• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Law To Protect Wisconsin MVs Proposed

CatMan

Many of you know the fight we are in here in Wisconsin to keep the DOT from banning MV's from the public roads.

Working with the Wisconsin Legistature and the DOT and attorneys and Military Vehicle Collectors, a bill proposal has been created that will create a seperate catagory for Historic Military Vehicles. The new catagory has restriction on use. No daily drivers or commercial use. A special license plate will be issued. Registration is a one time $30 per vehicle, non expiring.

The Bill is LRB-3284/4. It is being circulated to legislators this week and next for co sponsorship and support.

If you live in Wisconsin we need your help. Please contact your state legislators and Senators and ask them to support LRB-3284/4.
The alternative will be no MV's driven on road in Wisconsin.

We have set up a blog and posted more documents, the bill and FAQ's.
Check the blog for updates at http://wihmvbill.blogspot.com Wisconsin Historic Military Vehicle Bill Update

Thanks

Cat Man / collector advocate

Last edited:

stumps

Better than nothing, I suppose, but it seems to me that you are giving up way more than you should. If you pass this bill, there is no way you will ever be able to get back the full use of your MV's.

And yes, I have a dog in this show, as I own a second home in Wisconsin, and I am a land owner. I'd sure like to see you guys try a little harder to get this right.

-Chuck

skinnedknuckles

Jeff a.k.a. CatMan,
Just a couple of questions:
I understand that there has not been much discussion on the titling issue , just mainly on the registration issue, but has there been anything said if there will be an actual title issued for new owners of MV's and do the current owners still get to keep their title? It would make it easier for people moving out of state when it comes time to register in their new home state.
In the case of hobbiest plates, would the same ruling for collector plates also apply ( retention by owner and use on qualified hobbiest vehicles) ?
You can bet your bippy ( I know its an old term) that I will be getting ahold of my legislators again.
Please keep us informed when the next public hearing is going to be held we are going to need a bunch more people at this one if we are going to fill that room again as we will not have the support of the street rodder groups like before when this mess was so vague.
I still have to say Thanks for fighting this one for us even though it might not be exactly what we want. Its better than the possible alternative of having a big o.d green flower pot in the front yard.
Paul in Janesville, Wi

"Sometimes in an uphill battle its he who slings the most mud gets to the top:driver:":grd:

lacoda56

The way I see it, Catman and others have done an amazing job just getting the Wis. DMV to back down from banning hmv's from wis. roadways. If this bill is what they'll agree to, then so be it! The alternative is park or haul every mv from '68 on up. I don't feel that's an option. Anyone from any other state want to move here and take up the fight, feel free.:roll: If Wis. bans mv's you can be sure other states will notice and follow our sad lead. You gotta remember that they have federal law on their side, and if they want to play that card, we're all screwed.

trukhead

Wixconsin MV Road and License Issues

With the new administration in the house on the hill it is time to renew the issue of CUCV and Duece issues and the 5 ton and up MV's as well.
If they are good enough for the Govm't to use why can't we use them?

WE PAID FOR THE **** THINGS!!!!

Just because some bureaucrat doesn't like them, we can't use them, Ba HUM BUG!! The state sold me a CUCV and now I can't title it for use, BA HUmbug!!!

I like my A3 and I'd like to title it in a regular usable fashion.

I don't think it is a wise choice for everyday use for various reasons but this is America and I'd like to have it available for use on the farm once and a while!!!

:grd:

trukhead

Cool!

Thanks for spotting that and passing it on! can't wait to get mY stuff Licensed and insured so I can meet you'll at some future event!

Ps. Sorry about the high price on some of my stuff in the classifieds but if the other fellas woulda quit bidding I coulda got the tires dheaper , but NOO! LOL

:driver:[thumbzup]

Flyingvan911

If the lawmakers insist on a milage limit they should make it atleast 5,000 a year. Driving the trucks is part of keeping them running properly.

Flyingvan911

And no limit as to how far you can drive it from the address at which the truck is registered. In Missouri you can't drive a historicly registered vehicle more than 100(?) miles from home. And a 1,000 mile a year limit for personal, non parade/display use. That's why I have a BL24 plate.

A

A/C Cages

Ive seen fire depts and your forestry depts all using M35s for their trucks, does this mean that they will have to give them up too?
Dont let them take your freedoms from you. Fight till the end. Make it a public display. Go on TV. Get the VFW involved.

mckeeranger

Ive seen fire depts and your forestry depts all using M35s for their trucks, does this mean that they will have to give them up too?
Dont let them take your freedoms from you. Fight till the end. Make it a public display. Go on TV. Get the VFW involved.
Wisconsin conveniently exempted government trucks from the restrictions.

CatMan

Law To Protect Wisconsin MV's Proposed

We could probably start a new thread on this subject since alot has happened since 2009.

We are still actively engaged with the legislature and are working to draft the amendments that we wanted in the original Historic Military Vehicle law that took effect in Oct 2010.

As with almost every state there are TWO ways to register a vehicle. Registration as a Historic, Antique, Vintage, Collector or whatever. And this path most always has a much lower fee, many are a one time lifetime registration and in exchange for limited use there are restrictions against use as daily transportation. Can't have it both ways.

There are different issues with annual registration for unrestricted regular transportation. We took the path of first creating a law to protect historic Military Vehicles, knowing that it would be a seperate issue to change the law to allow regular registration. None of this legislative stuff happens overnight.

We didn't get everything we wanted the first time. THat happens when you make laws. Nut now that we have the HMV law we can register the vehicles (with restrictions) and after operation for 12 months we will be able to use the DMV's registration data to demonstrate the MV safety record in WI. Then we have the ammunition to go back to the state senate transportation committee and amend and add "add occasional personal use" under the HMV law. The legislature would not allow us to include "personel use"in the original bill because there was no hard data to prove that former HMV's are safe or unsafe when driven by civilians as personel vehicles in WI. There are other enhancements like parking parts vehicles that we will get added at the same time.

Now as far a creating a change to state law to allow regular annual registration of former military vehicles for regular transport, that will take a seperate effort to change Wisconsin state motor vehicle law.

There is a new secretary of transportation - he is a Vietnam Era Navy Vet and there have already been some favorable changes occuring in the WI DOT. The new governor is a little bit busy with some bigger state budget issues right now.

For those MV owners who want to mount a campaign to change current state law to allow registration of former military vehicles for regular transportation, I encourage you to organize, form a plan, find a legislator who will help write and sponsor a bill and start lobbying the legislature. Just be very very careful how you craft the bill and what you ask for.

Having been thru the process, I'll be happy to help anyone that wants to know how the process works. Feel free to PM me and we'll talk some more.

Earlier in this tread, someone identified municipal vehicles as being allowed without restrictions. YES, That was our idea! The DOT was ready to ban former MV's from municipal service also. We convinced the DOT that former military vehicles are used by state agencies and municipal governments in specialized rolls like wild fire control and emergency government responce.
We got the DOT to agree that in that type of use, the mileage is minimized and a municipality would seldom take a former military vehicle turned emergency responce truck outside the city or county where it is kept.

We did that to allow municipalities to continue to aquire, use and later SELL surplus vehicles to us. That provides a source of ex MV's for us in the future.

WE are not finished with the HMV law in Wisconsin. Starting the process for annual registration for regular transportation is a whole different (and harder) process.

It is not over but don't think that these changes just happen because we have a new governor. There is more to do. And it is being worked.

Thanks for "asking"............

Cat Man

CatMan

Steel and Canvas

Is the MVPA involved in this? Oh yes! When I testified at several public hearings during the legislative process, it was on behalf of the membership with the blessing of the MVPA board and the MVPA affiliate clubs in the state. Numbers speak volumes.

As a result of some of the process that we learned here in WI I've been helping the MVPA board become more active with legislative issues. The MVPA is now much more activley working on expanding the legislative roll. But for many of these issues, it remains a state by state issue.

One example of MVPA involvment is the recent affiliation with the Historic Vehicle Association in North America. We help support the same goals of "keeping yesterdays vehicles on tomorrows roads".

Check out WWW.HVA.org and look for an full article in the next issue of Supply Line.

Cat Man

steelandcanvas

Steel and Canvas

Is the MVPA involved in this? Oh yes! When I testified at several public hearings during the legislative process, it was on behalf of the membership with the blessing of the MVPA board and the MVPA affiliate clubs in the state. Numbers speak volumes.Cat Man
Thanks, Cat Man. Just wanted to be sure all available avenues were being utilized. Good Luck with your battle, let me know if there is anything the Club or I can do for the cause.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks