can fix with no new parts.

ClockworkSkin

Ok, I'm the third person with this problem today. Seriously what is going on here? Is there a secret chip that the gov't installed in these that expired today?

In all seriousness, I changed my glow plugs out a week ago. Started well the first day, and slowly got more and more difficult to start. I have not changed anything else besides the plugs.

Can anyone help?? Please!!

91W350

My earlier M1008 had a little plunger on the top of the filter housing. I used to depress it to bleed off the compressed air in the filter while the engine was idling. Just a little pfft, but it made a huge difference in the starting. The only time I ever had to do it was after a filter change. This new one I have not messed with yet, but should! Glen

niferous

I found the problem. I hope! It turns out two of the injectors I loosened to let the air out of the lines were not as tight as they should have been so I was leaking diesel everywhere. I will let it cool down tonight and then tomorrow we'll see if that was it.

l1a1man

Same here. Fired up great, got to work, came outside and crank, crank, crank, nothing. The past two weeks I had noticed the wait light was flickering on and off???

l1a1man

No, had the new fuel filter and batteries installed about 4 weeks ago. shop took it found a couple of loose wires.

niferous

Well bleeding it is very easy and may help. Just disconnect the wires that go into the top, and then on the top of the filter block there is a screw that you just open. Have someone crank the truck and air nothing will probably come out the top. Just have them keep cranking until fuel shoots out and then just replace the screw as they are still cranking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks